Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L'Enjôleuse vieillie en fût de chêne
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Heure Verte
Hello guys,

Some of you noticed the forthcoming release of my new L'Enjôleuse Vieillie en fût de chêne (in the "drinking topic"). This second production of L'Enjôleuse has been aged for one year in an oak barrel, and produced on a small scale (200 liters aprox) ; most of my products are ; I like working on small batches.
I was really curious to see the effect of the wood on a coloured absinthe produced with an old french recipe… and I'm not disapointed wink.gif
I waited for the absinthe to be ready for release : it's very woody but I guess it's not overpowering. The absinthe has not been filtered.
I hope you'll like it, some of you already tasted it. Feel free to ask for a sample if you stop by Vert d'Absinthe in Paris or if you order via Internet.

L'Enjôleuse Vieillie en fût de chêne will be avaiable mid november. Two sizes of bottles + a special offer in a box :

- The usual "Les Parisiennes" 70 cl clear bottle : 300 ex.

IPB Image

- A big old fashioned 150 cl bottle (I like it very much !) : 36 ex.

IPB Image

- A woodden box containing a 70 cl bottle, a 20 pages book written by myself about the woman who inspired L'Enjôleuse, a poster and a 3 cl sample of vintage absinthe : 24 ex.

Each bottle has been waxed and stamped by the Vert d'Absinthe crew.

Sorry for my bad english,it's not easy for me wink.gif

Luc
Grim
- A woodden box containing a 70 cl bottle, a 20 pages book written by myself about the woman who inspired L'Enjôleuse, a poster and a 3 cl sample of vintage absinthe : 24 ex.

I'm interested.

Great job, Luc!
Alan
Nice!

Surprised to see how dark it is after just one year. Claude-Alain has one that's approaching 4 years in barrel, it's less dark, and it's not yet for sale.

IPB Image

Are you keeping some back for another year or so?
Marc
I like the magnum.
EdouardPerneau
it's not that bad luc wink.gif
Jaded Prole
Beautiful presentation as well.

On the other hand, your new avatar looks disturbingly like TGO
Heure Verte
IPB Image

We have now some wooden box with special stuff inside (Pernod Fils Tarragona sample - 3 cl, booklet, poster, L'Enjôleuse 70 cl) wink.gif
We need special stuff with our beloved L'Enjôleuse vieillie en fût de chêne wink.gif
G&C
He's got wood…
Heure Verte
Oak…… wood…… :)
Aggelos
Seeing the boxes neatly aligned in the shop was quite impressive.

But seriously guys, your "Coquette" boxed set is a treat for the eyes :)
Provenance
In America, a wooden box is not an indication of quality absinthe.
Heure Verte
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 8 2010, 09:49 AM) *

Is "wooden box" an american expression telling that an absinthe is not good like "it's raining cats and dogs" for the rain ?
Jaded Prole
"Absente" comes in a wooden box with a cheap spoon.

Heure Verte
Ah, ok ! Absente has never been sold in a wooden box in France.
But I guess our box is better than theirs wink.gif
I waxed it myself, one by one, in order to be shiny wink.gif
G&C
Wax on…
Steve
I didn't understand that comment either. I've never noticed Absente in a wooden box, but I never pay attention to it when in a liquor store. I think it used to be in a cardboard box, but I have never bought any, even in the old days.

Your l'Enjoleuse box is beautiful, Luc!
Provenance
Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Epoque …When you buy six bottles (select "additional 5 bottles" under accessories), your purchase will arrive in a wooden case.
Artemis
QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Nov 9 2010, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 8 2010, 09:49 AM) *

Is "wooden box" an american expression telling that an absinthe is not good like "it's raining cats and dogs" for the rain ?

Les chiens, les chats, les maudite rat bois, when it's Louisiana rain.
Donnie Darko
If you put that absinthe in a diamond encrusted box stuffed with $100 bills people would still find something to bitch about.

