Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juan Williams
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Stroller
I listen to NPR almost every day & this is a fucked up move on their part.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p…737&ps=cprs
Kirk
I agree that's a bad move on NPR's part, but, do you get nervous when you see Muslims on a plane, looking like Muslims?
Tibro
No.

When I see parents with infants on the plane I get nervous. Those little suckers can wail like banshees with the pressure changes during the ascent and descent. Not always, but enough to make me nervous.
eric
Nope, only when I see a Muslim who is trying not to look like a Muslim do I get suspicious.
Jaded Prole
I get nervous on planes period. I usually smuggle a little absinthe on and ask for water when the attendant comes 'round.

Still, it's a shame we have to fear nutty extremists foreign or domestic.
G&C
We don't have to fear them.
In fact, they win if you do.
Jaded Prole
Never the less. It's too bad about Juan Williams. It seems one can't be too careful about what one says these days if you are a public figure of any kind. Celebrity is its own prison.
Kirk
My point was it does not bother me a bit to ride or fly with Muslims. People with too much carrion overhead bother me though, as well as screaming kids.
Jaded Prole
Same here though properly prepared carrion is always nice.
Tibro
"He said, you know, to be _really_ safe you should always carry a bomb on an airplane. Because the chances of there being _one_ bomb on a plane are pretty small. But the chances of _two_ bombs are almost minuscule. So by carrying a bomb on a plane, the odds of your becoming a hostage or of getting blown up are astronomically reduced."

Laurie Anderson, "New Jersey Turnpike"
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Kirk @ Oct 21 2010, 09:28 AM) *

I agree that's a bad move on NPR's part, but, do you get nervous when you see Muslims on a plane, looking like Muslims?

I never get nervous. I do however feel disturbed whenever I see a woman in a Burka. I never think "oh my god, could she be hiding a bomb under there?", but I do think "it's terrible that she has to hide under there".

Juan Williams statement is quite different from my thought process however, and it reveals him to be an ignorant xenophobe (at least towards Muslims), and I don't want ignorant xenophobic newscasters, so I'm OK with NPR firing the guy. I wonder how Williams would react if a white guy said "I get nervous and lock my car doors when I drive through black neighborhoods"? He showed his true colors once he was let go, in these remarks for Fox:
"This is an outrageous violation of journalistic standards and ethics by management that has no use for a diversity of opinion, ideas or a diversity of staff (I was the only black male on the air). This is evidence of one-party rule and one sided thinking at NPR that leads to enforced ideology, speech and writing. It leads to people, especially journalists, being sent to the gulag for raising the wrong questions and displaying independence of thought."

Being sent to the Gulag? How's that for self-righteous hyperbole? I'm surprised he didn't say it was Kristallnacht over at NPR. You get fired for saying you're scared of people wearing "muslim garb", and that makes you the victim of a racist attempt to squelch diversity? How many news executives, when looking for diversity, try to make sure they have someone on staff who is afraid of Muslims? I know of only one: Roger Ailes.

That being said, News organizations are stupid. Somebody needs to explain to them that having a left-wing ignorant asshole and a right-wing ignorant asshole does not make their coverage balanced, in fact it discourages balance. John Stewart tried to tell them that, but it's just become even worse since Crossfire was cancelled, where instead of having one show devoted to partisan assholes, now dozens of them are. I wish they'd fire every single person they call an "analyst", because what that title really means is "someone who usually isn't a good reporter but who is great at spinning information".
Kirk
Reminds me of what happens on popular forums and government institutions; a trend toward demoting up.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(G&C @ Oct 21 2010, 10:16 AM) *

We don't have to fear them.
In fact, they win if you do.

Very very true.

And yeah Kirk, Williams should thank NPR. Fox just gave him a $2 million contract because he stood up for "independence of thought" (i.e. being scared of Muslims).
hobgoblin
QUOTE(eric @ Oct 21 2010, 02:55 PM) *

Nope, only when I see a Muslim who is trying not to look like a Muslim do I get suspicious.

You mean like when you see a group of blokes with bushy beards in full Islamic attire, getting hammered in the airport bar and eating bags of pork scratchings while playing poker? That makes me nervous too.

Or do you mean blokes like my Muslim friend who doesn't have a bushy beard or wear Islamic dress, but regularly gets hammered, eats bacon and is the one to organise poker nights?
Tibro
That's a trick question. Which ones are hiding explosive devices, then I'll tell you.

Although I did get a chuckle from the first option before I saw where you were going with it in the second option.
Donnie Darko
I nearly split my ribs at Colbert's line last night. "Juan Williams should be relieved he got fired, because at he'll never see any Muslims at Fox."
hobgoblin
QUOTE(Tibro @ Oct 26 2010, 04:50 PM) *

That's a trick question. Which ones are hiding explosive devices, then I'll tell you.
The one hiding the explosives is most likely a white, clean shaven, well-spoken, American born (or British born) Muslim, wearing a suit, drinking coffee in Starbucks and reading a newspaper.
Tibro
Sorry, but that sounds like somebody that I'd like to strap explosives to, if given the chance and immunity from prosecution.
Stroller
I'm with ya as long as you set it off in the Starbucks.
Donnie Darko
Hey, what's wrong with paying $6 for a quadruple dose of coffee that has more calories than a big mac, likely making you even more hypertensive and high strung than you already are, all while not even being able to get off your fucking cell phone to make the order, while running people over with your baby carriage, and thinking those black tights you're wearing are actually pants, and thinking those tights make you look hot and not like the vapid whore you actually are?

(can you tell I've been spending too much time on the upper east side of Manhattan lately?)

You know what I use Starbucks for? To take a shit. NYC has a severe deficiency of public restrooms, but because there's a Starbucks every 1/2 block, that makes up for it. So please don't blow up Starbucks near me, otherwise when nature calls I'll be in a tight spot.
G&C
You have no toilet in your apartment?

I now know why I don't live in NYC!
thegreenimp
What's a Starbucks?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.