Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: creates a creator
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Poe
I have seen a few posts now around the forums from newbies to Absinthe stating that they wish to become the worlds next master distiller. They are so taken by the drink that they are inspired to try their hand at production, I have to say I'm not any different (being both relatively new to Absinthe and the dream of distilling). I am dreaming now of making a small hobby of it when it becomes legal, sans the delusion of world Absinthe domination (although I did put in an IGP request to the EU, I'm not sure if you heard about that blink.gif ).

Why in your opinion do you think we are so moved to try our hands at this?

Are we merely allowing the triumph of enthusiasm over common sense or do you think it may be something else?

I've imbibed many an alcohol in my life but none have triggered the thought to produce it.

cheers.
Tibro
Home distilling is an unlawful activity across the vast majority of the globe. It is a non-topic. No one here would care to discuss their or your unlawful activities on a public forum. Any discussion of distilling absinthe at home on a hobbyist scale is purely theoretical and the stuff of dreams.
Poe
AH! of course! original post adjusted accordingly
Tibro
So maybe absinthe has a special appeal for dreamers.
Poe
Well that about sums me up, any other thoughts?
G&C
I still think the "no hobby distillation talk" is the most asinine rule here.
Tibro
QUOTE(G&C @ Jun 7 2010, 03:32 PM) *

I still think

That's one way around the rule.

Groan.

Sorry.
Kirk
The green man resonates through the drink, the spirit of the very earth is shouting , you don't have to listen very close to know the planet sheds bitter sweet tears of absinthe, sends S.O.S. notes of tender flavors, calling out to be heard in a language universal.
Don't ask yourself why you are feeling these feelings, wonder why you never felt like this before.
Poe
whoah! great reply! Thanks Kirk
Artemis
It may be a strictly practical consideration.

When this forum started, it was all talk and no action, and much of the talk was speculation, because for all practical purposes, there was no actual absinthe to be had, much less discussed. Poor quality absinthe could be had from Spain, but we didn't know that yet, and from the Czech Republic, but that product left everything to be desired. The clandestine distillers were making clear absinthe in Switzerland, but hardly anybody had the connections needed to pursue that. So there was nothing left do do for some people but to make it for themselves. In many cases, these people had experience with making beer, having been similarly unsatisfied with commercial offerings, so it was no great leap to making absinthe. Whether enthusiasm outweighs common sense in that regard is entirely dependent upon the ability and the situation of the enthusiast.

As to the rule, it came about like this:

A forum member who had made it obvious through his posts that he had his hands wet, if you get my meaning, was (so the member said) visited by a law enforcement agent of considerable reach and authority, who expressed an interest in the activities of the member in particular and this forum in general. Said member advised the owner of the forum about the situation, and it was decided (I was one of those consulted by the forum owner) that for the protection of the forum, both owner and members, discussion of home distillation and any other illegal activities would be banned here.

It should be no surprise that such discussion did not die. It just did not continue HERE. Where it continues, for obvious reasons, it's by invitation only, or so I have heard. So, not only is it not smart to do here, it's not necessary to do here.

But what Kirk said is true and pretty.
Jaded Prole
He's a fine poet.
absinthist
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 7 2010, 12:09 PM) *

Where it continues, for obvious reasons, it's by invitation only, or so I have heard. So, not only is it not smart to do here, it's not necessary to do here.

That forum has died long time ago. Yet, that forum is still alive and kicking and if you have thick ass, you will fit in just fine.
Artemis
blink.gif
dakini_painter
blink.gif
G&C
blink.gif
Absomphe
blink.gif
Grim
What did I miss?

… if you have thick ass, you will fit in just fine.

You know, it's moments like this that I remind myself you're likely teaching English to the next generation of Polish diplomats. Cheers!
Tibro
I don't think you missed anything. Direct hit. Sank his battleship.
absinthist
The link ain't broken. Cheers, Grimmy. I am teaching English to various groups now. Students of Administration, of Bridge building, of Logistics, I cater to everyone. Since diplomacy is the art of hiding one's intentions, I can teach diplomats, too.
Poe
Well that went bizarre fairly quickly, one other striking similarity with all the 'inner clique' of the Absinthe community is that your all cagey and somewhat prickly

I love broad sweeping generalisations by the way. abs-cheers.gif
Kirk
I think Artemis is right. When I saw the price for new cabinets, I thought to myself; " Jeezus fucking christ, I could make them from scratch for that kind of money!".
Tibro
QUOTE(Poe @ Jun 8 2010, 02:30 PM) *

your all cagey and somewhat prickly

And very selfish with our apostrophes. Please remember to bring you're [sic] own. (Now there's an extra for you, use it in good health. And don't say I never gave you anything.)
Poe
i dont need postrafees i have splellchek Tibro 2.0

I have developed a really bad habit of spelling you're as your lately, a sign of an average intellect in rapid decline.
G&C
Better than Cylon X.X0
Tibro
Doubt it.
G&C
I'd rather be trounced by T-2.0 than #6-X.X0 any day.

