Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burn baby burn
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe in the News & in the Media
Donnie Darko
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/dining/0…ml?pagewanted=1

I just adore this quote:
"He explained that he first began playing with fire for technical reasons, as when making drinks with absinthe where “it was a ritual to flame it off, to make it drinkable — since it’s 40 or 50 proof.”
no-czechs3.gif

I can't believe this guy is regarded as an authority on all things alcohol. You don't make any alcoholic beverage "drinkable" by burning off the ethanol that carries most of the flavor, you ruin it. Stupid. And 40 or 50 proof? Maybe torching it reduces it to 25% alcohol, but unless the journalist misquoted him, the fact that this guy doesn't know the difference between proof and percent makes him about as much of an authority on the drink as Kyle Bairnsfather.
Tibro
He sounds like he's all about presentation at the expense of content. A little razzle-dazzle and lots of folks will swallow anything.

Pulqueria sounds like it could be interesting.
Artemis
A pulqueria is a place where pulque is consumed. I don't do links where signing in is required to read, so I assume the article was misleading in that respect as well.
Tibro
No signing in necessary. In any case, it was only an aside near the end of the article. And not the pyro's venture but his former partners'.

The Tierneys are moving on as well. The brother and sister team is imminently opening Pulqueria, an Old World, 70-seat restaurant next to Apothéke that is an homage to the working-class taverns in Mexico City.

I assume "homage" to mean that it's not a literal pulqueria that they're going to open in NYC but an upscale transmutation of the idea. I just thought it was about the only intriguing bit of info in the article. I'd be curious to see what it turns out to be.
Artemis
Not an (sic) NYTimes.com member yet?
Enjoy Free Access
Just answer a few simple questions, select an ID and password and you'll be all set.

That's what I get from the link. I don't like simple questions, so ...

I assume an upscale pulqueria comes without flies, banditos and putas, and probably without pulque, so I'm satisfied.
Tibro
I figured if they'd let me in unquestioned they'd let anyone in. Guess I'm just less of a threat.
Artemis
They probably know I'm no liberal.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 1 2010, 03:52 PM) *
I assume an upscale pulqueria comes without flies, banditos and putas, and probably without pulque, so I'm satisfied.

Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, after all the good stuff has been taken out.
Tibro
There are equivalents, if not authentic facsimiles, in NYC.

Not something one could successfully back-engineer though.
Tibro
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 1 2010, 11:07 PM) *

They probably know I'm no liberal.

Gotta love the thoroughness of their fact-checkers.
Bruno Rygseck
That absinthe fountain does not seem to be filled with water, either.
Donnie Darko
It's filled with stupid, just like the bartender's head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.