Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fallout New Vegas
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Artemis
There is absinthe in the game.
Phoenix
I've been playing it. It's one hell of a good game so far.

Here's some pics I took.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Artemis
I have run across a few bottles, but I never do anything with liquor in these games other than sell it. Never take the drugs, either.

Looks like assbinthe. Seems it boosts charisma and reduces intelligence. Sounds about right.
Donnie Darko
It's on my Christmas list. I don't need to play New Vegas to get addicted to Absinthe and lose my intelligence though.

In Fallout 3 I took the drugs once but being addicted was a pain in the ass, so I always sold them and bought ammo too. And then once I found the Alien Disintegrator rifle in the I never really needed another weapon, so I sold every other gun I had and got rich.
kaseijin
I so want to get New Vegas… that and the new Assassin's Creed
Artemis
Those who plan to buy it, be aware that it's buggy. Before you can have a good game, you have to have good software, and from that standpoint it stinks. The Xbox version is almost unplayable. It should come with a disc of Lord of the Rings so there would be something to watch during the LONG waits for the game to start, for fast travel, and for doors to open. When you're going to a location that involves going through two gates, a doorway, and a couple of elevators, the waiting (you get to watch a roulette wheel turning) is maddening. There are freezes that can't be corrected except with the power switch, companions that disappear, quests that are broken and cannot be completed by any means, etc. etc.

Spoilers ahead....

That said, when it works, it's brilliant. There is an intensive plot development that potentially involves almost all the characters in the game, and no simplistic good or evil choices - there really are no good choices, just less evil choices.

It's almost worth the price of admission for the school of Elvis impersonators, run by "The King", whose trainees form a gang that keeps the peace in the slums of the destroyed part of Vegas. The King allows in dialogue that he doesn't know the name of the man he worships, it being lost to history, but he knows the guy was often called The King. He has a robot dog that's pretty cool.

One of the potential companions for the player seems like a milksop, and he will only hook up with you if you're so stupid he feels sorry for you or you're so intelligent he considers you on his level. You wonder what he could offer, maybe a bandaid if you get into a scrape, but to see him in a fight .... hair and meat all over the road!
Grim
I'm pissed.

Either my GPU or CPU is cookin' and I can smell it.
Artemis
There was a power outage recently that caused my CMOS to be lost - probably the battery is weak - the computer doesn't understand 2010 dates when it reverts to 2001! Got it corrected but had to delete and reload some software - took about a day to get it all straightened out. Had a CPU fan die with a horrible noise during the summer - fortunately was able to find one but had to cut and splice some wires to get it hooked up. It's more powerful than the previous fan, but sounds like a B52 warming up.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 14 2010, 08:12 PM) *

Those who plan to buy it, be aware that it's buggy. Before you can have a good game, you have to have good software, and from that standpoint it stinks. The Xbox version is almost unplayable. It should come with a disc of Lord of the Rings so there would be something to watch during the LONG waits for the game to start, for fast travel, and for doors to open. When you're going to a location that involves going through two gates, a doorway, and a couple of elevators, the waiting (you get to watch a roulette wheel turning) is maddening. There are freezes that can't be corrected except with the power switch, companions that disappear, quests that are broken and cannot be completed by any means, etc. etc.

Bethesda had that issue when Oblivion came out too. It crashed or froze my 360 all the time. I managed to finish it anyway, in spite of losing and having to redo hours upon hours of gameplay. Then a year or so later they came out with the Game of the Year edition, and that worked great and had Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine.

I'll hold out for the Game of the Year edition for New Vegas… provided they actually win game of the year, which may not happen since they obviously released the game without testing it. It's too bad because I really liked Fallout 3, which had very few bugs. I'm sure they'll sort out the bugs eventually.

I can't wait to play Assassin's Creed 3 though, given what an enormous improvement Assassin's Creed 2 was over the first one.
Artemis
I have to say Fallout New Vegas is a considerable improvement over Fallout 3 in terms of the game (but not the glitches, obviously). The scope and details of the plot and possible sub-plots surpass anything I've seen. They tried to do so much, maybe that's why not everything was QC checked, not that I'm making excuses for them.

There are supposed to be patches issued imminently - from the list of things that will be corrected, it's obvious that almost every quest has something wrong with it, and that's not acceptable. I'm kind of lucky to have experienced relatively few of the glitches, it seems. People who experienced more are really pissed off at Bethesda.
Artemis
I enjoyed the acrobatics and sense of flying in the original Assassin's Creed, as well as the feeling of walking about in the Holy Land, but the gameplay left a lot to be desired. It seemed that every time you were supposed to take out a target by stealth, SURPRISE and through no fault of your own you would up in a melee with a dozen opponents.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 14 2010, 09:25 PM) *

I have to say Fallout New Vegas is a considerable improvement over Fallout 3 in terms of the game (but not the glitches, obviously). The scope and details of the plot and possible sub-plots surpass anything I've seen. They tried to do so much, maybe that's why not everything was QC checked, not that I'm making excuses for them.

