Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beirut
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
Ron Gallant
For some reason, this album takes me away to France and the absinthe ages. Of course, I know little of the music of the time and wasn't there. lol
But it feels right. Check out "A Sunday Smile"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5IrGoC-6I
Provenance
It's considered polite to introduce yourself on your first post. Perhaps that's what there is entire section of the forum named The Entrance Hall.

Also, please refrain from using the term "lol."

Thank you.

Edit: based on the remarks below
Tibro
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 22 2010, 04:52 PM) *

Perhaps that's what their is

Perhaps you need some who could explain why it's there.
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 22 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Also, please refrain from using the term "lol."

Am I allowed to use the term WOW?!? Where I am from, it's considered polite to treat guests with some respect and not just jump on them with rules.
It was nice, I am guessing I will be blocked from the forum for such an outrageous reply.

Cheers absintheglass-glow2.gif

Edit: Miss use of quote feature.
eric
Oh Dear!
Another one.
Artemis
You won't be blocked, but you might get tackled.

Provenance is okay. His response was pretty mild - it could be a lot worse.

A lot of people expect and appreciate an introductory post in the section for introductions.

Lol and shorthand of that sort are discouraged here as sort of childish. And it's probably not even true. I mean, were you really laughing out loud? Or laughing at all?
Ron Gallant
It's interesting to me that both of the absinthe forums I have visited have this policy. I am a member of other forums (watches, straight razors, etc) that have a very knowledgeable and classy groups of users, but do not feel the need to define my language unless of course it is insulting or defamatory.

I mean, it's your forum. It's a rather quiet one of late, but its yours.

I guess I will use terms like cdog-plain.gif and poop.gif to stay classy and "de la culture absinthe".

Oh, and hi. Nice to meet you all.
Artemis
It's interesting to me that both of the absinthe forums I have visited have this policy.

I think the WWS has a substitution filter for "lol" - I thought we had it here, but it's been so long since anybody used it, I guess I lost track. We should have it here.

I am a member of other forums (watches, straight razors, etc) that have a very knowledgeable and classy groups of users, but do not feel the need to define my language unless of course it is insulting or defamatory.

A well-crafted insult would go over better than "lol" here.

I mean, it's your forum. It's a rather quiet one of late, but its yours.

Yet, you're here ... and now it's yours, too.
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 22 2010, 04:48 PM) *
were you really laughing out loud? Or laughing at all?

Is anything myself or you say here necessarily true? spoon.gif poop.gif frusty.gif

From now on I will use LOI when I am not LOL but only on the inside.
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 22 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Yet, you're here … and now it's yours, too.

Indeed. I will have to be physically removed from the pub before you see the last of me. abs-cheers.gif
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(eric @ Apr 22 2010, 04:46 PM) *

Oh Dear!
Another one.

Could you be more specific?
Artemis
Is anything myself or you say here necessarily true?

Speaking for myself, I trust the gentle readers to know the difference without shorthand disclaimers. You can trust them too, in my opinion.
Ron Gallant
Anyhow, I guess no one enjoyed the music. Ah well.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 22 2010, 02:11 PM) *
I am a member of other forums (watches, straight razors, etc) that have a very knowledgeable and classy groups of users, but do not feel the need to define my language unless of course it is insulting or defamatory.

Welcome to a forum with yet a higher standard of English usage. May you benefit from our stringent standards. bobw.gif
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 22 2010, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 22 2010, 02:11 PM) *

Welcome to a forum with yet a higher standard of English usage. May you benefit from our stringent standards. bobw.gif

Indeed. chickawow.gif I feel cultured already. blink.gif
Artemis
I wasn't crazy about the video, but I find tinsel distracting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAir96N3iOs...feature=related

Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 22 2010, 06:18 PM) *

I wasn't crazy about the video, but I find tinsel distracting.

I believe the video I posted was not original. I really like the live version you posted as well.

"tinsel"??
Provenance
Is there any particular reason you pointlessly post quote the post directly above your own?
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 22 2010, 06:27 PM) *

Is there any particular reason you pointlessly post quote the post directly above your own?

I like hearing from the peanut gallery? harhar.gif
OCvertDe
Wow, things sure have loosened up since I joined.
Advice: you can't beat 'em. Join 'em, or shove off for greener pastures.
Also, welcome.
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 22 2010, 06:27 PM) *

In a forum with apparently thousands of users, like to point out the phrase that I am replying.

I think you should petition to have me blocked immediately. I am clearly a troll and a nonconformist.

LARS!.gif
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Apr 22 2010, 06:38 PM) *

Wow, things sure have loosened up since I joined.
Advice: you can't beat 'em. Join 'em, or shove off for greener pastures.
Also, welcome.

This has become so ridiculous I feel I like an American in Iran. Only my persecution for not obeying the ridiculous rules against non-hostile interactions, is ridicule and removal from the area.

Legler-Pernod-mini.gif BYOA
Stroller
You might try an absinthe forum called the Louched Lounge. abs-cheers.gif
Artemis
"tinsel"??

Frank Costanza on Seinfeld doesn't appreciate the traditional Christmas tree because he finds tinsel distracting. Thus he puts up an aluminum pole, because it's simple and straightforward. I found the images in the video uninteresting and I didn't like the music either. When I watched the video of the band I liked the music a lot better maybe because I was not distracted by the tinsel (a tacky decoration that distracts from the simple beauty of the tree).
Ron Gallant
@Stroller And you my friend are a man of class and wisdom. bye1.gif
Ron Gallant
Ah, thanks. I didn't like the video either.

QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 22 2010, 06:59 PM) *

(a tacky decoration that distracts from the simple beauty of the tree).

