Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian Troops Off-limits from Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Brett
Not an actual news article so much as something I saw happen.

I happened to be on government work in an EU country that see a number of Canadian troops filter through. The CO of the contingent there mentioned to the troops that the "absinthe they might happen to buy in bars or corner stores" was off-limits and went on to explain that he had been in contact with both Canadian Border Services and "the police" back home and the aforementioned absinthe was illegal to import because it contained a banned hallucinogen.

Which really got me…

No absinthe (to my knowledge) has ever been banned by Canada. There are chop.gif restrictions, but I'm fairly certain no brand names are mentioned and really CBSA wouldn't know the difference and the provincial, city or municipal police probably wouldn't have any idea.

I checked out a few bottles of what was being sold at off-licenses…and its all generic Czech junk. Bad enough…but the worst part is that the rules imply the absinthe is okay to drink at bars, just not bring home…meaning there's going to be a couple hundred Canadian troops just coming back to alcohol after six months looking for something to really get them out of reality.
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Brett @ May 13 2010, 02:52 AM) *

Not an actual news article so much as something I saw happen.

I happened to be on government work in an EU country that see a number of Canadian troops filter through. The CO of the contingent there mentioned to the troops that the "absinthe they might happen to buy in bars or corner stores" was off-limits and went on to explain that he had been in contact with both Canadian Border Services and "the police" back home and the aforementioned absinthe was illegal to import because it contained a banned hallucinogen.

Which really got me…

No absinthe (to my knowledge) has ever been banned by Canada. There are chop.gif restrictions, but I'm fairly certain no brand names are mentioned and really CBSA wouldn't know the difference and the provincial, city or municipal police probably wouldn't have any idea.

I checked out a few bottles of what was being sold at off-licenses…and its all generic Czech junk. Bad enough…but the worst part is that the rules imply the absinthe is okay to drink at bars, just not bring home…meaning there's going to be a couple hundred Canadian troops just coming back to alcohol after six months looking for something to really get them out of reality.

True absinthe never been banned … however good brand are showing up such at La clandestine Kübler and taboo
Brett
QUOTE(EdouardPerneau @ May 14 2010, 08:13 PM) *

True absinthe never been banned … however good brand are showing up such at La clandestine Kübler and taboo

True. The only brands I saw were questionable Czech or other Eastern European brands. I'm not really sure how the verdict came down that people would get in trouble for importing any brand of absinthe, as from what I understand since absinthe in general is legal, its up to the provinces to determine what is allowed. I just found it really weird, and even worse it is spreading misinformation to an already misinformed audience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.