What would you say are the improvements over Fallout 3? I liked Fallout 3 quite a lot, but did find myself getting bored by the sheer bleakness of the environment, though of course you can't have a post-apocalyptic game in a lush Oblivion-like environment. And while I did beat the main quest in Fallout 3, I was disappointed that in the Game of the Year edition, once you restore fresh water, nothing much really changes. I thought they'd at least plant a few trees or some shit, but it's just the same old wasteland and nobody even acknowledges what you accomplished. I still had fun with it, but felt more detached from the world it was set in than I did in Oblivion.

As far as Assassin's Creed 2 goes, they essentially got rid of all the gameplay flaws from 1, and greatly augmented everything that was good about 1. No longer do you arouse the attention of guards merely by running. You pretty much have to kill someone right in front of guards to get noticed, and even then if their back is turned you can get away with it, and your methods of stealth and assassination are much more diverse, realistic and just plain fun than in AssCreed1. There's also quite a bit of Davinci-code esque puzzle solving and artifact finding, and you also get to build your own palazzo and can use your increasing properties to earn money to buy upgrades, creating a game-within-a-game type scenario that beats the living shit out of AssCreed 1, where you spent most of your time just getting chased. And you're in 16th century Italy, which is beautiful and nicely detailed, complete with Leonardo Davinci's workshop, the Vatican and other historically significant locales. And you get a horse in parts of the game, and that horse is great, I like it even better than the Dark Brotherhood horse Shadowmere from Oblivion. And the writing and story are really well done. It doesn't feel like a cheesy videogame as much as the first one did, they actually hired several film script doctors to write it, and it shows.

If you've got a place near you that rents games or want to spring for a gamefly membership, I think you'd actually like Assassin's Creed 2. Everybody I know who disliked 1 loved 2, myself included. In fact I just decided to ignore my upcoming overwhelming schedule and ordered Assassin's Creed 3, because Amazon is having a 1 day $20 off sale on the game. I figure if I can devote a couple of hours a night to it I should still be able to meet my deadlines. It's not quite the open ended sandbox that Bethesda games are. You can't just walk into any house you choose, for example, but there's still a lot of room for sandbox style exploring and running about, and what the game lacks in complete open-endedness they make up for with a very rich story.
Green Baron
I loved Fallout 3 and I gotta say that New Vegas is a definite improvement. Storywise, questwise especially but also improved gameplay mechanics- the new hardcore mode, manually aimed shots are more rewarding using FPS style iron sights, etc. There are definitely bugs and I think the biggest gamebreaking ones I've encountered are quest related, but they haven't been too bad since I save often and am willing to look up workarounds online.

But yeah, story, complexity, freedom, sense of time/place are excellent.
Artemis
What would you say are the improvements over Fallout 3?

Almost everything. There are creatures that are so tough to kill for a player who hasn't built the necessary skills, the only option is to run. All the NPCs are potentially connected to the main plot, and will react in entirely different ways depending upon your own faction or lack thereof. I'm on my second playthrough (rushed through the first) and am discovering things, plots, and relationships I completely missed the first time, whereas in Fallout 3 it only goes one way in linear fashion no matter what you do. The game includes clones of Elvis, Caesar, Howard Hughes, Jackie Mason, etc. You learn things about factions in the previous games that were never revealed back then, such as that the Enclave was the official government entity in the U.S. Even the "good" characters have some ulterior selfish motive and if you look hard enough, you can find out what it is and react accordingly. You learn who is making the illegal drugs and can either help them, defeat them, or talk them into making medicine instead, etc. etc.

I liked Fallout 3 quite a lot, but did find myself getting bored by the sheer bleakness of the environment, though of course you can't have a post-apocalyptic game in a lush Oblivion-like environment.

Agreed on all counts. In New Vegas, there is some relief as a small part of Vegas was not hit by the nuclear weapons and there are a few locations that have natural beauty.

And while I did beat the main quest in Fallout 3, I was disappointed that in the Game of the Year edition, once you restore fresh water, nothing much really changes.

I don't like the term "beat" the game as in my view one only finishes the game. It was designed to be finished. I bet all the people who get killed early and often in the game don't use the phrase "lost the game" to describe that, but technically that's losing the game.