I was at a forum one time like that.
Jaded Prole
You are more than welcome to pull up a stool and have a drink. We don't kick people out here but like any community, we have our traditions and have developed very few expectations of which you have been politely informed. Don't post a repetition of the post directly above yours and try to adhere to a proper use of the language unless you are being specifically colloquial. If on the other hand you wandered here to stir up a fight and get insults, you will certainly get them and you may be out of your league.

I note that you have tried Lucid and want to learn more. You might peruse our Buyer's Guide section for reviews of other brands. I recommend Walton Waters and Pacifique.
Ron Gallant
Out of my league or just surrounded with birds of the feather? Hard to win over the audience when the laugh track is set against you.

Yes, they are on my short list. Is Jade PF 1901 still possible to buy? Sounds like one I would love to try.
Stroller
LDF should have it.
Artemis
It's coming to the U.S. this year, according to the girl at the desk in the absinthe museum in New Orleans. But then she also directed me to a bar that turned out to be padlocked.
Artemis
It's possible that she only meant that more would be available this year, and not that it would actually be for sale in the U.S.
Stroller
The label was approved December 30th.
Ron Gallant
Some of the best bars are padlocked. You didn't know the secret knock.
Artemis
It's on Decatur Street and it was the middle of the day. Maybe it's only open at night - apparently I didn't ask all the right questions. It was a little better than the woman at the public information booth who told me she didn't know where the bar was and didn't care because she doesn't drink, and she didn't think absinthe was legal anyway. In the window of the bar was a less than encouraging bottle of some Euro-swill, but supposedly they have the widest selection in town. It's alright, the Acme Oyster House is always open and they have Abita beer.
Ron Gallant
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 22 2010, 07:50 PM) *

The label was approved December 30th.

This is good news. Very good news.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 22 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Some of the best bars are padlocked. You didn't know the secret knock.

So then, you do understand the concept of observing the established protocols of a place you want to be, regardless of how ridiculous you may think they are…
Ron Gallant
No idea what your talking about.
Tibro
QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 23 2010, 12:39 AM) *

I am clearly a troll

Well, at least you haven't complained yet about not being respected and appreciated.

Hard to win over the audience when the laugh track is set against you.

First you need to familiarize yourself with the audience, then you might understand that there is no laugh track. We are not ashamed to laugh live at the foibles of the feeble. Pathetic assholes just get ignored. My advice is to abandon your search to find the separating line.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 22 2010, 09:49 PM) *

No idea what your talking about.

It's "you're".
Also: I'm far too lazy to explain it to you. If you don't get it, I don't see your burden here lightening anytime soon.
Grim
QUOTE(Ron Gallant @ Apr 21 2010, 02:55 PM) *

For some reason, this album takes me away to France and the absinthe ages. Of course, I know little of the music of the time and wasn't there. lol
But it feels right. Check out "A Sunday Smile"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5IrGoC-6I

I enjoyed it… took me back to SoCal.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 22 2010, 06:41 PM) *
But then she also directed me to a bar that turned out to be padlocked.

Pravda? Someone wanted to visit that one, but I never get around to going when I'm there….

It's funny, in all my visits I've only had absinthe in one bar in NOLA, and that was in 2001.

Artemis
That's the one. The girl in the museum said the name twice without me making out what she said, and I didn't feel like asking her a third time, which is why I had to ask the info booth woman. But I did vaguely remember the street address, so I found it. It's across the street from the French Market. Strange that a bar was locked up on St. Patrick's Day, and with millions of Iowegians and such in the street for events that were going on in town. But it's not like I really cared about the absinthe; it was just a lark. I also tried to visit the bar where I met you for the first time, behind the cathedral, but it didn't even seem to be there - part of that block is under renovation, though.
thegreenimp
I've heard the owner can be difficult, which is why I've never gone out my way to visit the place.

I'm more interested in places that can actually mix a proper drink, I can deal with getting a glass of green hooch on my own. (You understand)

I bought a glass of commercial stuff in a local bar, while entertaining a young lady recently, I was happier drinking a Sazerac, but I was expected to order some green booze…

When they set up the small fountain, half of the damn bar had to watch, then I had to explain all the myths were just that, to the watchers.

I'd rather have a Sazerac, and save the absinthe for the house.
G&C
Indeed!
Patlow
What she said…
Patlow
Without starting a new thread…

Beach House is great.

(Cool, melancholy, pretty and defensively optimistic, maybe even special? A great album to listen to while doing anything.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbtR8uO81M
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Apr 24 2010, 09:14 PM) *

When they set up the small fountain, half of the damn bar had to watch, then I had to explain all the myths were just that, to the watchers.

I'd rather have a Sazerac, and save the absinthe for the house.

It is kind of funny how absinthe's legalization has ended up somewhat of an annoyance at bars and restaurants. I don't like drawing so much attention to myself. Almost nobody behind any bar knows how to make a good glass, so you've got to do it yourself, so that involves the fountain, and then people want to watch. So then they ask about absinthe and you explain to them how the myths are bogus, and then they walk away and tell their friends "that guy was drinking the stuff that made Van Gogh go crazy". I suppose it shouldn't be surprising, as not many people in bars are interested in history lessons.

Absinthe is best enjoyed at home.
Kirk
I was in a bar in Indiana last week and a tough girl there was telling people everything (wrong) about absinthe.
I quietly began to explain the truth about it and was quickly drowned out by a bar full of experts. It was very hard to maintain a straight face.
Tibro
Having to get involved in giving an history lesson detracts from my personal enjoyment of savoring a nice glass of absinthe. I'm apt to let people think what they will. But I've heard of fooks that make it their mission to get all pedantic on people and enjoy getting it on that way. I'm not one of them. It's just a drink, after all.
Patlow
I have FV FAQs printed out at my house for guests, but at a bar, yeah, it's hardly worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.