Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O'Reilly, the View and Muslims
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Grim
Do your thing boys…
Grim
Don't know who the hell Donne is… moderators? Maybe ya'll can use your magic and change that to "Donnie?"

or… Calling Donne Walsh.
Artemis
Shenma yisz?
Donnie Darko
Sure, I'll take a swing at that Piñata, even though it's full of nothing but poo and I don't have enough hand sanitizer to get it off of myself…

1. It's not a "Mosque" they're planning on building. Bill O'Reilly doesn't know what a Mosque is. It's an interfaith Islamic cultural center, complete with a 9/11 memorial and prayer rooms for Muslims, Christians and Jews. Gosh, isn't that the worst thing in the world? Sounds just a slap in the face to 9/11 victims to me!

2. If every muslim were Sufi Muslim, like the ones hoping to hypothetically build this Islamic cultural center, then 9/11 never would have happened. Sufis are pacifists. If we want to fight terrorism, we should be encouraging Sufism, not attacking it.

3. There's already a real mosque 4 blocks away from ground zero. An Islamic prayer room was also built in the Pentagon after it was attacked on 9/11. Where's the right-wing self-righteous outrage about that?

4. The proposed Islamic cultural center is not AT ground zero, unlike what the liars on Fox News imply when they call it the "Ground Zero Mosque". It's two blocks away, can't even be seen from the actual site. I've been down there. It's next to an OTB. Apparently blowing your last few dollars on a horse in the hopes that you'll win so you can afford to stay drunk is a good way to commemorate 9/11, but a Muslim version of the YMCA is in bad taste.

5. The proposed Islamic center was mentioned on the front page of the NY Times many many months before and nobody made a fuss. Not even the rightest of right-wingers flinched. Several months later closer to election time, Fox reported it as if it were news and played it over and over again until it became news. This is a phony issue that nobody was upset about until Fox manufactured a controversy.

6. Bill O'Reilly's paycheck is underwritten by Saudi Al-Waleed Bin-Talal, the 2nd largest investor in News Corp after Murdoch, and he is WAY the hell more of an Islamic radical than that Imam Rauf could ever dream of being. Is Bill going to give back his money because he doesn't want to take radical muslim dollars? Of course not.

7. Never to be outdone, stupid Muslims have equated this issue with the Civil Rights movement, as if Muslims were not allowed to vote, drink from the same fountains, or ride buses with the honkeys, and used to be slaves. Thanks for injecting yet more absurd hyperbolic hysteria into the conversation, you nitwits. Why am I even defending your right to build that building?

and most importantly

8. The View is a stupid show and I don't understand why people watch those stupid ladies. I can't believe they were stupid enough to invite that snake O'Reilly on and then act all surprised when he showed up in character. Did they think he would agree with them and not interrupt them or yell? Morons. Might as well have 6 Irish guys at the pub solving the world's problems over pints, in fact that might actually be a better show. All those opinion shows are trash. The only opinion shows I really like to watch are The Daily Show and Colbert, because they help me to laugh at all the stultifying absurdity that encompasses our sources of "information", instead of wanting to put my fist through a wall. It's therapy.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Grim @ Oct 14 2010, 07:56 PM) *

Don't know who the hell Donne is… moderators? Maybe ya'll can use your magic and change that to "Donnie?"

or… Calling Donne Walsh.

I'd be curious to hear what Don (donne) Walsh would have to say. I suspect I'd disagree with him on nearly everything, but would probably still respect him because at least he's not an ignorant fuck. I get far more bothered by snakes that use ignorance and manipulative fear-mongering as their currency, like O'Reilly, Rush and Beck, than I am bothered by sincere well-read articulate conservatives.
hobgoblin
I've never seen that show as I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, but from the clip it seems like total trash. What's the point of having show-biz celebs like Whoopi Goldberg discussing current affairs anyway? Does their celebrity status somehow make their opinions more relevant?

6 Irish guys in a pub solving the world's problems over pints? Sounds good. Can I volunteer to be one of them?
thegreenimp
Daytime TV, it's where dried up old skanks, washed up comics, and "the almost was", go to die.

The layer of hell below that, is The Lifetime Channel.
Donnie Darko
One of my favorite Zach Galafinakis jokes goes like this:

"Have you seen that show on Lifetime, about that woman?"….

