Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pop quiz: George Bush and Verlaine
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Pages: 1, 2
Oxygenee
What explains A LOT about both Dubbya and Verlaine…..?

Answers on a postcard, please.
Tibro
???

Paul Verlaine: "Take eloquence and wring its neck."

Dubbya: "In my sentences I go where no man has gone before…I am a boon to the English language."
Oxygenee
Nope, not even close…
thegreenimp
They both provoke long responses that are torturous to read, and they both hate Belgians.
Oxygenee
Nope.

And everyone hates Belgians.
thegreenimp
A day without hating Belgians, is like a day without sunshine.
Oxygenee
How true. It's really just part of being human, isn't it?
thegreenimp
Almost as much as sodomy, getting likkered up, and shooting someone in the hand.

Preferably a Belgian.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 10 2010, 04:58 AM) *

What explains A LOT about both Dubbya and Verlaine…..?

Answers on a postcard, please.

Substance abuse?
Steve
Both of their mothers showed them their miscarried fetuses in a jar. When I read that about Bush, all I could say was, "Ewwwwwwww!"
Oxygenee
Bingo!
Tibro
Huh? Are you telling me that this isn't common practice?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 10 2010, 08:12 AM) *

Both of their mothers showed them their miscarried fetuses in a jar. When I read that about Bush, all I could say was, "Ewwwwwwww!"

Ok, that, and substance abuse.

Barbara Bush obviously did that to make him anti-abortion, failing to mention that the huge numbers of miscarriages make god the world's most prolific abortionist.
Kirk
My grandma showed me her gall bladder in a jar, I was 6, it was dried up, about the size of a walnut. I was a vegetarian for a year after that.
Tibro
Or at least what she said is that it was her gallbladder.
thegreenimp
I had my removed tonsils in a jar, it was one of the perks of having a Mom that was an R.N.
That and the Paregoric that always appeared magically in the medicine cabinet.

I took the tonsils to school in the 1st grade for show and tell……..It was great.
Provenance
And now you collect dusty bottles of Paregoric.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 10 2010, 05:46 AM) *

My grandma showed me her gall bladder in a jar, I was 6, it was dried up, about the size of a walnut. I was a vegetarian for a year after that.

...because normally you ate gall bladders...?? blink.gif
speedle
With a good Chianti perhaps.
Donnie Darko
And fava beans.
Tibro
Not quite but close enough to make me remember and hope that Gimpy's out there somewhere taking care of what needs taking care of.
Artemis
QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 10 2010, 01:46 PM) *

People keep things.

It's rare that I run across something about which I have never heard a word in my life, especially something so everyday to some folk (at least it was, during days mostly bygone) but totally new and semi-disturbing to me. A while back, I found this:

http://www.carrollscorner.net/FeatherDeathCrowns.htm
Tibro
Thanks for sharing that, Artemis. Strange and beautiful.
R3al Caravano
I kept an athletic sock from my early teens. I'm not sure about the beauty part, but the subtle brown spots abound with the crust of of many dead soldiers of the past.
Grim
QUOTE(Artemis @ Nov 16 2010, 12:03 PM) *
It's rare that I run across something about which I have never heard a word in my life, especially something so everyday to some folk (at least it was, during days mostly bygone) but totally new and semi-disturbing to me. A while back, I found this:

http://www.carrollscorner.net/FeatherDeathCrowns.htm

I'm glad I followed that link… I've never heard of that until now. I'm surprised I've never heard of that until now.
Donnie Darko
That's an interesting phenomena, though maybe not unusual. I'd be interested to see the contents of lots of feather pillows belonging to people who aren't dead. People fluff those things for a reason, it's because the feathers tend to get mashed together, so finding mashed together feathers in a feather pillow seems to be likely to occur, dead or not. Besides, with the amount I slobber on my pillow when I sleep, I'm surprised it hasn't metamorphosed into a new undiscovered species. A crown of feathers is just the embryo stage.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(R3al Caravano @ Nov 16 2010, 09:17 PM) *

I kept an athletic sock from my early teens. I'm not sure about the beauty part, but the subtle brown spots abound with the crust of of many dead soldiers of the past.

