Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Take Mine Without!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
G&C
So, what do you?
Stroller
If you want to ruin good Absinthe, just add sugar.
Steve
I used to use sugar but haven't for years. I don't think it ruins it though.
Stroller
Same thing for coffee/espresso. Adding sugar renders it undrinkable.
kaseijin
I'll sugar it once in a blue moon. I don't think it ruins it at all, though I generally prefer sans-sucre.
moschops
I'll pass on the sugar.
speedle
I mainline sugar. But only pre-ban.
Steve
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 28 2010, 09:48 AM) *
Same thing for coffee/espresso. Adding sugar renders it undrinkable.

Yes, absolutely.
Shabba53
Agreed.
Green Baron
Hey good to see you moschops! One of your photos has been my desktop background for the last couple years. Are you on FlickR by any chance?

I generally don't drink mine with sugar, and if I'm in the mood I'll usually only use about 1/4 of a cube. However, with every bottle I try to have at least one glass with a full cube just for evaluation purposes. And when I was drinking Lucid I'd always use sugar to smooth things out, and to mitigate the sweatiness.

I don't know if it will be the case every time, but so far I think grape based absinthes seem to stand up better to sugar than grain or beet.
Provenance
Sans Sucre!

Nonetheless, I do have a fondness for magnificently crafted drip decelerators.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 28 2010, 09:11 AM) *

If you want to ruin good Absinthe, just add sugar.

Tibro
I endeavor never to take sugar without cocoa, although it can be a struggle. But I absolutely never take absinthe with cocoa.
absinthist
QUOTE(Provenance @ Apr 28 2010, 09:35 AM) *

Sans Sucre!

Ditto.
Touch-money
I have a sweet tooth and I always use one sugar cube. That being said, though, when trying something new for the first time I will have one or two glasses without sugar first before returning to my one cube ritual.
Kirk
I never sugar my absinthe.
Provenance
Even though you craft the world's finest grilles and spoons.
http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-buy/kirk1.html
OCvertDe
Hmm… I appear to be in the majority for a change.
Phoenix
I have a sweet tooth, so I like a little sugar. While I agree that the best don't need it, sugar doesn't ruin them for me. I'd love to own one of Kirk's artemisia spoons someday.

That said, I'd never use sugar on pre-ban.
Marc
With and without, I do both, almost always, including pre-bans. Exceptions are Bleues where I usually never add sugar, except recently in a Duvallon, following the producer advice to make it taste differently, and it did, in a good way.

Sugar does not ruin absinthe (nor coffee).
Artemis
Sugar does not ruin absinthe (nor coffee).

Well said.
to make it taste differently,

And it will do that for just about any absinthe. You never know until you try it. It's not just a matter of making it sweeter, but of giving it an entirely different taste.
dakini_painter
I never sugar absinthe. A frappe, I always use some sugar in the form of simple syrup.

As for coffee, I used to always drink it black. But there days I add some sugar there, and if I'm having an ultrablack and thick cowgirl coffee, I add sugar, which balances it.

If I'm forced to drink StarSwill, the only possible way is as a latte (or what they call a latte) so the milk and sugar totally obscure the wretched coffee (or what they call coffee).
Provenance
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Apr 28 2010, 02:23 PM) *
the wretched coffee (or what they call coffee).

Ha!
Touch-money
I'm glad to see that someone else also voted for always with a little sugar. I am no longer the lone wolf.
Phoenix
I like the Domino Dots sugar cubes. Due to their small size, they give just a little accent to the absinthe. If you haven't tried them yet, check 'em out.
Zman
I like my absinthe with sugar. Always.
G&C
You mis-voted then, because you always use a lot!
Green Baron
A lot- like some of the pre-ban photos with the cubes stacked three high? Sugar.gif
Touch-money
I've seen those, and that is just too much sugar! I have a sweet tooth, but not that sweet.
MrsAbsomphe
I'm too sweet to need sugar with my absinthe!

Hello, G&C!!! Your poll has dragged me from my self-imposed exile.

---Tish looking-up.gif
Marc
Glad to see you Madame!

QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 28 2010, 11:22 PM) *

It's not just a matter of making it sweeter, but of giving it an entirely different taste.

What the green man said.
Aggelos
Well, since most of the brands I'm drinking are elaborated with the idea sugar will be added, I most of the time add sugar. Not always, but I won't taste a new absinthe without a little sugar.

Generic exception though : as I was told, you don't add sugar to a swiss bleue, per tradition. So I don't.
Even for Duvallon, damn, it's already extremely fruity.

Well, I did not add much to what Marc said in fact…

Oh, hell, I'll add a trivia then : until late 19th, absinthe was drunk without sugar, which is why :
- Most brouille are not easy to use with sugar (they are among the earliest paraphenalia)
- Spoons appear in the late XIXth
absinthist
Just high above and the underlined:

IPB Image

Aggelos
1°) Source
2°) First method : dilute, add sugar on spoon, dilute sugar, pour water to complete. Second method stated as russian : pour absinthe on sugared water, stir (first time I've heard of that)

What was your point ?
Tibro
Some folks take absinthe with sugar and some sugar with absinthe?
Aggelos
Some treat objects like women, man.
absinthist
QUOTE(Aggelos @ Apr 29 2010, 02:19 AM) *

1°) Source

"Encyclopédie illustrée d'hygiène alimentaire" of 1905. The point was sugar was Johnny come late, so your theory is valid as you say it was not until late 19th century.

And some mistreat absinthe.
Aggelos
Thanks for the source.

Well, absinthe did not stand for sacred at the time. While sugar has been wildly popular in the end, absinthe with syrup (simple syrup, or fruity syrups) has been drunk very early
absinthist
As of 1816 we can read in a prospect of Neuchatel that absinthe was to be consumed 1-2 spoons with soup, with white wine or water, albeit while wine provided energy, with water it was more aromatic.
G&C
Hello Mrs. A!
'bout time you showed yourself.

We have nearly 2000 registered members and only 30 have taken the poll? I realize it's been a little less than 24 hours but WTF?
It's not a war or argument, it's a non-scientific science project.

All one need do is click a choice and move on. No comments needed, but all are welcome.
Touch-money
Maybe they fear being bludgeoned to death by a fountain if they vote incorrectly?
Tibro
G&C initiating science experiments is a frightening proposition. I know I hesitated before registering my vote. And a strange scar I never noticed before appeared immediately after I did. I don't know what it means.
Artemis
I rarely drink absinthe anymore. I don't bother with a fountain or any of that - my only requirement is spring water because most tap water is nasty. I try it with water only and then stir a little granulated sugar (organic sugar cane sugar) into it to see how that affects the flavor. It's not really a matter of making it sweeter, as absinthe in general is fairly sweet to me. If I like it better with sugar I'll probably use sugar again the next time with that particular absinthe, unless I'm already sitting down and the sugar is still in the cupboard. I might even use tap water if nothing else is available. About the only thing I wouldn't do is drink it straight.
Ron
I've got a bunch of spoons, but I don't sugar. I've also not come across an absinthe that I felt really needed additional sweetening either. If I do though, I'll probably test it with sugar to see if that does the trick.
Marc
QUOTE(Aggelos @ Apr 29 2010, 10:07 AM) *

until late 19th, absinthe was drunk without sugar, which is why :
- Most brouille are not easy to use with sugar (they are among the earliest paraphenalia)
- Spoons appear in the late XIXth

Perforated spoons appeared in late 19th, yes, but absinthe was drunk with sugar way before that, and probably since the first commercial release, using either a cordial spoon, a coffee spoon, or any other stirring material.
moschops
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 29 2010, 02:32 PM) *

I might even use tap water …

Me too. Simple as tap to tipple.

IPB Image
G&C
There is no right or wrong answer.
However, I know there are those out there using two or sometimes more cubes, yet no one has clicked lots of sugar.
Provenance
I'm impressed that moschops can make a picture of a tap louche over dirty dishes look amazing.
Absomphe
Looks like my kinda dose, too.
Provenance
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 30 2010, 06:23 AM) *

Looks like my kinda dose breakfast, too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.