My other favorite one is about his name. He says "It's cute, because it starts with a gal, and ends with a kiss. But I wish I was named Zach Galafinafuck."
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Oct 15 2010, 04:39 AM) *

It's an interfaith Islamic cultural center, complete with a 9/11 memorial and prayer rooms for Muslims

Oh I see…… you mean like a mosque?
G&C
Is that what they're calling them these days?
Jaded Prole
Bfd. There's a Muslim prayer room in the Pentagon. Does that render the entire edifice a Mosque?
Oxygenee
I see your point, but the thing is, the presence of lots of men with buzz-cuts going "HOOAH" cancels out most of the Pentagon's mosque-eness.

Whereas on the other hand, at the 9/11 Islamic Interfaith Centre For Global Peace, The Promotion Of Unicorns And Ponies and The Destruction of Zionist Imperialism, the presence of lots of men going "Let's restore the Caliphate" tends to make the place EXTRA mosque-ey.
Jaded Prole
My point is that the cultural center/Mosque in NYC is a non-issue used by nationalists. In our country all religions have a right to practice their faiths. I don't like religion in general but neither do I hate Muslims or feel they should be singled out. Having experienced religious persecution and bigotry growing up in anti-Semitic areas, my hackles are raised when I hear it applied to anyone.

Actually, those particular Muslims are rather conservative.
Provenance
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Nov 10 2010, 07:47 AM) *

There's a Muslim prayer room in the Pentagon.

Umm, no. There's a non-demoninational chapel used by all faiths.
http://www.factcheck.org/2010/08/no-pentagon-mosque/
eric
This has become a non issue now that the election has passed. Scumbag politicians will not be grandstanding about this for another couple of years.
Patlow
True dat.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 10 2010, 11:19 AM) *

I see your point, but the thing is, the presence of lots of men with buzz-cuts going "HOOAH" cancels out most of the Pentagon's mosque-eness.

Whereas on the other hand, at the 9/11 Islamic Interfaith Centre For Global Peace, The Promotion Of Unicorns And Ponies and The Destruction of Zionist Imperialism, the presence of lots of men going "Let's restore the Caliphate" tends to make the place EXTRA mosque-ey.

It's not a mosque according to Islamic requirements for a "mosque" any more than a YMCA is a church. But it would be OK if it was a mosque also, because Muslims are granted the same freedoms under the constitution that Jews and Christians are granted.

Of course I think the teachings of Islam are stupid and mostly deplorable, whether Sufi, Sunni or Shia. But if Fox News, which is nearly owned by Al Waleed Bin Talal (prince of the country that just adores Jews, especially Israeli ones), gets to have a building anywhere on the island of Manhattan, then Rauf can have his building, whatever you want to call it.
Kirk
Muslims aren't near as rudderless as Mormons. But my opinion on religions rises just above my opinion of pimples.
Donnie Darko
The title of Rabbi, Reverend, or Imam preceding someone's name should command as much respect as someone who has the title "astrologer" before their name.

I'll pick the Imam that says Jihad is an internal battle over one that says it's an external battle, though. I'm surprised that any Jewish person wouldn't prefer the same thing, even if the Imam does want to build a "9/11 Unicorn Mosque of anti-Zionism".
Kirk
Next time you are chasing unicorns David, stop by here and I'll show you what we actually spend our bullets on.
Not to say your experience as a multicultural citizen isn't pertinent to the subject at hand, but. . .
R3al Caravano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2bCc0EGP6U
Jaded Prole
Next time you are chasing unicorns David, stop by here and I'll show you what we actually spend our bullets on.

You're raising unicorns now?
Kirk
No dear
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(R3al Caravano @ Nov 13 2010, 08:00 AM) *

Galifianakis cracks me up every time. Watch the one where he rips that girl apart who is on her cell phone and makes her come up on stage.
Phoenix
QUOTE(eric @ Nov 10 2010, 10:49 AM) *

This has become a non issue now that the election has passed. Scumbag politicians will not be grandstanding about this for another couple of years.

True, but it appears that some citizens still haven't given up the fight in other parts of the country.

Locals Protest Mosque That's Actually a Church
Donnie Darko
It's a Witch! Burn it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.