It's all about the survivability.
absinthist
QUOTE(Poe @ Jun 8 2010, 07:51 AM) *

I miss Gimpy…
Tibro
I'm a pale shadow. I admit it.
Artemis
The link ain't broken.

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Poe
I'll just add (for those with the tin foil hats) that it wasn't my intention to talk about the specifics of distilling in this thread but more the thoughts on why so many are motivated to try to give it a trundle. Kirk got it I think, well at least his post was more along the lines of my intent.

I'm off now to start a new thread far less paranoia evoking.. It will be called 'How many opium poppies do you have growing in your backyard?'
Aggelos
IPB Image More like they are rotting in my backyard, poor things
Tibro
Your backyard is the French Neverland Ranch?
Artemis
I'll just add (for those with the tin foil hats)

I'll just add, for you and you alone, stick your tin foil hat up your ass and spin on it.

Now I'll start another thread about the one hundred and thirteenth newbie asshole who comes in here and asks a question, gets honest answers and then decides he's qualified to not only publicly dismiss those that didn't meet his not even close to novel or refreshing intent, but also gets condescending about it. Never mind, I think I've covered it here.

This for you

cdog-plain.gif
Kirk

From zero to too far in 4.9 posts.
He made me nervous about my flower garden. Is it illegal to grow poppies? I never harvest them but the impressive bloom is hard to forget.
kaseijin
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 7 2010, 06:30 AM) *

The green man resonates through the drink, the spirit of the very earth is shouting , you don't have to listen very close to know the planet sheds bitter sweet tears of absinthe, sends S.O.S. notes of tender flavors, calling out to be heard in a language universal.
Don't ask yourself why you are feeling these feelings, wonder why you never felt like this before.

This is fantastic, Kirk.
Poe
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 9 2010, 03:52 PM) *

I'll just add (for those with the tin foil hats)

I'll just add, for you and you alone, stick your tin foil hat up your ass and spin on it.

Now I'll start another thread about the one hundred and thirteenth newbie asshole who comes in here and asks a question, gets honest answers and then decides he's qualified to not only publicly dismiss those that didn't meet his not even close to novel or refreshing intent, but also gets condescending about it. Never mind, I think I've covered it here.

This for you

cdog-plain.gif

Ha! firstly it would be very hard to stick a tin foil hat up my arse and spin on it, maybe even impossible. Perhaps I could spin on the hat until it worked it's way up my arse but even that would be a feat better left for perhaps a small acrobat from circus de soleil.

I have a feeling you may confuse light hearted humour with a condescending attitude but that's alright I understand little fella. Your a big wheel and I'm not even rated as a cog so how dare I post a question or opinion on here? My ignorance must be an affront to you and for that I apologise,for what it's worth I did just read your posts for weeks before joining and have framed quotes from your extra special ones hanging above my bed. One day (god/allah/budddha) willing I might attain the level of pompous distain that you display. Until that day I'll have to endure the unnecessary vitriolic responses from a dick with an attitude problem. C'est la vie.

Now for those without the partial frontal labotomy, I was not dismissing your comments just clearing up an assumption made by another on what I was talking about. I couldn't care what you talk about but care a little on the interpretation of my meaning as I'd hate to be unclear even if I am doomed to be unoriginal.
cdog-plain.gif cdog-plain.gif

I gave you two as you've obviously got two arseholes
Poe
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 9 2010, 04:35 PM) *

From zero to too far in 4.9 posts.

Ah Kirk it's not that bad you just went from impressive poster to sycophant in two posts so that was way quicker.

Ok ready, aim, fire !!

I eagerly await the next round of whatever comes my way.

kaseijin
I guess that, to the original topic (Though come on, dude… that last post? Was that <i>really</i> called for? It was sarcastic and disappointing, and really sort of warrants an apology. You started off well enough, could you not keep it up?), I see absinthe attracting two main groups of people:
  • Curiosity seekers, whether they be from some form of gothic subculture, a frat guy looking for a crazy drink, a party chick, or a self-styled anachronist
  • People who are obsessive on details, abstract minutiae, history, and the like…almost to the point of geeky obsession
Naturally, there is some overlap between these two…and there is nothing really wrong with either camp -- different strokes for different folks, and all. Think of it like a big Venn diagram with people plotted all over within the two camps, depending on their degree of adhering to either. I think that the people in the latter group tend to be more the sort that will allow themselves to be completely immersed in something rather than just skim the surface. They are your tinkerers, your DIY'ers.

Like Kirk said about the cabinets. It's almost a given that people of that bent would want to learn as much as they can about the things they love…and learning how these things are produced -- either through theorycraft, or (much less often) through direct experience -- is only a natural extension of learning everything else about them.

