Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Personal Top 5's
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
charless
I've recently rekindled my passion for absinthe after a 5 year leave of absence, so I have a question for the forum. I was wondering what your personal top five modern verte's are? I've been looking for something "top shelf" or "ultra-premium" or a 90+ rated absinthe (for lack of a better Absinthe vocabulary). I only saw one in the review section "Pacifique". Any other suggestions?
Phoenix
I like Meadow of Love and Walton Waters.

You can get them from Catskill Cellars or Astor Wine & Spirits.
charless
I'm currently enjoying Duplias Verte. Mansinthe is passable, but I'm placing an order for Roquette, Doubs, and the highest rated Jade.
G&C
Pacifique.

The rest cannot be spoken of here.
Donnie Darko
In no particular order:
1) Meadow of Love
1A) Vieux Pontarlier
1B) Leopold
1C) Pacifique
1D) Jade Verte Suisse

In terms of price, the most competitive are Vieux Pontarlier and Pacifique, with Jade being the least wallet-friendly.

By the way, the Doubs Mystique you ordered is also very good. The louche is just a tad light for my preference, but that Pontarlier wormwood is remarkable.
EdouardPerneau
Donnie have you had to last VS sept 2009 bottle ? … the wine base overpower everything and it's not the same anymore … that's sad :(
Donnie Darko
No, last one I had was a 2008. Ted makes very good absinthes in my opinion, but the consistency issues do seem to be widespread. That's not OK in an absinthe that has been around that long and is that expensive. I do not doubt that he is making every attempt to maintain consistency (the Solera should be helping) but it sounds like there is still room for improvement. Absinthe is of course delicate, we all know how age and the substitution of a single herb cultivar can dramatically impact the product, but distillers are supposed to be the pros. If single-malt whiskies can remain consistent from batch to batch then absinthe should be able to as well.

Here are absinthes that I've bought more than once that have been consistent from batch to batch:
DP Meadow of Love
Vieux Pontarlier
Doubs Mystique

Pacifique gets honorable mention, because even though the flavor/aroma have changed somewhat since its introduction, the flavor profile over all is consistent, just more tightly focused and assertive in the newer incarnations than the older, so I certainly can't complain about that. And Voyager Gin (yeah I know it's not Absinthe) has been absolutely identical from bottle to bottle, so consistency on a scale like Marc's is obviously possible.

What's interesting to me is that Meadow of Love, a tiny-scale single batch absinthe, has been as consistent to my tastebuds as aged larger scale absinthes Doubs Mystique and Vieux Pontarlier, which have been remarkably consistent from batch to batch. Perhaps it's the lack of aging in Meadow of Love? I've only been able to afford two bottles of the MOL, but they were purchased nearly a year apart and I was impressed that the second bottle tasted exactly like the first bottle.
absinthist
Walton Waters, Butterfly, Pacifique. Do not waste your money on things that are no longer what they had supposed to be. Roquette and Doubs are not a bad choice, either for trying something different than regular absinthe. Going that way be sure getting L'Italienne while stocks last.

Browse newly-rated absinthes subforum, here is a dozen of reviews that haven't been incorporated to the Buyer's Guide.
Steve
MOL is a wonderful absinthe, but it seemed to me that the first batch had a more pronounced violet fragrance.

I've had good and bad bottles of Pacifique. I trust that those issues are ironed out.

I am hard pressed to narrow down to 5 top absinthes! There are so many I like. My current list might be:
Sapphire
Butterfly
Berthe (assuming it's the same as what I tasted)
Edouard (from current batch, the baby powder fragrance is wonderful)
Désirée

I also love Vieux Pontarlier, MOL, Walton Waters, Pacifique (from a good batch), Leopold, Doubs, and of course l'Italienne.
EdouardPerneau
There so different opinion about the current jade batches … one of my french friend got a bottle from the same lot of verte suisse and say it is wonderfull along with edouard … a month pass by and he change his gun he say that the base had hidden the herbs . The VS 1898 I had was shipped in the winter perhaps just accelerate that degradation ? Since consitencity is now an issue with jade it is not anymore an option for me … BTW for my top 5

Butterfly
Sapphire
Capricieuse
Guy
angélique
Donnie Darko
Oh, didn't remember to mention L'Italienne since it's no longer being made. That is an outstanding absinthe. Best aroma of any modern absinthe that can be purchased that I've smelled.
Steve
Never say never, Donnie.

