Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-ban Absinthe Cusenier Oxygenee in samples
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Oxygenee
If you're interested, get on to my mailing list before Wednesday….
Provenance
It might be interesting to see how that compares with the last sample of pre-ban Oxygenee absinthe I tried.
eric
Yes it would.

Jaded Prole
Indeed™
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 8 2010, 08:46 PM) *

It might be interesting to see how that compares with the last sample of pre-ban Oxygenee absinthe I tried.

Would be interested to see a picture of the bottle the sample came from, if you still have it.
Tibro
It would be interesting only if it compared favorably.
Provenance
The sample was courtesy of Oscar and HK.

Does the bottle you opened have that old leather/camphor thing going on?
Jaded Prole
As I recall, Oscar's sample bottle was a miniature in good condition. I was there when it was first opened and yes, it was camphory. It was the same a year and a half or so later a the louchfest.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 8 2010, 11:31 AM) *

If you're interested, get on to my mailing list before Wednesday….

You have to have a photo made of you doing the Oxygenee poster with a glass of that.
Kirk
It tasted slightly medicinal, and I felt better after drinking it.
Donnie Darko
I feel better after drinking just about anything. I can't afford the pre-ban Cusenier, but I'm excited to learn more about it.
Provenance
Afford it? At LFX it was free.
G&C
That it was.
Tibro
A very fair price.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Provenance @ Nov 9 2010, 06:47 PM) *

Afford it? At LFX it was free.

Yeah, well it won't be free from me.
G&C
Who would have thunk?
Oxygenee
Came out of left field for you, did it G&C?

harhar.gif
G&C
I know left field.
I'm always ready to make that play when the game brings it my way.
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 9 2010, 08:22 AM) *
Yeah, well it won't be free from me.

I do believe that Oxy sounds offended by the notion of preban being given away.
Patlow
I've seen him pour it!
Marc
Yup, Steve and I can't disagree. Oxy is a generous host.

IPB Image

Kirk
To be fair, Oxy's apparent immersion in the history and culture at hand is a gift to us, you might say that some people glean facts for personal pleasure, whether or not that is true of David, he has shared with us more than I could have obtained by myself, so the details of why are moot. Not to mention the number of free samples of rare booze he has sent out, and, in his own words, : (to)"people I feel would not get a chance to try it otherwise". While that left me out of his free pre ban mailing list, it has allowed friends of mine to drink something that they would only have been able to dream about otherwise.
Also, when I first contacted him, he sent me a gift of an antique toppet, I had never seen one before and it's still my favorite absinthe related piece, mainly because it was a gift, from David.
Thanks David, for sharing your passion in the midst of so many that are mute about what they know.
Donnie Darko
His personal and persistent intervention saved my wife a few hundred dollars from a vendor peddling a phony absinthe fountain. Rushing to the rescue of a damsel in distress is normally an activity reserved for comic book characters…. come to think of it have you ever seen Oxy and Clark Kent in the same place at the same time?

He's pretty much the Indiana Jones of Absinthe, except that he sells the artifacts instead of putting them into museums. I like that approach better, as museums don't let you taste their exhibits.
thegreenimp
Click to view attachment
G&C
taste their exhibits.

That depends on what's being exhibited.
Jaded Prole
Along with what others have said, Oxy has class.
Steve
QUOTE(Marc @ Nov 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *
Yup, Steve and I can't disagree. Oxy is a generous host.

IPB Image

Yes indeed! One of the most generous people I have ever met!
Tibro
I once spied him through the crowds of small village fair and said to myself, "My, he looks like a generously proportioned fellow."

Hmm, I first typed "propotioned". Maybe an apt typo?
G&C
As long as you have some antipotion to go with it.
Tibro
At least it didn't come out "proelixered".
Deluge
I can't wait to try this absinthe!
sixela

Never mind, that picture with 200ml of preban makes the point better than I can.
Deluge
Hmmm… I have just received the "sample" of "Cusenier Oxygenee" and although I am at work I decided to open the bottle to smell the contents and have a strange feeling about them… More later.

Did anyone else get a sample? P.M. me if you did. Thanks!
Oxygenee
Tasted this again last night with Marc and Antoine in Pontarlier - the Cusenier is a robust, full bodied absinthe, rich and with a tonic-like character - rather as you might expect it to be based on their "C'est ma sante" marketing.

We also tasted the Comoz Absinthe des Alpes, which is, imho, quite stunning, very powerful wormwood and a wonderful herbal quality, a highly distinctive vintage absinthe.
Donnie Darko
I bet it tastes just like the Boggy Cusenier.
Provenance
Oxy should post a rank ordering of his favorite prebans absinthes.
Steve
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 17 2010, 08:12 AM) *
as you might expect it to be based on their "C'est ma sante" marketing.

Tell the truth, though, that WAS you in that poster, right?
Tibro
Can somebody elucidate what "tonic-like" means in terms of taste? It could refer to any number of different profiles but without a better grounding or reference it's difficult to imagine in which way it's meant.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 17 2010, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 17 2010, 08:12 AM) *
as you might expect it to be based on their "C'est ma sante" marketing.

Tell the truth, though, that WAS you in that poster, right?

Photos dammit!
G&C
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 17 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Can somebody elucidate what "tonic-like" means in terms of taste? It could refer to any number of different profiles but without a better grounding or reference it's difficult to imagine in which way it's meant.

I'll take Medicinal for $100 Alex.
frenchman
QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 9 2010, 07:48 AM) *

Hmmm… I have just received the "sample" of "Cusenier Oxygenee" and although I am at work I decided to open the bottle to smell the contents and have a strange feeling about them… More later.

Did anyone else get a sample? P.M. me if you did. Thanks!

Do you have a small "fish" smell at first time ?
Donnie Darko
I'm finding it very interesting that they pumped Ozone (O3) into their absinthe. Ozone does crazy things to molecules that have carbons with double-bonds (Anethole, Limonene, Fenchone, etcetera). The problem is to effectively carry out what is called "Ozonolysis", you need to carry it out at -78ºC, and I'm sure they didn't do that. However, Ozone can still carry out oxidative radical reactions at room temp/atmospheric pressure and could screw up a lot of the molecules in absinthe and create all sorts of unpredictable by-products. If there was ever an absinthe worth trying some GC/MS or NMR on, this would probably look very interesting. While I have not tasted this Absinthe, I'm pretty certain that what they did to the absinthe would not replicate normal aging, nor would it age like a normal absinthe would with 100 years under its belt, and I'm not surprised that people would report unusual tastes and smells.
EdouardPerneau
seconded fish do not sound appeling
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.