Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RueVerte
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide > The Fee Verte Absinthe Vendors Guide
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
OCvertDe
Those of you East Coast USA who've ordered from here, how long does it typically take? I placed an order a full two weeks ago. DHL tracking has shown "The shipment is being transported to the destination country" since December 1. I usually shop at LdF, many orders over the years, and have never had an order take more than five business days to get here, sometimes less- even at this time of year. I'm just beginning to wonder if this is normal for RueVerte.
G&C
Perhaps you should contact RueVerte about where your order is rather than asking a forum of drunks how long it takes.

Just a thought.
thegreenimp
Buy domestic hooch.
G&C
Or that.
OCvertDe
Been there, done that. It's good. There are other good things out there. I want them too.
Steve
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Dec 13 2010, 05:00 PM) *
Buy domestic hooch.

I would, but there's still generally better stuff available from Europe, actually cheaper and with free shipping (with minimum purchase) from all the major vendors.

OCvertDe: just email Antoine and ask!

Tibro
QUOTE(G&C @ Dec 14 2010, 01:35 AM) *

Perhaps you should contact RueVerte

This place doesn't have call forwarding?
Kirk
There is not an absinthe on the market that is better than what is produced in New York at Delaware Phoenix.
I've never had a European absinthe that even comes close.
Marc
Corrected to avoid any confusion. This is your own perception Kirk, not everyone's perception, though the Delaware products are very nice, I like them, very refined feminine absinthes, I don't know of anyone who dislike them.

QUOTE(Kirk @ Dec 14 2010, 03:59 PM) *

My own person thinks that there is not an absinthe on the market that is better than what is produced in New York at Delaware Phoenix.
I've personally never had a European absinthe that even comes close.

Provenance
RV may have forgotten about your order since they're real busy trippin' balz on that hi-thoughjone absinth they sell.
http://www.rueverte.com/product_info.php?products_id=369
Marc
I can assure you that Antoine does not not hype the thuyone bullshit, he always promotes, publicly and personally, well crafted absinthes.

Look at his 2010 selection, any crap here?
http://www.rueverte.com/selections.php?sid=43

Same here: http://www.rueverte.com/bar_de_reve.php

Ok he also sells xitsinths, but he's running a business. go to any wine shop, even the top ones, and you'll find xitwines too.
Provenance
I would never intend to imply that someone is hyping chop.gif just because they advertise that an absinthe is "characterized by a bitter taste and a level in chop.gif that is as high as it is authorised." I realize that's just making a factual statement.

And I would never insinuate that just because the description of one 'sinth lets people know that "Another 'bitter' version is available. Its alcohol level is lower (60°) but its chop.gif level reaches 35 mg/l. (maximum level authorised)" doesn't mean to imply that chop.gif is relevant.

And, of course, when absinthe pipes (!?!) are described as bringing "freshness and strong sensations !" that only refers to alcohol.

I do apologize for any misunderstandings.
Tibro
QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 14 2010, 05:16 PM) *

Look at his 2010 selection, any crap here?

Same here:

Crap? No.

Utter fucking bullshit nonsense? Yes!

On both lists.
Marc
I don't think you've tasted the new Oliva Tibro, the one made by Jacob, not by the previous maker.
Marc
Pro', you're right on that one, thanks for sending me the matching link.
I think it's an old description from the early RV days, Antoine will probably change it after reading that topic.
Steve
A lot of the "crap" and the overblown thujone descriptions are carried over from the previous owner of the business*. And if it sells, I can't fault Antoine for not wanting to eliminate it. Personally I'm happy that there is a place I can go to buy Serpis or Deva if I feel like it one of these days!

Delaware Phoenix absinthes are very good, I love both of them. And Leopold's is very nice too. But I don't want to drink only those 2 or 3, I need some variety. I want Sapphire, Berthe de Joux, Jades, Maison Fontaine etc., and hopefully soon the new St. Antoine and la Grenouille. That's a superb selection in my book.

*Edit: I wrote this before I read Marc making the same point. And Antoine and Colas have made a lot of really positive changes to the site already.
Donnie Darko
Remember 10 years ago when there were no drinkable absinthes on the market, except for Segarra, which has 2 ingredients and is accidentally colored by barrels, and a couple of Butty's outrageously priced clandestine La Bleues?