It's true that the bleak setting is not conducive to a player taking comfort in his role no matter what, but as you say, it's probably not easy to be comfortable after the world has almost ended.
Artemis
From the standpoint of game mechanics, as has been pointed out, it's also improved. Guns have pretty much the effect they would actually have - .22s don't make much noise, but they don't do great damage, or none in the case of armored opponents, whereas there are a few mega weapons, very difficult to acquire or maintain, that will take out a whole squad of infantry at one shot. You can set the game to use the actual sights of the various guns, instead of using that little X on the target. You can create medicines and poisons in a manner obviously lifted from The Witcher (a beautiful game, fwiw, and my favorite RPG). You can obtain operations to transform yourself into a sort of cyborg, etc. etc.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 15 2010, 02:03 PM) *

You can create medicines and poisons in a manner obviously lifted from The Witcher (a beautiful game, fwiw, and my favorite RPG).

I wish they had a PS3 version of that game, it appears to be PC only. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Artemis
Witcher was released only for PC.
Donnie Darko
Oh boy!
http://elderscrolls.com/

Artemis
So the patch for New Vegas Xbox was finally released this week.

My Xbox does have a wireless connection to my router, but I don't turn it on as I have no use for Xbox Live or any of that "community" (read: allow Microsoft to spy on you) bullshit. After searching the Internets in vain for several hours for an alternative to connecting to Xbox Live to obtain the patch, I gave up and hooked up.

They want your name. No big deal - I give a fake name, as I always do with such crap and even with legitimate sites if I can get away with it. They want an email address. WHY? I give them a garbage can email address, of which I have several for such purposes. I opt out of all the options that are enabled by default (my Internet search wasn't totally for nothing, as it tutored me about that shit), such as receiving spam, all the "sharing" bullshit, etc.

The patch was applied in a matter of seconds. But in the process Xbox Live assigned to me a "gamer tag" that is assigned by Microsoft at random. Now that the Xbox is again disconnected from the router, this useless, ugly "gamer tag" has taken the place of my name on the Xbox. No way to change it except by hooking up again to Xbox live again - I understand Microsoft magnanimously allows one such change - on a piece of equipment that I own and would never have allowed them to touch other than the fact it was unavoidable to repair a fucked up game that should never have been released in the state it was in.

Want to change your name? Ask Microsoft mother may I.
Donnie Darko
Those online gaming networks are designed for people who wish the world to know either who they are or who their bad-ass gamer persona is. They're definitely not friendly to someone wanting to play single-player games and who wishes for privacy. I'm not sure about Microsoft, but in my experience Sony (via the PS3 network) has never sold or given away my information, and the online connection is useful for routine software/interface updates necessary for either games or the console itself. I think Sony gives you an option where, if you choose, the PSN store can recommend games for you based on your gaming habits, allowing them to spy on you. But from what I can tell you have to expressly give them permission for such a thing, as I've been on the PS3 for years and they've never recommended anything to me.

What I will sometimes use my PS3 for online is shared processing for scientific research. By giving them permission, they can utilize your CPU power to conduct protein folding research, which is very difficult to do on a single computer but can become quite fast using networked processing. This is a brilliant use of popular technology for the common good. Shared processing started with Silicon Graphics computers, and was utilized to render computer generated images for movies. Some clever researcher realized that rather than asking for funds for a super computer, they already had a free supercomputer in the form of hundreds of millions of PC and PS3 users.
Artemis

Again - tell them your birthday and allow cookies first.

April 1st, in the year of our Lord kiss my ass, and no thanks.
Donnie Darko
Did the patch fix everything, by the way?

QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 23 2010, 03:29 PM) *

April 1st, in the year of our Lord kiss my ass, and no thanks.

My birthday is always 06/06/66 for those purposes. evill.gif
Artemis
routine software/interface updates necessary for ... the console itself

When I first bought the Xbox, that sort of update was announced as necessary (or at least, recommended) when I turned it on, and applied with no Xbox Live account needed.

You make a good point about sharing your information or even your machine for the common good, but all I found in my reading was about gamer posturing or, from the gamers who actually think about and have looked into such things, the spying (Microsoft giving you the boot if you've tampered with the box in a way that goes against their bottom line, which they can now do because it has an identity that is now registered with them).

And I can't say the patch has corrected everything, but it did correct one thing for sure - an NPC that was needed to complete a quest, but had disappeared - I went immediately to where she was supposed to be in the first place and sure enough she was there.

I haven't taken the time to see if my flying robot, which had stopped shooting at bad guys and didn't always follow me around like it's supposed to, is fully functional again.
Provenance
The last computer game I remember began You are standing in an open field

I don't think it had pictures.
thegreenimp
I have Monopoly.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 23 2010, 06:12 PM) *

The last computer game I remember began You are standing in an open field

I don't think it had pictures.

The first one I had was like that, called "Hunt the Wumpus". I believe that was the first computer role playing game.
G&C
Dukedom.
All text no graphics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.