Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paris Visit
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
burcak
Me and my wife will be in Paris next week! And having me responsible for the hotel arrangement, left no other possibility but the Royal Fromentin biggrin.gif

And of course, the first place to visit is Vert d’Absinthe to try some new absinthes!

My plan is simple.. to spend the evenings sipping my absinthe in a cafe-bistro (who cares about Louvre!! tongue.gif) I suppose one of the places to go is "La Fee Verte" for that. I've heard about Cantada but my dear cannot stand loud music and I'm no lover of Punk etc either.

Anyway that will be a complete absinthe-week! Can’t wait for that! Hope I'll convince my dear to bring home a "mini" fountain beside a couple of fine absinthes yes.gif

And hope I’ll have some nice photos to post here afterwards.
Any other suggestions that can add some more color to our journey will be appreciated..

Cheers guys!
Steve
Last time I was at Cantada II it was a quiet afternoon, no loud music, only a couple of other people in the bar. Of course, this was the complete opposite of the only other time I was there…
Aggelos
Cantada can be a quiet place, and they do have the best choice when it comes to absinthe.

Still… Not quite what I would call a "bistro" at all.

The only place in Paris which would be "bistro" style and have a good selection of absinthe would be la Fee Verte indeed.

If your week is absinthe themed, I strongly advise this program for an afternoon :
- Vert d'absinthe at the beginning of the afternoon
- then walk to bastille at about 3 pm, there is a ginormous antiques market (8€/person to enter, but I have an invite if you're here before wednesday evening) there presently (with the expensive but beautiful stand "Inestat" where you will see spoons fountains, etc)
- Then head to la Fee Verte which is near bastille

My "brocante" advices for this week end (that is : where a bargain is most likely on a treasure) :
- thursday, Porte de Montreuil. Be there at 9 am, at the latest (that would be the best one)
- saturday : Charletty stadium (and then take the tramway line to go to "Porte de Vanves" for the flea market)

Sorry I won't be there this week, somewhere to be in the far south of France. Otherwise, that would have been my pleasure to guide you.
Aggelos
Oh, and I was forgetting : musée de l'absinthe in Auvers is a place to see. Don't stop at the bar, there is only crap served to tourists.
G&C
…served to tourists

Isn't that what they will be?
Aggelos
ergo "don't stop at the bar"
G&C
So you meant uninformed tourists.

I understand.
Steve
As many times as I have been to Paris, I have never made the trek to Auvers. Some say it is not easy to get to because you have to change trains with a short connection, or take a train then a bus. But I would really love to go next time (maybe in June).
Aggelos
need company ? wink.gif
Steve
Yes, would be great if it works out!
burcak
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 7 2010, 07:42 PM) *

If your week is absinthe themed, I strongly advise this program for an afternoon :
- Vert d'absinthe at the beginning of the afternoon
- then walk to bastille at about 3 pm, there is a ginormous antiques market (8€/person to enter, but I have an invite if you're here before wednesday evening) there presently (with the expensive but beautiful stand "Inestat" where you will see spoons fountains, etc)
- Then head to la Fee Verte which is near bastille

This is a very well guidance, thanks! And seems like a good program indeed..
Although antique items are off limits for me right now (after paying for this holiday in advance wacko.gif) I'd love to visit this market, I'm quite into antiques. We will be in Paris by 16th, which wednesday are you talking about?

And as far as I understood absinthe is also served at Fromentin's:
"The Hotel Royal Fromentin has revived the myth of absinthe in a book written by Marie-Claude Delahaye, author of numerous works about absinthe and founder of the Musée de l'Absinthe in Auvers-sur-Oise. Let your imagination wander as you sip a glass of absinthe in the mythical bar of the former Don Juan Cabaret. Discover the authentic absinthe ritual in the very heart of this “quartier” of Paris, just as Van Gogh, Toulouse Lautrec, Baudelaire and so many others did before you."
Don't know if there is any good brands there, but if there is that will be a bonus! abs-cheers.gif
Aggelos
Oh, you mean the week after next week ? Then, except for the museum at Auvers, everything's off. But I will be in Paris
burcak
QUOTE(Aggelos @ Nov 8 2010, 11:48 PM) *

Oh, you mean the week after next week ? Then, except for the museum at Auvers, everything's off. But I will be in Paris

Everything's off?? shock.gif What kind of off? Why?
Steve
He means that he was looking at the brocantes schedule for next week, not the week you will be there.
Aggelos
Exactly, good sir, thank you :)

Sadly, the week after is a bit uneventful in terms of brocantes…
Well, there is still St Ouen and Vanves, at least
burcak
Hi there! Back from Paris and reporting…

To start with; although the staff were helpful and the rooms were "decent", the Hotel Royal Fromentin was an absintheur's heartbreak. There was only a cheap fountain sitting in the middle of loby, some antique spoons and fountains behind the bar and a bottle of absinthe-like 45% something, I think it was a Versinthe. Never tried it. (Oh, by the way it was a little shock when we saw the hotel is in the middle of a sex district biggrin.gif But there was nothing disturbing about that really)

IPB Image

Anyway, went to La Fee Verte instead, for the absinthe and had a Mansinthe and Verte de Feugerolles. That was quite interesting for me to find out the first absinthe I did not like at all with the Feugerolles.. And I don't know if it was a mistake of the bartender but the Libertine I have tried a couple of days later also had the exact unpleasent taste/aroma too! Is this true in fact???

IPB Image

Well, the atmosphere of this Cafe is nothing special, and although the absinthe selection is fine in quality, it lacks the quantity. After my second visit I really asked myself why I bothered to spend one more night there, actually sipping absinthe at home with a good movie is far more enjoyable.