You kept that? What's wrong with you?
G&C
Sentimental.
Donnie Darko
Sementimental is more like it.

Yuck.
Kirk
Strange, to be sure and, I too have never heard anything like it.
Tibro
Kirk, you're a monster. A true master. Wry the way it was meant to be.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 18 2010, 03:38 PM) *
with the amount I slobber on my pillow

Thanks for sharing that bit of trivia.
Kirk
QUOTE(Tibro @ Nov 19 2010, 02:11 AM) *

Kirk, you're a monster. A true master. Wry the way it was meant to be.

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, but it confirms what I've come to believe;
If a band aid hides what is already dead, then the things people say, hide what has already been said.
I can't bring myself to bring another thing into being
words, things, deeds.
When I was a young man, people said; you should have kids
I never agreed, and
I was right, there are plenty of them
so there was a time when I thought I had something to say, or needed to do, that too has gone by the way.
I had a flag, I wanted to plant it on the peak, turns out,it was the point on my head,
then I thought I might level the playing field, but I was the bump, so I'm flattening me, instead.
The stain grows, silence bequeaths the blade rust, blood red.
Kirk
As for feather crowns, no cloud ever made a random move, that man could not divine some sooth and
The only regret I have in not believing, is the ammunition I need to explain what I have seen.
Tibro
"…bequeaths… …sooth…"

Don't go gettin' all medieval on my ass, now. Once is enough.

You fuckin' monster.

A little ambiguity goes a long way. While hittin' it over the head just sends it sailing out the window into the grass.
Kirk
The tears I shed, come from nowhere, and the things I have learned, lead me there.
Kirk
Let's all hope the loop doesn't end here, face it, we dropped the ball.
Tibro
Rewind:

QUOTE(Kirk @ Nov 21 2010, 12:17 AM) *

the things people say, hide what has already been said.

Kirk
And yet, you encourage it?
Kirk
Drag it from the mold old man, or is it moulde,
I'm too weary to discern.
Tibro
Encourage. Discourage.

It's your courage I find delight in.
Kirk
A quick tickle for you, assuming I have that left, what, exactly, for you, would it be?
Tibro
Pantagruel, that great King of the Dipsodes, even he against gargalesis guarded. I won't take you for a featherweight.
Jaded Prole
but I was the bump, so I'm flattening me, instead.
The stain grows, silence bequeaths the blade rust, blood red.

Relatively speaking, the bump that is you seems a high peak from here --
you're a true renaissance man, an artist and a damn fine poet.

Donnie Darko
Fitting. Thread title started with politics (Bush) and ended with poetry (Verlaine), so Kirk is right the fuck on topic.
Donnie Darko
Does anybody else find this latest exchange of shots between North Korea and South Korea a bit frightening? The statement from DPRK sounds like it was written by Lex Luthor or Dr. Evil.

Jaded Prole
It's been going on for years but North Korea is frightening anyway. A Jonestown country in desperate straights with megatons of chemical weapons and nukes.

Then again, the entire world is a dangerous stockpile with insane egotistical apes running the show. A good reason to enjoy every moment as if it were the last. Eat drink and be merry. All is delusion and nothing really matters.
speedle
I really hate to say this, and maybe it's because 8 years of hearing Bush rant has changed my "baseline" on this, but isn't it possible someone in DC is thinking that now is the time to attack the North because they've been weakened by famine etc., and that the North has been fed bad intel so they've started this sabre rattling thing by being manipulated by our neocons?

I sound crazy even typing that.
Tibro
As long as N.Korea shares a border with China and as long as China holds all of the US debt that it does any interventions with N.Korea go through China. I just don't see China wanting to finance US aggressions right on its border. Unless they have ulterior motives for doing so.
Jaded Prole
True, and the reason N. Korea has all those weapons is firstly to make attacking them too dangerous (which it is) and secondly, to use as bargaining chips to get stuff it needs. Sooner or later if left alone, I think its government will collapse or they'll have a coup or internal revolution that initiates positive change -- mostly because they have nowhere else to go and they're starving, poor, isolated and very unhappy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.