Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to forum
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
Still-Life
It is amazing what is out here on the internet. I have been a part of many forums tied to related subjects, so it is a treat to join this one.

I have been a brewer since 1980. I co-founded a micro and served as head-brewer for a decade. I have been running stills for many years, having received a license back in 1995.

I have made absinthe on occasions, but not for a few years. I am waiting for the harvest season to go at it again with quality fresh ingredients. In the mean time I have been making single grain rye and corn whiskey. I am getting ready to run a new gin recipe that utilizes some native plants. I will post the botanical list and amounts so you can see what you think and pass thoughts along.

3 GALLONS
Juniper 180 GRAMS 6.3 OUNCES

Coriander 90 GRAMS 3.2 OUNCES

Angelica Root 15 GRAMS .5 OUNCE
Cassia
Indigo Broom Root
Almond
Grains of Paradise
Cubeb Berries
Red Chile Pod

Lime Peel 1.5 GRAMS
Ginger
Orris Root
Yarrow Root
Lavender
Rose Pedal
Chamomile
Cilantro
Sage
Indigo Broom Stem
Jaded Prole
Welcome. Realize that some of us have a hard time with very small print and go for the standard size. You say you are a licensed distiller, do you run a commercial distillery?
Jaded Prole
As for the Gin, that is a long list of ingredients! Too many in my opinion.
Still-Life
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ May 26 2010, 01:33 PM) *

As for the Gin, that is a long list of ingredients! Too many in my opinion.

As for the print, I did a cut and paste and then couldn't get it back. I will watch it.
I am no longer a professional, but I still play one in the movies!
I understand the sentiment about the lengthy recipe and have been going back and forth on it myself. My standard is about half that list, with 10 botanicals.

Another variation is:

Juniper
Coriander
Angelica Root
Indigo Broom Root
Grains of Paradise
Red Chile Pod
Lime Peel
Yarrow Root
Lavender
Sage
Indigo Broom Stem
absinthist
The less the better, although there is a leeway regarding gin ingredient list. I, personally, use these: clementine or orange peel, lemon peel, coriander, Florence fennel or Italian fennel, angelica root, cardamom and obviously juniper berries and these I recommend. Have you come up with any recipe finally?

Ask Zman for guidance, he makes the best CO gin there is.
Tibro
I'm curious about your inclusion of the yarrow root in particular. I'm familiar with yarrow as used to stem bleeding but totally unfamiliar with the flavor of the root. The Indigo broom is outside my familiarity as well. What flavor notes are these adding?
Still-Life
QUOTE(Tibro @ May 26 2010, 02:20 PM) *

I'm curious about your inclusion of the yarrow root in particular. I'm familiar with yarrow as used to stem bleeding but totally unfamiliar with the flavor of the root. The Indigo broom is outside my familiarity as well. What flavor notes are these adding?

The indigo bloom is somewhat sage-clove like, but with a rich and spicy nose. Somewhat like anise, a bit with honey tones. It kind of reminds me of beechnut gum. It kind of plays the role of licorice

The Yarrow is slightly bitter, with a pungent nose, dirty, weedy.
Jaded Prole
As much as I love Angelica root, I would suggest using Angelica seed instead (or also).
To the point however, noncommercial distillation is not something we discuss here for obvious legal reasons. That is one of the very few rules.
Still-Life
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ May 26 2010, 03:08 PM) *

As much as I love Angelica root, I would suggest using Angelica seed instead (or also).
To the point however, noncommercial distillation is not something we discuss here for obvious legal reasons. That is one of the very few rules.

That is a good rule and I will not break it. Is it allowable to discuss ingredients and proportions?
Tibro
Hypothetically, yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.