Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your candid opinion for absinthe in the can idea
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
mgs
Probably you already know, but there is product that you can see in this link :

absine

I DO NOT want to discuss the quality of this booze Tourment Vert, which I understand is very bad quality.

I would like to have your opinion in what you think about the possibility, in near future, to have absinthe in a can, say a good brand. I also understand that absinthe will not stay louched inside a can, but suppose that someone finds a good chemistry to keep it louched, suppose it is possible and eventually Coca-Cola will distribute it in machines…… :-)

How about Sazerac or Earthquake in a can ?

I am really looking forward to read what you guys think about this subject.

thanks,

- Marcelo
G&C
No, thank you.
Steve
No.
Aggelos
No
Ron
Still no.
Tibro
Airplane minis and those cups of watter with the foil seal. Sell 'em shrink-wrapped together in the cooler case.

If it ever gets that popular.

Otherwise…
Alan
The research looks overwhelming, Marcelo.

Just like the research that Sony ignored when they decided to launch the Walkman.
absinthist
http://www.vinpol.pl/ang/page_ginlubuskirtd.html

same shit I bet.

From the heyday only absinthe gazeuse comes to my mind.

NO. A definite NO!
Alan
This one too, Boggy …

IPB Image
Jaded Prole
Forget it.
Crap in a can is a bad idea.
absinthist
Limited edition. Thanks God, not in Poland.

Yet.

IPB Image
OCvertDe
God no.
Grim
QUOTE(mgs @ Jul 2 2010, 05:19 AM) *

… but suppose that someone finds a good chemistry to keep it louched…

Pernod-Ricard did it decades ago, my friend… "Pernod Light," or something along those lines. It was around 20% abv and stayed louched - airtight and a limited headspace of air.

Cans? I hate saying it, but if someone had their allegiance to the almighty dollar, obviously they could unite shit-absinthe with the energy drink craze and make something for 1:00am clubbers.

With that, I don't think you'll ever find someone legitimately interested in raising a respected spirit for distribution in cans.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 2 2010, 12:42 PM) *

Airplane minis and those cups of watter with the foil seal. Sell 'em shrink-wrapped together in the cooler case.

If it ever gets that popular.

Otherwise…

These were probably on more trains, than airplanes way back when…

IPB Image

1935 Pour over cracked ice.

IPB Image
mgs
Thanks. I was also comparing points of view as well, and approaches of answering this question. I like candid opinions, without too much of making sure that there is a "degree of excellence" in approaching the answer.

I personally don't care if absinthe will ever come in cans. I still like my water fountain, my glasses and the way that I am drinking it…..

….but I remember when was around 8 years old, and my father knew in Brazil for that first time that orange juice would be available in bottles…. he said, that time, "this is going to be a bad shit, because orange juice must be fresh, out of the fruit crusher…"

maybe he was not wrong about orange juice if you think in what you drink….. if you like crushed fruit with skins, seeds and the white stuff that is part of the fruit…… that is the shit that everyone drink, proudly made in Florida.

But it seems that nowadays nobody cares that bottled or canned orange juice is available on the supermarket, and it is less expensive to buy ready made orange juice than fruits to make it the same amount fresh…

cheers,

- Marcelo

G&C
I bet if you went to the frat boy forums, you'd get a different response…
thegreenimp
QUOTE(mgs @ Jul 2 2010, 08:19 AM) *
How about Sazerac or Earthquake in a can ?

I am really looking forward to read what you guys think about this subject.

thanks,

- Marcelo's

Nothing new, premixed cocktails have been around for a long time.
Sazerac cocktails were bottled and sold for many years.

IPB Image

Generally, modern era premixed cocktails are very poorly made, why bother when you can make something better at home.
G&C
That's the deal!

Get the works and mix your own at home.
I find it very relaxing and educational.
absinthist
QUOTE(Grim @ Jul 2 2010, 01:16 PM) *

Pernod-Ricard did it decades ago, my friend… "Pernod Light," or something along those lines. It was around 20% abv and stayed louched - airtight and a limited headspace of air.

Exactement:

IPB Image

Lest we forget about Pernod TOLA 15%, Berger Sport 15.8% and various others which were ready to drink without further preparations.
mgs
Alan mentioned about the research made by Sony before launching the Walkman…. Even myself, I was around 18-19 years old that time, thought that was a bad idea to carry something with a bad sound…..

today…… I do not give up my iPOD and my 30Gbytes of music…… no more CDs, cases to break, space to store…. my vinil collection was in the flea market long time ago…..

look at this cut from a website about the Walkman history:

===============================
Akio Morita said in a 1982 Playboy interview, "The market research is all in my head! You see, we create markets." But how does one convince the public they need a product that they've never owned or seen? The first step was to get the word out to people who had influence on the public, like celebrities and people in the music industry. Sony sent Walkmans to Japanese recording artists, tv and movie stars free of charge. They also began an innovative marketing campaign, targeting younger people and active folks. The Walkman was engineered carefully to make it affordable to this market, priced to be around 33,000 yen (Sony was 33 years old at the time. Coincidence?) The imagery Sony successfully used around their Walkman gave the feelings of fun, youth and most importantly, freedom. Their invention allowed one to bring an exceptional listening experience anywhere.
===============================

The reality is this, whoever wants to win a market, makes products for young people, not for old farts. Very beautiful to have a water fountain, expensive spoons, glasses, and all the paraphernalia, but that is good for US, "old people"…… very romantic to drink an absinthe on the style of La Belle Epoque, but we will be dead very soon, and the young generation will carry on….. and probably, in 20 years from now, whatever we think about absinthe today, will be only in history books (it is kind of that already, anyway….)

- Marcelo
OCvertDe
Point taken, but most of us are drinking Absinthe pretty much the way history has shown us was proper a century ago. Aside from ridiculous piercings and dubious standards of acceptable morality, why should our posterity be any more likely to fuck it up than we were, or any of the generations between us and the first to crack the spigot on a purpose-built Absinthe fountain? Despite how I feel, I'm fairly certain I'm not an old fart yet; and a decade ago when I was first drawn to Absinthe I definitely wasn't. If anything I had more patience for the ceremony in my youth, and I never would have been attracted to pre-louched, canned Absinthe.
mgs
I also do not considery myself (yet) an old fart….. I even have an iPOD ! and I organize parties using Facebook….. abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
The walkman was the first instance of being able to have your music with you anywhere at anytime.

Absinthe in a can would also be an instance of being able to have your absinthe with you anywhere at anytime.

The difference is that nearly everyone likes music, whereas maybe 1 out of every 10,000 to 100,000 people likes absinthe, and I'd wager about 1 out of a million people can actually distinguish good absinthe from poor absinthe (for those of you with calculators that's about 4600 people on earth that can distinguish good absinthe from mediocre, and I'm probably over-estimating).

I think you can see why one is a great idea and the other is not.

If you were to put Meadow of Love in a can and make it as good as it is when I pour it, sure, I'd drink it all the time, but I bet it would end up costing about $20 a can once you factored in how much it would cost to make, package, ship and sell it, given that maybe 2000 people on earth would be buying it.
Patlow
I would definitely buy MOL in a can for $20, since a can of bud light can cost $7 (on an airplane). So, I'm one of 2000.

Though it is so easy to just bring absinthe with you in a water bottle anywhere, like to the movies. I don't think I've been to a movie without absinthe in about 3 years (unless I wasn't coming from home).

(BTW this weekend's absinthe movie was Winter's Bone--VERY GOOD MOVIE!)
Patlow
Someone brought these to my place on the 4th. Mini "champagne" with retractable straw! Pretty good!

Click to view attachment

(EDIT: I don't know why the pic is rotated this way, it's not like that in camera?!?!)
mgs
"just starring" my new signature line
|
|
|
V
Absomphe
Grate.
Phoenix
Who would put broken english in their sig line?
Shabba53
Way to take the bait.
Phoenix
You lost me. What bait did I take?
Shabba53
Sorry. Not you. Marcelo.
mgs
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Jul 8 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Who would put broken english in their sig line?

for sure fucking bastards use broken english……. I have 50+ journal papers in engineering, 100+ conference papers and two books on renewable energy, and when I want to write correctly I CAN.
Absinthe in a can for you !
Phoenix
Before you start getting all offended and pissy about my post, you may want to look at my sig line.
mgs
I have a problem, I admit, and I already got in trouble at WS for the same reason…. I don't read the whole thread, or pay attention to past history of things….. Forums are really strange, it seems that only after a long time we can understand why people post in a certain way, or make comments in a certain way…. Maybe I have a very linear thinking, and forums are not linear, because the conversations diverge and also intertwine….

so…. a "sorry" still fits here ?

cheers,

- Marcelo
Phoenix
No worries.
Tibro
QUOTE(Shabbaiter @ Jul 9 2010, 12:46 AM) *

Way to take the bait.

…™
Shabba53
The difference is the awareness.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jul 9 2010, 04:12 AM) *

awareness.

That's the oddest euphemism for 'masochism' I've ever seen.
Shabba53
Heh heh. harhar.gif

Nah. Masochism implies that a) this forum is causing me pain, deprivation, degradation, etc. and that b) I get gratification from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed upon me.

Neither is true.
Tibro
…that you're aware of.
Shabba53
Nothing said on a forum bothers me. Therefore, I can't view any of it as degrading either. That view has been buttressed by those members I've met in person who've been involved in these banterings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.