Anyway. That's my armchair psychoanalysis. I'll send you my bill for $0.10 later.

…oh, and for Boggy: blink.gif
kaseijin
QUOTE(Poe @ Jun 9 2010, 06:48 AM) *

Ah Kirk it's not that bad you just went from impressive poster to sycophant in two posts so that was way quicker.

Ok ready, aim, fire !!

*sigh* Okay. Never mind all that. I am done with you. poop.gif

Edit: Oh, Jesus… and I didn't even see the reply to Art that you shat out while I was typing. frusty.gif
G&C
…™

Click to view attachment
Poe
so I can be attacked but cant respond?

pffft that sucks.

if you reply or send a message aimed at me with a tone then expect that in return. Kirk posted an excellent response and I showed him the respect to acknowledge it,

Art gave me both barrels so I replied in kind, then kirk had a shot too so again i replied in kind.

you'll never see me instigating a shit fight as I find them beyond pointless but I sometimes will respond. I thought this was a given here, or should I just wear the crap.

I'm just a newbie here not to life so there is a big get fucked in it for you if you show me less than the common respect you'd show any man.
absinthist
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Jun 9 2010, 06:54 AM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
G&C
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jun 9 2010, 08:45 AM) *
QUOTE(kaseijin @ Jun 9 2010, 06:54 AM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Exactly!
Tibro
Hey Poe, what, exactly, have you contributed to the world of absinthe or this forum? Don't piss on people (whose stature you don't understand) when, in fact, you don't have a leg to stand on or a pot to piss in.

Sorry, but you just need to fuckin' hold it.

Since you didn't, you wound up pissing all over yourself. Ain't nobody gonna want to get close to you now.
Kirk

Here it is;

' ' ' ' ' ' and . . .+0.
sixela
QUOTE(absinthist @ Jun 8 2010, 10:06 AM) *

I am teaching English to various groups now.

blink.gif
sixela
QUOTE(Poe @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 PM) *

You don't need them. Unless you don't want to appear either to be an idiot or to be lazy.

so I can be attacked but cant respond?

You can respond. It's the manner in which you respond that will earn you a reputation, but there's absolutely no law against making a fool of yourself. It all depends on how you want to be treated (and whether you want people to actually communicate with you).
Jaded Prole
I'm just a newbie here

Try not to forget that. As the header points out, this forum has been here for a long time and without this community you would have little to no chance of ever tasting good absinthe. You have no idea who you are addressing, how long they've been here or what they have contributed to the absinthe world so maybe you should take a little criticism for what it's worth rather than fretting over some immature idea of one-upsmaship. You might actually learn something.
Artemis
the 'inner clique' of the Absinthe community

There were no cliques represented in the responses (if such cliques exist at all, but how in the hell would you know?). There were only people of varying experience, predilection, and opinion.

broad sweeping generalisations

None had been made up to that point.

tin foil hats (and) paranoia

Paranoia is a facet of mental illness. It is not a synonym for "other peoples' concerns or fears that I don't share". "Tin foil hats" I shouldn't have to explain.

I had no problem with your praise of Kirk's answer, as it was praiseworthy, and even if it had not been, I would have had no problem.

Nobody involved with the rule I explained (not to you, but for the record, in response to the post that called it asinine, which I thought was too strong a word even though I have the utmost respect for the poster) is mentally ill, nor do they have concerns about the viability of this forum or the safety of its members that are unwarranted, or deserving of snotty criticism from anybody with a dozen posts. Probably I should have segregated my response about the rule from the one about why people do what they do.

Now, if you meant something else by the inner clique, and generalizations, and tin foil hats, feel free to explain. The humor explanation doesn't cut it, not only because those remarks weren't funny, but because they were obviously insulting, intentionally or otherwise.

It's been a long time since I responded harshly to anybody here. That and the fact that quite a few others have seen what I saw in your attitude, which you either can't see or refuse to acknowledge, should be instructive.

Nevertheless, I apologize to the forum and to you for my insulting response.
Poe
If I went overboard then I apologise to yourself and all others as well.

I didn't expect the jibe about tinfoil hats to be taken seriously or the shit stirring.

I have the utmost respect for the knowledge base and work done by members here and will never argue an absinthe point with any of you unless it be subjective. I will however not be spoken to like a lesser being because of my new membership.

What you saw in my attitude is purely a point of view as is the humour, sometimes one mans humour just isn't funny to others.

I don't take these forums that seriously but should of realised its a bigger deal for others.

Internet fights are as about as useful as a chocolate tea kettle and I usually don't bother with them and I wouldn't of bothered with this one if I thought people may get there nose out of joint, so lesson learnt I suppose.

Anyway have a great night and great day, no bad feelings from my side anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.