Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you could choose...
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
hartsmar
While at the absinthiades this year, looking at the antiques (and getting a little dose-marked carafe while at it) I got to thinking about this...

What absinthe antique do people really really want? A fancy poster? A carafe? A specific glass? Any glass? A spoon?

So, this here is my completely unscientific study of what you folks really would like.
Get to it.

This is nothing other than my curiosity calling out to you.
thegreenimp
Legendre Absinthe bottle.

J & W Milky-Way Bottle

Greenopal Bottle

And a little Legendre & Co. trinket that I know is lurking in my city…
Patlow
I think a really cool original poster would be my choice. Something that could really make a room.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Patlow @ Oct 8 2010, 11:57 AM) *

I think a really cool original poster would be my choice. Something that could really make a room.

Should've been to the auction in Pontarlier... chickawow.gif
Grim
Are you talkin', like a dream-item… something fun imagining? Or something that is likely to appear on the antique trade?

(An appropriate-enough thread for October 9th, with "Imagine" blaring.)
hartsmar
Oh, just something you'd really like to have...
Either for the display or maybe something you really think would be a great antique to have for everyday use.

I'm a sucker for glasses, since I can use them and they make every drinking moment a happy moment.

I love posters because they're always there looking down on you...

Whatever makes your dick hard.

Edit: The "since I can use them" is an epic quote here... I know how to use a glass. Good for me!
That one's a keeper and I'm not editing it out.
OCvertDe
I'm always on the lookout for a serving tray to hold my fountain and a few glasses. If I came across an authentic antique that served that very purpose in the pre ban era I'd be ecstatic, say, one featured in a period Absinthe add or picture. I'd be pretty thrilled if I came across an affordable replica too though.
Grim
something you really think would be a great antique to have for everyday use…

A vintage absinthe glass with a natural rubber ball surrounding it would be nice.
Steve
I used to just want a feuille d'absinthe spoon. Now I don't care about spoons. I might get excited about an ouraline Pontarlier glass or East glass, if such were made and in excellent condition.
hartsmar
So a rubber-balled ouraline Pontarlier glass on an antique serving plate depicted on a poster would be Da Shit.
Grim
Cover the ball in hessian cloth and I'm all about it… yes.
G&C
Egg Glass.
hartsmar
blink.gif

??
Click to view attachment
G&C
Butt, not in Bleue.
absinthist
I am sure G&C meant one of these:

IPB Image

Egg glass sometimes called Verlaine glass.

The only vintage artefact I would pursue would be the spoon Toulouse Lautrec owned obviously by Tolouse Lautrec, not for using, but for having-i.e. knowing it is in the hands of another painter.

Bruno Rygseck
Absinthe glasses for me, please. The "Est" (east, conical) in particular, and/or the swirl glasses.

Edit: Now drinking Berthe from this glass:

IPB Image
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 8 2010, 12:34 PM) *

I am sure G&C meant one of these:

You think?!?! wink.gif
Grim
Seriously…

Vintage process wares have piqued my interest. I liked the Junod alcoomètres that I saw from Marc, but worried they'd break in transport… anything like that, I'd consider going after.

I've vintage alembics, conge, brocs, alcoomètres, etc.

Books I won't hardly ever pass up…
Tibro
Uh, how about a complete set of full, well-preserved, pristine condition bottles with labels of the top pre-ban marques? Is that asking too much?

Stroller
G&C
No.
M.T.
Provenance
http://www.oxygenee.com/Egrot.pdf
pierreverte
QUOTE(absinthist @ Oct 8 2010, 10:34 PM) *

The only vintage artefact I would pursue would be the spoon Toulouse Lautrec owned obviously by Tolouse Lautrec, not for using, but for having-i.e. knowing it is in the hands of another painter.

Which one do you want? The fake or the original version at the top?
Click to view attachment
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Oct 8 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Absinthe glasses for me, please. The "Est" (east, conical) in particular, and/or the swirl glasses.

Edit: Now drinking Berthe from this glass:

IPB Image

Rimbaud has one of those too. Probably my favorite glass.

Is that an oscillator you put it on top of?