Now we're arguing whether excellent legal US absinthes are better than excellent European Absinthes, several of which I can walk down to the store and buy.

These are good times.
Tibro
QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 14 2010, 06:08 PM) *

I don't think you've tasted the new Oliva Tibro, the one made by Jacob, not by the previous maker.

I think I have. Same bottle, same labeling, same product. And what's more it tasted just like it was made using this ridiculous protocol touted on the Rue Verte site:

It takes over six months to complete one batch of Oliva absinthe. Here is an outline of the process:

1. Maceration (8 days)
2. Distillation (24 hours)
3. Coloration (12 hours)
4. Infusion (12 hours)
5. Ageing (6 months)

Tasting is all you can do, it's undrinkable.
Patlow
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 14 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Personally I'm happy that there is a place I can go to buy Serpis…if I feel like it one of these days!

Indeed!
Marc
We did a tasting session with some well known people and we liked it.

My review back in May:

Couleur : jaune-vert

Nez : anis, vanille, pontica

Trouble : rapide et épais, à la Suisse

Goût : anis (vert et étoilé) un peu vifs et piquants, vient ensuite la grande absinthe (un peu amère), et enfin un bouquet floral et herbacé indiquant une coloration naturelle à la petite absinthe et à l'hysope.

Bouche : ronde et fraîche à la fois, dommage que l'anis soit plus piquant sur la langue que fruité au palais. Note finale un peu amère, à se demander si de la grande absinthe n'a pas été utilisée en coloration (?)

Conclusion : malgré ses petits défauts (anis et amertume) j'aime bien cette absinthe pour 2 raisons :
1 - venant de ce pays à la réputation sulfureuse, c'est un réel effort que d'avoir produit une absinthe 100% naturelle et très buvable.
2 - la note vanillée en attaque nasale et le bouquet de plantes mi-herbacées mi-florales en bouche rendent cette absinthe attachante, elle sort un peu de l'ordinaire et j'avais envie de cette petite pointe de nouveauté.
Tibro
I wouldn't have quite made the same tasting notes as that, but then I don't know French.

QUOTE(Marc @ Dec 14 2010, 08:38 PM) *

Note finale un peu amère, à se demander si de la grande absinthe n'a pas été utilisée en coloration (?)

I do know the taste of A.a. when used in a finishing step. No question about it.
Steve
I am no fan of A.a. used in coloration either.
Marc
Fuck, I took the time to translate my review in English, it took me an hour and look what I've posted! blink.gif
Artemis
Color: yellow-green

Nose: anise, vanilla, pontica

Louche: quick and thick, Suisse style

Taste: anise (green and star) a bit lively and piquant, following with grand wormwood (a bit bitter), and finally a flowery and herbaceous bouquet indicating natural coloration with petite wormwood and hyssop.

Mouth: round and fresh at the same time, a shame that the anise is pricklier on the tongue than fruity on the palate. A slightly bitter final note, (causing one to) wonder if some grand absinthe was not used in coloring.

Conclusion: in spite of its slight defects (anise and bitterness) I well like this absinthe for two reasons:
1 - Coming from a country with an inflammatory reputation, it is a real effort that to have produced an absinthe 100 % natural and very drinkable.
2 - the vanilla note in the nose and the bouquet of floral and herbaceous plants in the mouth render this absinthe engaging, it is a bit out of the commonplace and I appreciate this small point of novelty.

Marc
Merci beaucoup Artemis biggrin.gif
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 14 2010, 12:11 AM) *
OCvertDe: just email Antoine and ask!
I suppose I could, but I know it shipped. The tracking followed it across Europe nicely, then it was loaded onto what appears to be a row boat, which is allegedly still out there paddling to the US. My LdF tracking always behaves this way too, once it leaves the UK it isn't updated until it's literally delivered, but as I said, it usually doesn't take half this long. I've tried putting my tracking # in on the US site for DHL, but nothing comes up, which I think happens with LdF as well. I think DHL may be who I need to contact, but I'm still assuming they're just swamped for the season. DHL did some serious downsizing and laying off in the 'States last year.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 14 2010, 09:56 AM) *

… and a couple of Butty's outrageously priced clandestine La Bleues?

