Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthiades 2010
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
hartsmar
Figured it needed to be posted here...

It was a great time as always and this year the global warming loved us and it was sunny and summer-warm all weekend.

A couple of kodak moments from me to you...

Click to view attachment
Local train at Neuchâtel train station

hartsmar
Click to view attachment
The Eaux-de-vie museum in Lapoutroise, Alsace, France
hartsmar
Which was full of cute little mignonettes
Click to view attachment

Several thousands of them actually... (not all absinthe, sadly)
hartsmar
But one of them was odd...

Click to view attachment

A yellow Serpis!?!?
hartsmar
Friday night was jury duty... This is what was entered into the competition.

Click to view attachment

For once I think the jury I was in got the "better" of them.

hartsmar
Saturday we had lunch up at Chapeau de Napoléon. Overlooking the Val de Travers.
Wonderful food, shitty Swiss Pinot Noir.

Click to view attachment

Yours truly.

Click to view attachment
hartsmar
Click to view attachment

As usual, things to make you happy on exhibit in the museum.

And on sunday there was a little private party to end it all.
Lovely!

Click to view attachment

...that's all folks.
absinthist
The two between Angelique and Mal Odor are?
Steve
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 8 2010, 10:10 AM) *
But one of them was odd…
A yellow Serpis!?!?

cochenille mort
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 8 2010, 09:24 AM) *

The two between Angelique and Mal Odor are?

Closest to Maldoror on the left is Ulex Blanche... Uh-oh.
Next to that is another blanche from Devoille, made for Maison de Pastis (or whatever) and is pretty much a modified watered down Blanche de Fougerolles.

QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 8 2010, 09:34 AM) *

cochenille mort

HA!
Tibro
My first thought of the yellow Serpis was light damage. I wish my mind was elegant enough to think "cochenille mort". Beautifully put.

Thanks for the souvenirs.
hartsmar
you're welcome...
well, that was my initial thought also, but considering the many years I've had three different types of Serpis out in daylight I am certain that is not the case. Also, the yellow screw cap indicates that this might actually BE a yellow serpis.

I should write them and ask...
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 8 2010, 11:11 AM) *
My first thought of the yellow Serpis was light damage.
That was also my thought.
… "cochenille mort". Beautifully put.

Yes, it was.
Thanks for the souvenirs.

Indeed!
Absinthia
So which absinthes won this time?
G&C
The one that least resembles absinthe.
Just like every year…
Patlow
That really is amazing… Still, a list would be fun. (If only to get angry and giggle!)

Thanks for posting pics Hartsmar!
Absomphe
QUOTE(Absinthia @ Oct 11 2010, 08:08 AM) *

So which absinthes won this time?

The ones made by producers who offered the biggest payola to the judges?
hartsmar
Results:
Click to view attachment
sixela
Darn! The "jury populaire" really doesn't like wormwood, now, do they!

And the professionals are starting to like historical blanche absinthe more than Swiss-style modern Bleue, I see…

The only things that surprises me is the high score from the pro jury for the Maldoror.
Jaded Prole
I suspect that if someone slipped in the PF 14 (green) it would not rate as highly as the Malodor on this panel of experts.
hartsmar
As said in the Maldoror thread, the initial reaction on the Maldoror is that it's really not bad. It's after a while that it sneaks up on you and the bitterness hits.. During the tasting, most of the panel had probably already gone to white bread to reset the tastebuds, water to rinse and the next absinthe is in the glass...
Grim
How do they go about selecting the panels that'll eventually taste these absinthes?
hartsmar
Three jurys...

One professional - people in the business more or less.
Popular jury - the people...
"VIP jury" - journalists and authors and others...
Grim
Well that much I understood. I think I had something more specific in mind as to the finer design of it all… but that's likely a discussion for else-when… else-where. Thanks, at any rate.

How's Absomphe doing?
Absomphe
Happy as a pig in xit be I.

Must be all that "Pontarlier" wormwood. :cheers-hiram:
hartsmar
For the popular jury people who want to try it out just sign up to be part of it. The professional jury is more "invitation" based on connection to people there and the business. more or less. Sadly with little insight into how well people are actually qualified to do a tasting or not.

The good thing though is that the majority of the people in the Professional jury atleast know stuff about absinthe which certainly isn't the case for many in the other two jurys.

The VIP jury is invited "important" people that really know very little and I'd say it's mostly for show... :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.