However what was the most pleasant absinthe experince for me was the Vert D'Absinthe! They are great people to chat with and learn from. Greetings to Sebastien and Luc wink.gif I have tried several absinthes and bought the Duplais Verte and La Coquette, as well as a fountain (which I think I'll display in the middle of the saloon till the limit of my wife's patience biggrin.gif) It's a real fun to use this thing :)

What I regret the most is that I went to La Fee Verte the second time to have an average meal ending up with an half glass of "don't know really what" Libertine de Feugerolles?!, instead of a second time of this; Relais De La'Entrecote! If you've been to Paris amd never ate there you're missing a lot!! At the very least the color and louche of the sauce gets a good 9/10 if you ask me tongue.gif

IPB Image
Donnie Darko
Sounds like a fun trip. Libertine absinthe is yucky and I'm no fan of VDF either. Paris seems to know no more about Absinthe, with the exception of Cantada and Luc's shop, than NYC, which is sad. But then again, the food in Paris is so wonderful that you'll be too busy enjoying that to worry about Absinthe. I've determined that Absinthe is either something you drink at home and make exactly the way you like it, or else it can be something used in a cocktail if it's mixed by a really good bartender (I've thus far only encountered 3 bartenders in all of NYC that impressed me with a good absinthe cocktail). It's a waste of money and happiness to order a regular absinthe at any bar I've been to though. If they prepare it for you they'll fuck it up 100% of the time. If they let you prepare it yourself, it's still going to cost more than most top-shelf booze so why bother? You already dropped a lot of money to get a good bottle at home, so why spend $15 a glass? Buying absinthe at a bar would be like paying $75 for a bottle of absinthe that was only 150ml.

Gone are the days of the green hour, when one could walk into their café of choice and get an affordable glass of absinthe and make it correctly. I think we're all nostalgic for a time and place that we never knew and no longer exists.
sixela
QUOTE(burcak @ Dec 4 2010, 12:47 AM) *

Anyway, went to La Fee Verte instead, for the absinthe and had a Mansinthe and Verte de Feugerolles. That was quite interesting for me to find out the first absinthe I did not like at all with the Feugerolles.. And I don't know if it was a mistake of the bartender but the Libertine I have tried a couple of days later also had the exact unpleasent taste/aroma too! Is this true in fact???

Tea like (i.e. Veronica)?

Relais De La'Entrecote!

Next time something even more unhealthy, try to find a restaurant that specializes in marrow bone…

Heure Verte
About La Fée Verte Cafe : We went there to explain to the waiters how (and why) serving absinthe with ice cold water, no fire, slowly, etc. The problem is : the waiters and tresses are coming and going, never stay long. So I guess we will have to do that often.
Other problem : the bottles are corked with very old measuring object… So old that the bottles are not really closed. We tasted a Coquette of their own, opened for some days and we did not recognize our beloved girl !
We are working to make things better : they have now Frenchman Pontarlier glasses in order to stop using their old measuring crappy objects.
It can explains why Burcak felt this way, drinking his glasses.
There is so much work to do among cafes in Paris about absinthe ! But I guess the best way would be to open our own place with only the best parapharnelia, absinthes and services wink.gif
burcak
QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 10:11 PM) *

About La Fée Verte Cafe : We went there to explain to the waiters how (and why) serving absinthe with ice cold water, no fire, slowly, etc. The problem is : the waiters and tresses are coming and going, never stay long. So I guess we will have to do that often.

Hi Luc! Yes, and I guess in most places the weekdays and weekend staff are different. On my second visit there was NO staff from my first visit except the bartender.

QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 10:11 PM) *

Other problem : the bottles are corked with very old measuring object… So old that the bottles are not really closed. We tasted a Coquette of their own, opened for some days and we did not recognize our beloved girl !
We are working to make things better : they have now Frenchman Pontarlier glasses in order to stop using their old measuring crappy objects.
It can explains why Burcak felt this way, drinking his glasses.

I don't think the "unpleasantness" of VDF comes from the glasses or gizmos! I tend to believe it was there for good wacko.gif
What supports is that, after I opened the Duplais at home, I catched a hint of the same odor in that too!!! (I haven't noticed it while tasting at your shop, but then I haven't met VDF either! biggrin.gif) However it dissapears while tasting, leaving the fantastic absinthe I remember! Exactly same comments are present in a review too, so I think this flavour is a trademark.
Also nothing wrong with the Mansinthe and Perroquet; they were really nice..
However Pontarlier glasses did not seem to work very well with the dosing; (I've got one on my second visit) they only fill half of the reservoir.. I guess I should have ordered a double!? tongue.gif

By the way, after seeing Duplais louche at home I have understood why points are given to color/louche in the reviews; it looks adorable!

Finally as for the Coquette; I still haven't opened it yet. The bottle SOOO beautiful, I cannot dare to take its virginity! wub.gif well.. yet..
But of course I will come to the point where I cannot resist any longer dev.gif
Patlow
Emoticon madness!
Provenance
I would ban the damn illiterate things except for birthday cakes and thujone-soaked pork chops.
Absinthia
QUOTE(Heure Verte @ Dec 4 2010, 09:11 PM) *
There is so much work to do among cafes in Paris about absinthe ! But I guess the best way would be to open our own place with only the best parapharnelia, absinthes and services wink.gif

There is not a lot work to be done in Paris alone my friend, all over the world bars that serve absinthe mostly serve it incorrectly. Trying to convince them to change all that is almost like trying to convince them to stop selling J&B for real whiskey… But if you ever want to open up your own place, please put me on the guest list :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.