Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Au Pays de l'Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Grim
I'm curious if anyone has a copy of this text and if they'd be willing to part with it.

Also, I'm shocked that with all the folks that contribute between here and french forums, there hasn't been more translating and discussions on this text…
absinthist
That edition?

IPB Image
Jay
Pardon my delay in joining in (I'm blaming my slow internet connection), but does anyone happen to have an English translation of this book they'd be willing to share? I know the odds are low on that, but learning French is still on my bucket list.
pierreverte
There is no English translation that I know of…thought about doing it myself, then decided to go on living my life…

Père Ubu
Was it a good book in French? If it is, it would be a good carrot to learn French.

I keep trying to learn French, but the fates conspire against me.
So does my feeble brain, but I can't help that bit.

Most French I meet, use our meetings as an opportunity to practice their English. When I enroll at the local college for a course, I get sent to France, where the practicing of the English ensues. Telle est la vie d'un homme simple.
Artemis
There is no English translation.
I have it. It's not an ordinary book. It's got illustrations, graphs, tables, charts, etc. It's like one of those books the State Department publishes at government expense about foreign countries, in this case, absinthe country.
I had the same experience as Pierre, years ago. I translated about three pages before I said to hell with this.
It would have to be a paying job.
Jay
Considering that it clocks in at over 200 pages, I figured that it might have more of interest beyond the charts, graphs, and statistics about the business and consumption of absinthe circa 1908, but it sounds as if that's not the case, so thanks for the heads-up, Artemis.

Looks like this horse will need to use a different carrot, ND.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Jean Martineau @ Sep 24 2010, 01:51 AM) *

Also, I'm shocked that with all the folks that contribute between here and french forums, there hasn't been more translating and discussions on this text…

Apprends le français, âne bête.
Père Ubu
This beast just needs to learn the "Germans trying to speak Latin" language. The language of the West would have been easier, but except for Catalunya, it has been forsaken. Shame, the Land of the West has a cool coat of arms.
Artemis
There's plenty of interest, including the charts and graphs. The whole book is interesting to me. The point was that in addition to the usual work of translation, illustrations would have to be scanned or otherwise captured, and in some cases reproduced from scratch using English in lieu of French for the text parts. Decisions would have to be made along the lines of what's interesting to a reader in 2012 and what's just a dusty old number that barely mattered in 1908, etc. etc.
Père Ubu
Would be interesting to read a copy, but right now I barely have time to read forums.
pierreverte
If anyone wants to step up to translate, here are a few scans of a complete book….

Couleru

Couleru 2

Couleru 3

Couleru 4

Couleru 5

fun!

Artemis
No. 5 is a prime example of what I meant. It defies duplication for many reasons and is a thing of beauty in its own right.
Jay
I'll be happy to translate all of the numbers if you'd like to do the rest.
Jack Batemaster
quatre-vingts ou huitante ?
Kirk
That's a lot of Pontica. Absinthe is at the bottom with all the herbs on top?
Père Ubu
I wish it was 80, but regretfully the 4x20 seems to have gotten hold. I would imagine that 80 was used in absinthe country long ago, since it seems to be used in that region more.
Jack Batemaster
Quoi au sujet de trois-six ?
Artemis
Quatrevingt is 80. I never heard of "huitante" until I saw it in Jack's post.

What, in No 2? The captions read "Harvest of petite wormwood at Pontarlier" (upper photo) and "Harvest of grand wormwood at Pontarlier" (lower photo).
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 15 2012, 01:00 AM) *
I translated about three pages before I said to hell with this.
It would have to be a paying job.

I have three boxes of papers on this beast, if you'd like a little light reading on early helicopter control systems.
Click to view attachment
Kirk
I was looking at #5, why did they grow more pontica than absinthe?
pierreverte
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 16 2012, 01:53 AM) *

Quatrevingt is 80. I never heard of "huitante" until I saw it in Jack's post.

"septante", "huitante" et "nonante" are used by the Belgians and Swiss for 70, 80 and 90…even the French can't understand them when they say them…

I think of Jack as a Belgian…
Tibro
…hell-bent on world domination?
pierreverte
Belgians: The World’s Most Evil People
Jay
Belgium in '80 is very Special(s). (About 60 seconds in, things get a bit quasi-Vicious (as in Sid), but not evil.)

[Edit - Bah, that is the Pink Pop festival, not Pukkelpop, so it's actually in the Netherlands. Damn it, the Belgians tricked me again!]
Artemis
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jun 15 2012, 11:00 PM) *

From top to bottom in the legend, it appears to be Melissa, Petite, Hyssop, and Grand. Is it deja vu, or didn't we discuss this here years ago? It was either about that graph, or some similar statistic that showed they were harvesting in most years, more Petite than anything else.
Artemis
"septante", "huitante" et "nonante" are used by the Belgians

Belgians. Now I get it. Looks like Jack got me. Sometimes I take his posts too literally for my own good.
Artemis
so it's actually in the Netherlands. Damn it, the Belgians tricked me again!

It takes the Germans a couple hours more to sweep through Belgium.

Much better beer in Belgium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXyqk9flwk
Artemis
I have three boxes of papers on this beast, if you'd like a little light reading on early helicopter control systems.

I want per diem and doughnuts with that one,
Jack Batemaster
Je parle belge
Jaded Prole
Sour Belgian.
Jack Batemaster
Je parle ça aussi
Jaded Prole
No, but you xould volunteer to do a grand mistranslation of this tome.
pierreverte
Ah, Jack et moi, together, making the misunderstanding of absinthe truly complete…I think I just jizzed in my pants…
Tibro
Talk about your happy endings.

Although it's a bit triste that bunny will be out of a job.
sbmac
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jun 16 2012, 11:03 AM) *

Don't forget this guy

GM
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Diane @ Jun 16 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Ah, Jack et moi, together…

Je vous vous appeler «Diane» .
Jay
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jun 16 2012, 03:03 PM) *

Incidentally, John Cleese agrees.
Kirk
حتى البلجيكي لن رفرف شفاههم ليست سبب من الأسباب
Provenance
IPB Image
Jack Batemaster
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.