Angélique: I detest it. I find it undrinkable. Funny since CAB also makes what are my two most currently preferred* absinthes, Sapphire and Butterfly.

*before my Berthe arrives anyway.
Absomphe
Pacifique
Meadow of Love
L'Italienne
Leopold's
Walton Waters and Doub Mystique.

These are my favorites, in that order…

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 4 2010, 02:28 PM) *

charless
Wow, thanks everyone. I'm surprised honestly that the Americans got it right here with a few of those brands. I started on Czech (horrible shit, but the KOSG suckered me when I was a teenager), but since then I've been only drinking Swiss for fear the Americans would ruin absinthe.
OCvertDe
…an unfounded fear that can only be exacerbated by some of the Swiss
who want everyone to think that if it isn't made in Switzerland it isn't even Absinthe.
Bruno Rygseck
La Coquette and La Dèsirée are on the top of my currrent list of favorites among green absinthes. Matter's Brevans H.R. Giger is also one I recommend.

Helfrich blanche was a great clear absinthe, but it is now out of production. I have placed high hopes on the new Akveld blanche.

I am in Europe so I have not tried any of the American top absinthes. I hope that I can try them some day!
Grim
Edit: Criticism of current absinthes, painted in broad strokes… no need for that now.
dakini_painter
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 4 2010, 01:09 PM) *

MOL is a wonderful absinthe, but it seemed to me that the first batch had a more pronounced violet fragrance.

Violet has been harder to come by. The first year I found a long unused cornfield that had a big swath of wild violets. More that I could ever use. The next year it had been plowed under to grow corn again. Violets gone. I used to have a good source for violets from EU. Not available any more (I think it's all being turned into Creme d'Violette and stuff like that now).

Starting the new batches today. Some minor equipment changes may cause some perturbation in the flavor/sweetness until I can dial in the recipe.
absinthist
QUOTE(Grim @ Sep 5 2010, 10:52 PM) *

Criticism painted in broad strokes

Do not be shy. Channelling taschistes?
OCvertDe
I wonder if Kirk could be persuaded to grow some Violet…
Grim
QUOTE(dakini_painter @ Sep 6 2010, 05:10 AM) *
Some minor equipment changes may cause some perturbation in the flavor/sweetness until I can dial in the recipe.

I'd heard you got a new Carl still; what size did you step up too…?

And can we see any photos of the new rig?
Steve
Photos are on facebook! harhar.gif
Kirk
Veaux Carre
L'en Joleuse
Meadow of love
Walton waters
Pacifique
Buy all 5 and put them in order for us.
eric
1. C. F. Berger 1910
2. Pernod Fils 1910
3. Edouard Pernod 1900
4.Texas Nímes
5. l'Artisanale
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Kirk @ Sep 6 2010, 08:51 PM) *

Veaux Carre

veaux:
IPB Image
Alan
Actually that's a veau, not veaux (I only see one of them on my PC).
absinthist
QUOTE(eric @ Sep 6 2010, 08:57 PM) *

1. C. F. Berger 1910
2. Pernod Fils 1910
3. Edouard Pernod 1900
4.Texas Nímes
5. l'Artisanale

If that approach

1. Berger blanche
2. Edouard Pernod 1910
3. Berger verte
4. Clandestine verte suisse 1969-1989
5. Duval-Dubied

Personal Top Vintages' 5 call'em.
sixela
QUOTE(eric @ Sep 7 2010, 05:57 AM) *

1. C. F. Berger 1910
2. Pernod Fils 1910
3. Edouard Pernod 1900
4.Texas Nímes
5. l'Artisanale

So you didn't like the PF1914 at LFX? Or did the mayor skilfully hide it from everyone in sight?
eric
Yes, thank you Sixer. The PF 1914 was wonderful indeed.
The list is just me fooling around.
Kirk
hah hah hah
Absomphe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Sep 4 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Pacifique
Meadow of Love
L'Italienne
Leopold's
Walton Waters and Doub Mystique.

