Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to give up booze
The Fe Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Provenance
and switch to smack.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210
G&C
What a Nutt.
Provenance
True. I would hate to imagine him influencing US alcohol policy.
Kirk
He's prolly not far off the mark, except for the cannabis, how does it harm others nearly as much as the user?
Tibro
Access is a big key to his findings. Alcohol is widely accessible because it's legal and it's use is socially acceptable. The repercussions to its abuse are going to reflect those greater numbers of users. But that doesn't reflect the whole story.

What his ratings and scales totally neglect to take into account is any kind of positive rating scale for the effects on the individual and society. Humans crave altered consciousness experiences, that is beyond dispute. That craving, as a generalized species-wide phenomenon has got to have an outlet. Humans ingest substances to alter their moods, their metabolisms, there tolerance for the crap side of being a social animal endowed with self-consciousness.

Some drugs are social drugs and actually help knit society together. I'd say alcohol is one of those drugs. Others are destructive to the social fabric and have little to no positive benefit for the function of the species as a whole. Take your guess at which those might be.

He's concentrated everything on the negative and none on the positive. If it were that simple recreational drug use wouldn't be as ubiquitous as it is. Give credit where credit's due. Responsible recreational use of some drugs can be a positive experience, both for the individual and for society.
sixela
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 1 2010, 04:26 PM) *

The modelling exercise concluded that heroin, crack and methylamphetamine, also known as crystal meth, were the most harmful drugs to individuals, but alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the most harmful to society.

Feeling altruistic today?
Provenance
Well, yes. Yes I am. Assuming that was a serious question and you weren't just trying to needle me.
Kirk
" To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine

And those who don' t and are always

Seen with a bottle of water in their hand.

As Ben Franklin said:

In wine there is wisdom,

In beer there is freedom,

In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,

Scientists have demonstrated that if we drink

1 litre of water each day,

At the end of the year we would have absorbed

More than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E.. Coli) – bacteria found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However,

We do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer

(or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor)

Because alcohol has to go through a purification process

Of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health .

Therefore, it' s better to drink wine and talk stupid,

Than to drink water and be full of sh*t. "
Patlow
abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.