Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Email be Private?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Provenance
Should the government be required to have a search warrent before reading your email?

Yahoo is challenging the government’s position and defying a court order to turn over some customer e-mail to the feds. Google, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Center for Democracy & Technology and other groups late Tuesday told the federal judge presiding over the case that accessing e-mail under 180 days old requires a valid warrant under the Fourth Amendment, regardless of whether it has been read.

“The government says the Fourth Amendment does not protect these e-mails,” Kevin Bankston, an EFF lawyer, said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “What we’re talking about is archives of our personal correspondence that they would need a warrant to get from your computer but not from the server.”

If the courts adopt the government’s position, the vast majority of Americans’ e-mail would be accessible to the government without probable cause, whenever law enforcement believes the messages would be relevant to a criminal investigation, even if the e-mail’s owner is not suspected of wrongdoing.

Amicus brief
Jaded Prole
Change wecan believe in.
Tibro
Should forum owners' need legally granted permission to screen PM's? Opinions differ.
Shabba53
I know you believe Hiram read PMs. I can tell you it's not true. And I don't care if you believe me, so I'm not going to argue it.
Tibro
You can tell me that the discs in your back are particularly flexible and that you're able to give yourself oral pleasure. I still don't want to know your secrets and I reserve the right to believe that there's possibly something dirty about the way you do things. Although it may not be exactly as you profess.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Tibro @ Apr 15 2010, 07:36 PM) *

I reserve the right to believe that there's possibly something dirty about the way you do things.

Frankly, I don't care. I'm clean as a whistle, whether you want to believe it or not. Given I'm in a position where both my wife and I are under a microscope both professionally and personally, it would be very easy for me to prove you wrong, simply by the fact that we both still have our jobs.

But again, I'm not here to defend myself. It's a lost cause with you. No matter what the discussion at hand is, you still find a way to focus on me personally. That says a lot about your obsession with me.
Tibro
Your right, its time I put my eye to the microscope focused on your wife. Get outta my light so I can focus, will ya?
Shabba53
Feel free. She'd knock you down a peg or two.
Head_prosthesis
Get a room you two!
Tibro
Well, here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.
Shabba53
One thing I can credit you with Tibro is originality. No one's ever said that before!

…ahem…

And just a sidenote to the audience, I have nothing against Tibro. I've said it multiple times. The only hostility is his. I've still never figured it out, either.
Stroller
both my wife and I are under a microscope both professionally and personally

Your sacrifice to the Worshipful Master of WS is duly noted.
Wild Bill Turkey
I'm not saying this ancient bullshit is getting tedious, I'm just saying it's getting really fucking tedious and boring.
Stroller
I can only assume that if the government prevails this will be next on their agenda.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Apr 16 2010, 02:12 PM) *

I'm not saying this ancient bullshit is getting tedious, I'm just saying it's getting really fucking tedious and boring.

What he said.
Shabba53
Then talk to the other guy about it. I'm done taking the blame for defending myself.
speedle
Well, then, what Stroller said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.