These are my favorites, in that order…

QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 4 2010, 02:28 PM) *

And so it has, and it reminds me very much of a certain gentleman's Texas Nimes with, perhaps, a touch more wormwood. chickawow.gif
EdouardPerneau
QUOTE(Alan @ Sep 7 2010, 06:16 AM) *

Actually that's a veau, not veaux (I only see one of them on my PC).

we see legs that don't belong to the veau :)
Green Baron
QUOTE(absinthist @ Sep 7 2010, 04:22 AM) *

1. Berger blanche

It's interesting that a bottle of pre-ban blanche Berger had been discovered. I was under the impression that a few bottles of PF White/Blanche were the only known surviving pre-ban blanches. Or was it a vintage post-ban example being produced outside of the banning countries?
synthetic buddhist
ok, ok.

MoL
WW
Pacifique
BA 2
Helfrich Verte(actually I'm out if it now, but the last few were sure nice.)
absinthist
QUOTE(Green Baron @ Sep 7 2010, 03:40 PM) *

It's interesting that a bottle of pre-ban blanche Berger had been discovered.

That is all what's known. Ask Marc for further details. Definitely, nothing amateur about that Art.
Green Baron
Thanks for the link Boggy. Quite an intriguing find!
burcak
I have only 4 to make it to my list:

1) Duplais Verte
2) La Coquette (crawled from the bottom and recently playing hard for the top! heart.gif )
3) Doubs Mystique
4) Roquette

I would not depend solely on the "rating" of a brand here. For example one of the highest rated and praised upon L'Italienne; I did not like it at all. Of course for some of the above too, I got to like them after a familiarisation period.. But I don't think that will be the case with L'Itallianne, it is simply unpleasant to me. Also some 80+ rated absinthes I have tried did not "stand out" for me.

So to close it up; I think anything rated more than 70% here may be a good candidate for a favorite.. The rest is personal preference abs-cheers.gif
Screwtape
Walton Waters (half way through the bottle)
Meadow of Love (right out of the gate)
Pacifique
La Clandestine
Serrith
Figured since I just joined, might as well throw my 5 favorites down:

1. Jade VS 1898
2. Pacifique
3. Helfrich Verte
4. Jade Edouard 72
5. Doubs Mystique

Mind you, I have only tried a small amount of absinthe on the market, about 25-30 different kinds. All the above though I have tried multiple batches of, and have had positive experiences each time. I still need to get my greedy paws on some vintage though, and see how the above list stands up.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Serrith @ Jul 24 2011, 05:23 AM) *
might as well throw my 5 favorites down

I think the phrase you're looking for is "toss them back"
Serrith
Haha, probably a better use for 'em, and more trouble for me.
OCvertDe

Drink it or sink it!
G&C
Indeed.
thegreenimp
Like my role model in life, W.C. Fields once said: "Everything I like is either immoral, illegal, or fattening."

IPB Image
G&C
You can say that again…
hartsmar
"Everything I like is either immoral, illegal, or fattening."
Tibro
… or just a damn good fuck.
Bruno Rygseck
  • Akveld's Verte
  • St. Antoine #3
  • Zürcher Fee
  • La Grenouille
  • Duplais verte

Absomphe
Ewe xure love that you're a'peein' stuff!
Bruno Rygseck
That's because of geography, mainly.

Butt I seriously plan to order drinks from the U.S. if I can find a seller willing to ship internationally… The list could look like this:
  • Herbsaint
  • Herbsaint
  • Herbsaint
  • Herbsaint
  • Pacifique
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.