Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is the beef?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Kirk
The cost of free speech
Maybe she should not have said that but. When respected news gatherers feel they cannot say what they think, after years of gathering the most pertinent stories on the globe, we are in deep xit.
She prolly planned it so she could go out with a bang.
eric
Maybe she should not have said that

Ya think?
Kirk
Only when I'm forced to.
The Jews want to live in Israel, I'm fine with that. They should get the hell out of Palestine.
eric
There is no Palestine.
Kirk
You are correct, sir.
Artemis
Respected by whom? She was a glorified gossip columnist promoted to asking questions at White House press conferences - not exactly Walter Cronkite. She's made a career of editorializing in the faces of Presidents in the hope of embarrassing them or having them appear to endorse her own opinion. She finally shit where she ate one too many times and was put out to pasture. The only shocking about it is that it didn't happen years ago.
Tibro
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 7 2010, 09:38 PM) *

She's made a career of editorializing in the faces of Presidents

I'd give her a measure of respect for that. We all dream of it. We all harp and harangue from a safe distance. How many of us would voice our honest editorial content to the President's face? Not that the vast majority of us will ever get the opportunity. In some real ways her presence and voice represented an authentic strain of Amerikan sentiment. Gossip columnists have huge followings, after all.
absinthist
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte…0060702583.html

The hell broke loose.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 7 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Respected by whom? She was a glorified gossip columnist promoted to asking questions at White House press conferences - not exactly Walter Cronkite. She's made a career of editorializing in the faces of Presidents in the hope of embarrassing them or having them appear to endorse her own opinion. She finally shit where she ate one too many times and was put out to pasture. The only shocking about it is that it didn't happen years ago.

She was the grandmother of what has become the conflict manufacturing that is contemporary "journalism". Light on the investigative reporting, heavy on the sensationalist irrelevant asking of loaded "tough" questions that are all mostly designed to trap the person being asked, as opposed to a sincere question designed to bring forth illuminating information.

Honestly I think the dementia is setting in a bit, though perhaps she always held the "Jews go home" view and until recently her frontal lobe was intact enough to prevent her from uttering it in public. During Obama's press conference on the Gulf oil spill she kept asking him about Afghanistan, for example, perhaps an indication that she's slipping, which is another tragedy in its own right, but does not excuse her given that she's always been hostile to Israel. It's too bad she went out in a humiliating fashion, but since her goal through much of her reporting was to humiliate the person she was interviewing, I suppose it is only appropriate that she went out the same way.

And as far as free speech goes, I don't see how this is related to free speech. She voiced her opinion freely, and suffered the consequences which are imposed not by law, but by societal values (and ironically by the media shark pit she helped to birth…yes they eat their own). Speech is still quite unrestricted, but thankfully society has progressed to the point where those who hold bigoted views are rightfully ostracized.
Artemis
Well I enjoyed it when one of the Bushes took away either her front row seat or her inherited perk of asking the first question that she held since the time of Warren G. Harding, but you're right. The President was elected to and is paid to express his opinion. She was being paid (in theory) only to ask questions while in his presence, not to give her opinion, and was never elected to represent anyone. If given the opportunity as a citizen, I'm not sure I would try to give the President my own opinion, but I might try to get an honest answer as to what his REALLY is. Probably better just to have a drink with him and let it go at that.
Patlow
Heheheheh…
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 8 2010, 05:52 PM) *

Probably better just to have a drink with him and let it go at that.

I always thought you were a dead ringer for Henry Louis Gates.
IPB Image

Things started out so easy for Obama. All he had to do back then was get two hot-under-the-collar knuckleheads to sit down and work out their problems over some beers. That was before the Health Care bill turned everyone into rabid idiots, before North Korea torpedoed that South Korean Sub, before the IDF killed those Palestinian supporters trying to deliver aid to Gaza, before Helen Thomas went all Hitler on camera, and before BP crapped all over the ocean and gulf coast beaches and businesses. Mid 2009, I miss you.
Artemis
I liked 1961. You could turn a penny upside down and the date stayed the same. You could buy stuff with it, too.
Donnie Darko
I'm looking forward to the year 58008, because when you turn a penny upside down it will spell BOOBS. But the year 5808 will suck because some moron named Bob will claim that every penny belongs to him.

Oh yeah, but in 58008 and 5808 they'll probably say "what the fuck is a penny?", so never mind.

As a side note, I really love Kirk's title of the thread "Where's the Beef?". Helen Thomas really does look like that lady, or maybe a cross between her and Anne Ramsey, who played Owen's mama in Throw Momma from the Train.
Patlow
Third from the right looks like Christian Bale researching a role.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 10 2010, 03:08 AM) *

But the year 5808 will suck because some moron named Bob will claim that every penny belongs to him.

Until a Jedi will then point out he finds the lack of apostrophe disturbing, of course.

Donnie Darko
Actually it would require a comma in 5,808 if it is to read as a possessive upside down. Don't you know anything about grammar?

Tibro
Ha!

Out loud even.
Artemis
Helen Thomas really does look like that lady

That went over my head. I thought the picture looked like that desert troll picture I've seen at the Lounge.

I always thought you were a dead ringer for Henry Louis Gates.

I'm getting there. After some time under the Louisiana sun, I'm almost that dark. Darker than Obama, for sure.
Kirk
Where's the beef?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 10 2010, 09:13 AM) *

Helen Thomas really does look like that lady

That went over my head. I thought the picture looked like that desert troll picture I've seen at the Lounge.

Helen:
IPB Image

Anne Ramsey
IPB Image

Couldn't find the picture of Mrs. "Desert Troll", but I'm starting to think they're all the same person.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 10 2010, 11:48 AM) *

Actually it would require a comma in 5,808

But then Bob can't claim it, since it just reads "5,808". Once Bob claims it, it needs…

I'd forgotten you folks use that quaint comma as a group separator.

G&C
What are we suppose to use, a concrete wall?
Tibro
They seem to think that works around Israel.
sixela
QUOTE(G&C @ Jun 10 2010, 05:20 PM) *

What are we suppose to use, a concrete wall?

Just some empty space. Just imagine it filled with landmines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.