I like the box. Whiskys come in all sorts of tins with interesting designs on them, makes you feel like you're getting something substantial. Absinthe is an expensive drink, so I don't mind feeling like I'm getting something fancy if I'm spending triple what a normal bottle of booze in a glass bottle with a screw top costs. Of course what's inside is what is most important, but if what's inside is great, then I'm not going to mind if it's dressed up pretty also. If you're buying a Benz, might as well go for the one with the chrome and the wood paneling in the interior, right?
Provenance
You're probably thinking about the new King of Spirits Diamond with 1000mg/L chop.gif.
G&C
That ought to make one trip balls…
Jaded Prole
I think the wooden box and the accompanying bottle of Tarragona make a very attractive package.
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Nov 10 2010, 07:40 AM) *

That ought to make one trip bills…

Fixed.
Kirk
Most of the diamonds in that skull are glued in, certainly a statement about an artist that is not even worth the material he burns up. Same thing about a pair of ruby slippers that showed up awhile back, slippers with rubies glued all over it, absolutely disgusting, and an offhand comment about art investors, to boot.
Donnie Darko
I was able to try this L'Enjoulouse fut du Chene recently and compare it to the 2008 L'Enjoulouse (thank you Luc!). The fut du Chene has quite a lovely nose neat, peachy with some wooden minty smells supporting it. The color neat is a bit saturated, perhaps overcolored, an olive/brown hue. Once you louche it, it looks the color of Yoda's skin from Empire Strikes Back, sort of a murky green/grey. The aroma is an interesting mix of wine alcohol and forest floor, not what you would call "bright", but definitely herbaceous. Upon tasting, it's got a lot of things going on. There's a distinct minty taste that combines with the anise in a way that reminds me of Eichelberger Verte, and what I presume to be the alcohol base combines with the anise in a fruity way that makes me think of Leopold's absinthe. It has a orange creamsicle note that perhaps is what makes me think of Leopold. The woodiness from oak aging is not overpowering, in fact I can't really taste anything I'd readily identify as Oak.

Those are the highlights of it for me. There are good tastes in it but they aren't quite "harmonious". I also, unfortunately, do not taste what I can identify as wormwood in the fut du Chene, though perhaps that is due to design and not due to a lack of wormwood. Anyone who is a fan of Devoille's absinthe styles will probably like this, and I think it's the most unique absinthe to have come from that distillery. Previous products from Devoille I've tried all had a smeared swampy profile going on that I couldn't get past, but this has some interesting layers overshadowing any swampy bits that kept me drinking it. The absinthes I like most I would describe as radiant, whereas this is a more introverted creation, but it still definitely has interesting and good things to say.

Interestingly enough, the regular L'enjoulouse appears browner to me. The aroma is less peachy, but not bad. It has the same fruitiness as the Fut du Chene but to a lesser extent. And in the regular L'Enjoulouse, I do taste the flavor that rings the wormwood bell. Unexpectedly, the flavors are also more harmonious than the Fut du Chene. Oak aging has clearly done some peculiar (some good, some odd) things to the Fut du Chene version. I also detect much less mintiness in the regular L'enjoulouse than the Fut du Chene when compared side by side. I think I like how the Fut du Chene smells better, especially neat, but like the regular Enjoulouse's flavor better. It has a really dynamic fennel husk chewiness to the aftertaste that's quite nice. It is less complex, but more harmonious than the fut du Chene, but I do quite like the Eichelberger-esque evergreen tree/mint aspect of the oak aged fut du Chene sample.

This has been an educating experiment, so thank you Luc!
Tibro
Interesting review, Donnie. Gives a pretty thorough picture of what your take on this one is. But then I usually find your reviews pretty vivid, even when I'm not in complete agreement. Good descriptive power.

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 19 2010, 01:14 AM) *

It has a orange creamsicle note that perhaps is what makes me think of Leopold. The woodiness from oak aging is not overpowering, in fact I can't really taste anything I'd readily identify as Oak.

For me an orange dreamsicle is elevated above standard orange popsicle fare by a decisive vanilla note. Did I say vanilla? Did you say oak? Maybe that's where the connection lies. Just a hypothesis.
Aggelos
I also, unfortunately, do not taste what I can identify as wormwood in the fut du Chene, though perhaps that is due to design and not due to a lack of wormwood.

I, on the other hand, was pleasantly surprised by a very good wormwood in my Enjoleuse, and I know I'm not the only one. Strange thing…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.