Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tokaji or tokay or tokaj or Tokajský/-á/-é???
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
absinthist
http://thehungariangirl.com/2010/05/16/hun…er-tokaji-wine/

Much more interesting than Swiss IGP.
Aggelos
I find it highly suspicious that wherever David has been involved lately, there are quarels about protection of names
absinthist
Actually, the differences between Tokaji made in Hungary with that made in Slovakia are hardly perceived in the taste, both producers are doing their best to bring the best outta grapes.
sixela
Feh. Tokaji Aszú will awlays be Tokaji Aszú no matter what happens to the former part of the denomination.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(absinthist @ Aug 19 2010, 12:31 PM) *

Actually, the differences between Tokaji made in Hungary with that made in Slovakia are hardly perceived in the taste, both producers are doing their best to bring the best outta grapes.

I'm waiting for you to tell us there is something made by goatherds in the mountains of East Bumfuckski, Poland, that is just as good.
Tibro
Better. It's hand Polished.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 15 2010, 05:23 AM) *

I'm waiting for you to tell us there is something made from goat turds in the mountains of East Bumfuckski, Poland, that is just as good.

I could swear he sent me a sample of that.
absinthist
We do not have such a climate, hence only certain cepages are cultivated by Polish wine-makers.

Though, the Germans have created something similar: Johanniter 2002, Trockenbeerenauslese. That variety is worth further look-in.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 15 2010, 04:19 PM) *

Though, the Germans have created something similar: Johanniter 2002, Trockenbeerenauslese.

Yeah, it's very similar, it's sweet, and it's a wine. and…er….that's it.

Why do you continually post such garbage? Why do you post so much at all? Don't you have day-time television in Poland?
absinthist
What's television? Naah. It is the war between Hungary and Slovakia, I am just passing the information.
G&C
Please, refrain.
Donnie Darko
I have never tasted, seen or smelled Tokaji. I never even knew what it was until I got Oxy's newsletter. But apparently there is no need to know anything about it, as there is a magical fountain of knowledge out there which reveals all. One need only sit back as it bathes you with wisdom. What is this inexhaustible radiant oracle, teller-of-all to us blathering lazy slobs, you might wonder?

It's Polish Google!
absinthist
Um, no. You won't find it via google, it is better to talk to the makers and bring along several bottles both from Hungary and from Slovakia to draw conclusions and have a sip of great wine Art.

Although the German example is not as convincing as it should be, the wine from Canina rugosa following certain protocols was nicknamed "Polish tokaji" by a panel of wine experts in 2007.
Tibro
Rose hip wine. Probably reveals more about Polish "experts" than it does anything else.
absinthist
Reveals that you know more than nothing regarding home wine making. Not that it has been just revealed.
hartsmar
Maybe you could make your own home made Tokaji... with any luck you'll be able to make a 1895 Essence repro...
Tibro
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 16 2010, 02:33 PM) *

with any luck

Luck has nothing to do with it. You are addressing an Artist, and that makes all the difference.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 16 2010, 11:16 AM) *

Um, no. You won't find it via google, it is better to talk to the makers and bring along several bottles both from Hungary and from Slovakia to draw conclusions and have a sip of great wine Art.

Although the German example is not as convincing as it should be, the wine from Canina rugosa following certain protocols was nicknamed "Polish tokaji" by a panel of wine experts in 2007.

pierreverte
I'm glad it's only you, I quite enjoy the lectures…
absinthist
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 16 2010, 04:33 AM) *

Maybe you could make your own home made Tokaji… with any luck you'll be able to make a 1895 Essence repro…

I have tried several wines from Canina rugosa, including one vintage. They have potential. Some versions are very applicable for Port imitations as well.
sixela
Sure. Port, Tokají Aszú, what's the difference…
absinthist
Some versions, mind you. Where did I say these two wines are the same? Putting lies into my mouth again, how sweet.
Tibro
So would you be willing to share when the best time to harvest rose hips is, so that the natural sugars are most concentrated?
absinthist
One kilogram of fruit yields approximately 190g of sugar. The best period for harvesting the fruit are the first frosts (depending on the place, usually November-December). The fruit should be soft but ripe enough to be harvested easily without destroying the fruit.

For 10 litres of wine at 14% you will need:

2.5kg of Canina rugosa
9 litres of water
2.5kg sugar
4g nutrient
5g citric acid
Tokay yeast

The wine finishes fermentation at 0-4 blg. It is the time for racking, filtering, etc and adding 1.2kg of raisins for several weeks. The wine is best after a year.

For port, although canina is used, much better choice is hawthorn.
Oxygenee
et voila!…..Chateau d'Yquemski.
absinthist
Oxygenee
Tibro
That's not all that's broken.
Absomphe
It's what records were meant to be.

Or so I've heard.
hartsmar
http://www.homebrewers.com/c=D5lxWsQP7x7Ua...ipment-Kit.html

...yeeeees...
hartsmar
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 16 2010, 12:21 PM) *

et voila!…..Chateau d'Yquemski.

Well, if you quote a recipe, then you know everything about everything and master everything.
Sheesh!

I hear the 2010 is awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.