As for me, I would love to have an unlimited supply of Dornier-Tuller pre-ban absinthe, so somebody needs to start reverse engineering that stuff now, please.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Patlow @ Oct 8 2010, 03:57 PM) *

The restaurant L'Absinthe here has a few enormous originals that are jaw dropping. Or if they're repros they certainly look like originals, but the chef said they were originals.
Artemis
None of it.
absinthist
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Oct 8 2010, 03:16 PM) *

Which one do you want? The fake or the original version at the top?

The one owned by Lautrec. Replica I have already.
pierreverte
News flash! (see photo above)

You have a replica of the greatest absinthe fake in existence (I have handled and studied two 'originals', the monogram was saw-cut into the spoon after it was plated silver over brass, causing the silver plate to chip). The photo shows the serving spoon that served(pun intended) as the model. An attractive fanatsy, but Lautrec would have never owned these spoons.
absinthist
You have got me. Yes, indeed. If we dig into Perruchot's works deeper we can easily find out that Lautrec preffered his absinthe sans sucre or as one of several ingredients that were incorporated into the genuine tremblement de terre.

I have been wondering who first finds that out and wondering long before why there is a Lautrec spoon, when Henri had never used one?
hartsmar
There's a Lautrec spoon because some people enjoy making money off of fakes.

The fact that the "Lautrec spoon" never was an actual spoon of Lautrec's have been known for years... Debated - but known.

But hey - it would be nice to possess an "absinthe artefact" previously owned by one of those famous drinkers - no debate there!
Jaded Prole
I've got one of those fakes. I like the design anyway.

As along as we're fantasizing, I'd really like one of these.
Tibro
I'm pretty much where Artemis is on this one (if I'm not misinterpreting his simple statement). I'm interested in the booze, for consumption. The pristine-condition bottles, once emptied, I'd put up for sale. I've got enough other clutter in my life, but I don't mind making a buck where I can. I hang on to stuff that's full of personal memories. Most of it would be useless junk to others. But I can be sentimental about gifts, so if anyone wants to bestow vintage junk on me I'd value it for the thoughtfulness of the giver. I'm not that ruthless.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Oct 9 2010, 03:21 AM) *

News flash! (see photo above)

You have a replica of the greatest absinthe fake in existence (I have handled and studied two 'originals', the monogram was saw-cut into the spoon after it was plated silver over brass, causing the silver plate to chip). The photo shows the serving spoon that served(pun intended) as the model. An attractive fanatsy, but Lautrec would have never owned these spoons.

I have a repro of the phony one too, as I'm sure many others here also have. I like how it looks, but stylistically it looks like nothing Lautrec would have ever done or liked (it's way more Art Nouveau than Lautrec ever was). In fact the TL carved into it is one the part of the design of the spoon I think sucks. In other words, it's not surprising it's a fake, and I'm actually kind of glad it is. I haven't polished it in awhile so it looks like corroded shit now. Oh well.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 9 2010, 07:21 AM) *

I'm pretty much where Artemis is on this one (if I'm not misinterpreting his simple statement). I'm interested in the booze, for consumption. The pristine-condition bottles, once emptied, I'd put up for sale. I've got enough other clutter in my life, but I don't mind making a buck where I can. I hang on to stuff that's full of personal memories. Most of it would be useless junk to others. But I can be sentimental about gifts, so if anyone wants to bestow vintage junk on me I'd value it for the thoughtfulness of the giver. I'm not that ruthless.

Some people get a thrill out of enjoying things from before their time period that are rare in their own time period, and look at collecting these artifacts as stepping into a time machine. I feel that way when I go to the Museum of Natural History and look at the fossil of Archaeopteryx (150 million year time machine!). To each their own, I suppose, but when I look at what's left of my vintage items, I don't get that excited about them, but I do get excited when I look at all the rarities on Oxy's site, and get super excited when I get to taste a good pre-ban. It's a weird conundrum. Maybe the allure is the rarity of the experience, knowing that probably less than 100 people alive today have tasted Dornier-Tuller (or other uncommon brand) absinthe.

