Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enigma Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
OCvertDe
blink.gif

Gayness. (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

frusty.gif
Tibro
Wooden token for a hyperlink.
Stroller
Enigma
Wild Bill Turkey
It still says LdF right on the label, so obviously this doesn't mean a break with them. Does this mean we may be seeing this fine product on international shores soon?

PV?
absinthist
Fużrol. Very difficult to be pronounced, indeed frusty.gif
Absomphe
Fudgie Rolls by any other name…
OCvertDe
HA!
I do like BdF quite a bit, never found VdF to be anything special. That being said, There are enough superior blanche options out there close enough to the BdF price range that this Lucidesque gimmick of a label will prevent me from adding any more of the product to my shelf, even if it is identical inside.
I realize most of you who's roots run deep in the community left the Fougerolles behind years ago as better CO's came to the fore; but being still comparatively wet behind the ears, the novelty had not yet worn off for me. It seems it's taken an aesthetic… turn off… to force me to get with the times.
Green Baron
I fuckin' heart the BdF…after 8+ months of aging. I don't think it's outdated or anything, it just needs to rest so it's not an overwhelming beast.
Absomphe
I used to be quite fond of the BDF, but I think it would have been amazing as whole distillation rather than an assemblage.
speedle
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 28 2010, 06:18 PM) *

Lucidesque gimmick of a label

You people. Actually, I kinda like the label, but then again I like Lucid's label too, so there's no accounting for taste. Too bad the VdF inside will taste the same. In hindsight though, I wish I would have hung on to my bottle long enough to let it rest a few months before my snap judgement sent it off to Freddie land.
Green Baron
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Mar 28 2010, 05:26 PM) *

I used to be quite fond of the BDF, but I think it would have been amazing as whole distillation rather than an assemblage.

No doubt, but that's like saying "This Prius would be an awesome car if it didn't suddenly accelerate apropos of nothing". They can't all be Rolls Royceses, just sit back and enjoy it for what it is I say.

Ok never mind, that was a horrible analogy.

Is La Coquette a Nimes style? If so, it's interesting to compare it with Belle Amie 2009 as an assemblage vs. whole contrast (along with BA's more subtle base). LC is pretty good but BA2 definitely has more rounded and nuanced flavors.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(speedle @ Mar 28 2010, 09:50 PM) *
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 28 2010, 06:18 PM) *
Lucidesque gimmick of a label
You people. Actually, I kinda like the label, but then again I like Lucid's label too, so there's no accounting for taste.

Picking on the label was perhaps throwing the baby out with the bathwater a bit. If they had not changed the name I wouldn't mind it the new styling. "de Fougerolles" is an appropriate name in the classic tradition of the spirit, but "Enigma Absinthe" just screams to all the fratboys in the bar to light it on fire… at least that's how it hit's me.
I'm reminded of Ford coming to the conclusion that people weren't buying the Five Hundred because they couldn't get used to the name, so to boost sales slapped a Taurus badge on it instead. They were right of course, and the name did prove to be greater than the sum of parts in the car, but that's beyond the point that this analogy ceases to be relevant. The whole thing smells of gimmick marketing, as if they knew something wasn't working and a fresh new name for the same old product would fix the problem. I would counter with the suggestion that if the dF's aren't selling as well as they once did, it isn't because people can't pronounce the name, it's because there are superior alternatives available in abundance these days for the same money or less- most of which aren't resorting to snazzy names for the new millennium to garner sales.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.