Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maldoror
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
absinthist
Why such a stupid name? Who is behind that?

Do you know it has won the Absinthiades in category verte?

Blended absinth(e)-mixture of French, Czech and Swiss. Why channelling ManXit™ again?
Absomphe
What, you have something against guys from Uruguay named Isidore?

Seriously, a member of this forum (from Finland) uses that screen name, so there just might be a connection…who knows?
Steve
Maldoror is (or was as of several years ago) also the screen name of Heure Verte over at his own forum, but I am pretty sure there is no connection!
Artemis
Mal

Alan
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 4 2010, 12:48 PM) *

Who is behind that?

It is bottled in Heidelberg, so I think there is a connection to Peter Fuss.
Donnie Darko
Sean Penn made an absinthe?
Tibro
We've been warned:

"It would not be well that all men should read the pages drink the spirits that are to follow; a few only may savor their bitter fruit without danger."
hartsmar
The Maldoror is a "creation" of Fuss, yes. If I'm correctly informed it's a mix of Bairnsfather, Muse Verte and something else.
It took first place in the Absinthiades for the vertes!
Not according to the professional jury though... :)

However when tasting it, the first three or four sips are quite ok. Nothing terribly wrong with the aroma or taste but it's just AFTER these first few sips that the bitterness and dryness comes through, and it STAYS.

So, probably this is why it scored as well as it did. In the tasting not many people take the time to actually taste the products but rather just take a few sips and then write it all down.

So, initially it seems ok, but in the end - it's just not that good (just as with the butterfly, if I may say so myself).

There you have it.
absinthist
Which Bairnfather? I hear the third addition was some la bleue.
hartsmar
Honestly, does it matter which?

I don't know exactly....
absinthist
If extra anise, then it might be quite palatable, as Muse Verte seems not to be that bad-boy and la bleue shall enhance the louche.
hartsmar
Oh the color and the louche is absolutely fine, and so is the initial taste and aroma. But the all too obvious Bairnsfather bitterness breaks through eventually.

I'm also told this is kind of a first try on this so maybe this will be slightly altered, I don't know.
Tibro
If the slight alteration doesn't subtract the filterated crap then it won't matter.
hartsmar
In part true. I'd like to know what it would taste like completely without that, but the "sad" truth is that up until the bitterness comes sneaking up on your palate, it's really not bad. Then it's zinkable.
Tibro
If you can't finish a glass it's hardly worth starting one. It can only make the disappointment greater.
hartsmar
Indeed. I didn't know that the first time I tried it though... :)
That was at the judging in Pontarlier.

After the judging I tried another glass of it in the bar to check if it was the absinthe itself that had this weird "quality" that it took a while before it "hit you", or if it was because of all the other absinthes tried during such a short period of time.

It was the Maldoror... now I know and you're right. There will be no more drinking the Maldoror for me, unless they change the "forumula" and the bitter finish go away.
Habu
blink.gif How can anything containing Bairnsfather receive any award (beside poop.gif of the year)?
Marc
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 8 2010, 08:09 AM) *

If I'm correctly informed it's a mix of Bairnsfather, Muse Verte and something else.

One of Bugnon's Verte, the Angélique I think.
hartsmar
Oh, so no wonder it's bitter then... Bairnsfather and the Angelique...
Absinthia
I'm sure Peter Fuss was laughing all weekend, having pulled this joke off :)
Alan
QUOTE(Marc @ Oct 18 2010, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 8 2010, 08:09 AM) *

If I'm correctly informed it's a mix of Bairnsfather, Muse Verte and something else.

One of Bugnon's Verte, the Angélique I think.

Not one of Bugnon's Vertes (according to my information).
absinthist
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 18 2010, 10:53 AM) *

Oh, so no wonder it's bitter then… Bairnsfather and the Angelique…

You should try the newest Angelique.
Steve
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 18 2010, 12:42 PM) *

You should try the newest Angelique.

I did. It's still too bitter.
hartsmar
Prexactly.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Absinthia @ Oct 18 2010, 11:02 AM) *

I'm sure Peter Fuss was laughing all weekend, having pulled this joke off :)

Well... It was helluva lot better than other things in the tasting so... That being said, it's not something I will care to drink again unless they get rid of that damned bitter finish.
Marc
QUOTE(Alan @ Oct 18 2010, 08:32 PM) *

Not one of Bugnon's Vertes (according to my information).

A Bleue then?
Definitely one of Bugnon's.
Steve
Sapphire would make sense, but that would be a terrible waste!
Marc
I'm sure it's not Sapphire.
absinthist
Maybe it was just a random La Bleue, not necessarily from CAB? Mal Odor seems to have been a joke, after all, not something for regular production, right?
hartsmar
According to people involved that is not the case.
Alan
I understand that Peter Fuss wanted to contribute to this conversation and may have registered here a couple of weeks ago. However his membership doesn't seem to have been processed. Can someone here help with that?
hartsmar
Being looked into...
Marc
New accounts validated but no Peter Fuss. Someone from Bairnsfather though.
Head_prosthesis
Apologies. We've been packing and unpacking from our recent move. I don't recall a Peter Fuss the last time I looked either. Thanks, Marc for filling in on my custodial duties.
Grim
Good luck on the move… it can be hectic.

And it's really good to see you back.
Head_prosthesis
Thanks, worst part is over I think. Now I just need to find all my tools and keeping a clear table top to work on.
Maldoror
No connection this time wink.gif . There´s also a Bordeaux wine Château Fougas Maldoror paying homage to our favourite belladonna chewer…

QUOTE(Absomphe @ Oct 5 2010, 12:06 AM) *

What, you have something against guys from Uruguay named Isidore?

Seriously, a member of this forum (from Finland) uses that screen name, so there just might be a connection…who knows?

Esseintes
hartsmar
Valuable insight, Esseintes...
Absomphe
More so with the ™.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.