Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Taste for Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
pierreverte
Click to view attachment‘A Taste for Absinthe’ Cocktail Book Release Event

Open Invitation:

•Monday, October 4 th, 2010 6 - 9 PM
•Book Passage in the Ferry Building – San Francisco

Book Passage
1 Ferry Building
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 835-1020

•Photographer Liza Gershman presents the release of the new book:
“A Taste for Absinthe: 65 Recipes for Classic and Contemporary Cocktails” by R. W. Guthrie and James F. Thompson with photos by Liza Gershman

From the Foreword:
"A Taste for Absinthe explores its history in the old world and in American cocktails, capturing the romance and mystery of absinthe, or the Green Fairy as it was affectionately known, while concisely telling the colorful story of its rise and fall."
- Dale DeGroff, aka King Cocktail

www.atasteforabsinthe.com

•A panel of absinthe experts, along with the author, will discuss history, production, cocktails and the future of absinthe, along with taking your questions.
•Book signing by the author, photographer and local bartenders who contributed their recipes:

•Erik Adkins of Slanted Door and Heaven’s Dog
•Scott Baird and Josh Harris – The Bon Vivants of 15 Romolo
•Neyah White of Nopa
•Jason ‘Buffalo’ Lograsso of Bourbon & Branch and Quince
•Tim Stookey of the Presidio Social Club
•Ryan Fitzgerald of Beretta
•Danny Louie of Dosa and Prospect
•Jeff Hollinger of Comstock Saloon

Barman Erik Adkins welcomes you after the event to try 4 different absinthe-based cocktails from recipes contributed to the book, along with traditional absinthe drips, on a special event-priced drinks menu at the Slanted Door restaurant, located in the Ferry Building near Book Passage.
Alan
It's a good book, PV. I reviewed it here.
Jaded Prole
R. Winston Guthrie is an absinthe expert and the founder of The Absinthe Buyers Guide.

Winnie lives! blink.gif

While I enjoy the occasional Sazerac or the rare Horsethief, the best absinthe cocktail remains
Absinthe properly watered.
pierreverte
Let's just say the book didn't write itself, but tried to at first…

Try a 'Brunelle' from the 1930 Savoy cocktail book :

1/2 oz. Absinthe
1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar or long trait of simple syrup

Makes no sense, even to experienced bartenders, but seems to highlight any absinthe (for good or bad, depending on the quality) by allowing the herbal elements to rise above the anise and fennel.

Wild Bill Turkey
I'll be going to this. I like the book, but I wish the pictures were printed in color.

Any idea who the panel of absinthe experts are?
pierreverte
The photos are ALL in color - the book was pre-reviewed by Amazon 'Vine' program book critics, who were all given soft-cover proofs and assumed the final book would be in black and white - it's not.
Patlow
Why is a martini glass on the cover of an absinthe book?
pierreverte
because it's an absinthe cocktail book?
Patlow
Like Christians against Christ

wink.gif
pierreverte
the first absinthe cocktail?
Patlow
chickawow.gif
pierreverte
the last absinthe cocktail…

Click to view attachment
absinthist
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Oct 1 2010, 01:00 PM) *

While I enjoy the occasional Sazerac or the rare Horsethief, the best absinthe cocktail remains
Absinthe properly watered.

…™
Provenance
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Oct 1 2010, 01:00 PM) *
Winnie lives! blink.gif

Jack needs a copy autographed by Winnie and Peter.
hartsmar
Book on the way to happy me. 65 cocktails... This is going to be some fun weeks ahead.
hartsmar
Recieved the book today...
It is definitely worth every penny. It's beautifully illustrated with wonderful photos. Just having had a glance at the recipes I obviously haven't had the time to try any of them yet but they sound (and look) delicious.

The short chapter on absinthe history have a few small flaws here and there but nothing I'll die over.

For any absintheur, or rather any drinker even remotely interested in cocktails, this should be in the bookshelf. Or better yet, on the bar counter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.