Suppose that the car you drive around now for transportation and that you're not particularly in love with stops being made and the manufacturer goes under (any of you have a Saturn or a Pontiac?). Then one day, 100 years after you're dead, a group of enthusiasts go literally apeshit over your car and pay more for it in its dilapidated condition than you did when you bought it new, and there are clubs and websites dedicated just to your car, and shows where people exhibit your car. It would be weird, huh? I wonder how people who sat around drinking Pernod Fils every day in their East glasses would feel about us lot? Think about how many of them accidentally dropped their glass and it shattered and they said "oh well, c'est la vie".
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 9 2010, 04:21 AM) *

I'm pretty much where Artemis is on this one (if I'm not misinterpreting his simple statement). I'm interested in the booze, for consumption.

Ditto.

I have a few vintage glasses, but that's about it.
Stroller
I buy stuff occasionally but I'm more interested in tasting vintage.

Need to frame this.

Click to view attachment
Donnie Darko
It still amuses me that one of the least written about or documented absinthes, with no full bottles that have been found in the modern era that I am aware of, has by far the most popular poster. Whoever was the graphic designer for that one was a genius.
Tibro
Donny, I don't dispute or deny your reasoning. I'd just like to know if you feel compelled to possess your own fossil of Archaeopteryx? (And I'll wish you luck and think none-the-worse of you if you do.)
dakini_painter
Then one day, 100 years after you're dead, a group of enthusiasts go literally apeshit over your car and pay more for it in its dilapidated condition than you did when you bought it new, and there are clubs and websites dedicated just to your car, and shows where people exhibit your car. It would be weird, huh?

I want a Darrin Packard and a chauffeur to drive it. Nothing fancy mind you.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Oct 9 2010, 03:12 AM) *

Is that an oscillator you put it on top of?

Yes, Brüel&Kjaer sine generator 20-20000 Hz circa 1975, here with a Swiss carafe and Trio oscilloscope from 1980.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 9 2010, 02:02 PM) *

Donny, I don't dispute or deny your reasoning. I'd just like to know if you feel compelled to possess your own fossil of Archaeopteryx? (And I'll wish you luck and think none-the-worse of you if you do.)

I would LOVE to own such a thing, but I would never keep it in my house. I would keep it perpetually loaned out to museums, because it would be quite an asshole thing to do if I were only to bring such a priceless and remarkable artifact out for friends who had come over for dinner. Maybe if I were a James Bond villain that might be something I'd be inclined to do, but items of rare and educational value in my opinion belong in museums, where they can be appreciated by everyone.

A 100+ year old liquor that was first adored and then reviled and banished, however, does not necessarily fall into the same category of priceless museum piece. It's an esoteric enough of an interest where personal collections of the items are fine and dandy, no enshrinement in a museum for the public benefit is necessary (though I found the Pontarlier museum's collection exciting and impressive). I just realized that after getting a few such items, I discovered that for me drinking it was way more important than owning it, as Artemis suggested.
thegreenimp
I want certain things for the same reason "Luke" had in that cold handed prison flick," just somethin' to do".

If I get them, it answers a question I have as well.

Donnie Darko
That would be awesome if you had a collection of sawed off parking meter heads.
Stroller
"Cutting' the heads off parking' meters, Captain."
dakini_painter
Better do it soon, as parking meters are going the way of the dodo to be replaced by the street central parking machine.

I just realized that maybe you could buy a bunch of them cheap from a city getting rid of it's parking meters. Might even be able to get them by the pound.
Donnie Darko
The good thing about those muni-meters is that you can use a card. The bad thing is that half the time they won't read your card, so you have to run to some store to try and convince them to give you change, which you can never get in NYC unless you buy something. So you buy a coffee you didn't want, get change and you come back to discover that some vulture meter maid has already descended upon your vehicle and shat out a parking ticket onto your windshield.
OCvertDe
I hate those vulture meter maids.
G&C
The meters in Seattle are solar powered.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Oct 10 2010, 06:43 AM) *

The good thing about those muni-meters is that you can use a card. The bad thing is that half the time they won't read your card, so you have to run to some store to try and convince them to give you change, which you can never get in NYC unless you buy something. So you buy a coffee you didn't want, get change and you come back to discover that some vulture meter maid has already descended upon your vehicle and shat out a parking ticket onto your windshield.

Over here, or in Sweden atleast, they must wait a minimum of five minutes before giving you a ticket, fpr that very reason...
Patlow
The public trashcans in Philadelphia are also solar powered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.