I can think of at least one other dealer, at that time, whose la bleues were of a higher proof, and tastier, but there's no question that there's been an astounding proliferation of fine absinthe over the past decade.
Oxygenee
I don't often address purely commercial questions regarding Oxygenee companies on the forum here, but perhaps this time since this thread is expressly about RueVerte, I should give a little background:

RueVerte is unashamedly a broad range absinthe supermarket, and just like a supermarket, it sells products in many different categories and price ranges. There are customers, particularly in Germany, who prefer an anise free product, and RueVerte sells these, but the entire thrust of the site is to educate the consumer, and steer them in the direction of the best traditional style absinthes. Our aim - rapidly being achieved - is to be Europe's #1 absinthe vendor, and this isn't achievable by stocking only a limited range of absinthes of unimpeachable ideological purity - one needs to cater for the whole market. Only with the economies of scale generated by a broad product range and high turnover, can we offer the best absinthes at the very best prices.

A particular aim is to try and draw the more enlightened Eastern European producers firmly into the absinthe mainstream, this is the thinking behind our deal with Olivia. There will be other developments around this idea in the new year.

The people behind RueVerte - Antoine, Colas, Marc and myself - are passionate about high quality artisanal absinthes. Antoine, who's in charge of the day-to-day operation of the business at our warehouse in Freiburg, is a remarkable and gifted young man with a heartfelt and uncynical approach to customer satisfaction, something that manifests itself in RueVerte's very high percentage of repeat-order customers. More than 92% of RueVerte orders are shipped within 12 hours of the order being received. If you have any queries at all about anything on the RueVerte site, just email Antoine and you'll get a very quick reply in English, en francais or auf Deutsch, as you prefer.

Lastly, to end with a teaser: in 2011 RueVerte will introduce an entitrely new absinthe, traditionally distilled from whole herbs, at a price-point previously only achieved by oil mixes.

**** Infomercial ends here ****
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 02:28 AM) *

I don't often address purely commercial questions regarding Oxygenee companies on the forum here, but perhaps this time since this thread is expressly about RueVerte, I should give a little background:

I've come to realize that Kyle is right, filteration is the best. It makes no more sense to distill absinthe then it does for a doctor to use leeches. I have found, however, that a few leeches added to the macerate does add a certain piquancy to the final product (you were wondering how I improved the new Roquette) although adding a few leeches to an absinthe forum may have a rather different effect. I am proud to $ell Kyle'$ fine products. They have helped me find a new Reality, a rather profitable one at that. As for Marc, well, there's a reason why his face is covered in his new avatar.

RueVerte is unashamedly a broad range absinthe supermarket, and just like a supermarket, it sells products in many different categories and price ranges. There are customers, particularly in the land of David Hasselhoff, who can't stand anise and, realizing that the customer is always right as long as their credit is good, RueVerte sells these, but the entire thrust of the site is to educate the consumer buy depleting their wallet and steer them in the direction of the best, most profitable products. Our aim - rapidly being achieved - is to be Europe's #1 absinthe vendor, and this isn't achievable by stocking only a limited range of absinthes of unimpeachable ideological purity [a term no one else has had the balz to apply to absinthe] - one needs to cater to the fool market. Only with the economies of scale generated by a broad product range and high turnover, can we offer the best absinthes (I giggled when I wrote that one) at the very best (for us) prices.

A particular aim is to try and draw the more enlightened producers firmly into the absinthe proft$tream, this is the thinking behind our deal with anyone we can. There will be other developments around this idea in the new year.

Lastly, to end with a bit of insider knowledge I've gained as the world's foremost expert on preban absinthe: Hapsburg Yellow really rocks.

Tibro
Oxy, clearly you can run your business(es) however you so choose. Fine by me if you want to do it this way or that. It doesn't matter.

Just one question though, have you tasted the Olivia(sic)? My perspective is that it's worse than crap, but that may just be my perspective. I found that once the A.a. hit my tongue that there was nothing else left to taste except that acrid bitterness. I just can't agree with it being one of the highlights of the year.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Provenance @ Dec 15 2010, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 02:28 AM) *

I've come to realize that Kyle is right, filteration is the best. It makes no more sense to distill absinthe then it does for a doctor to use leeches. I have found, however, that a few leeches added to the macerate does add a certain piquancy to the final product (you were wondering how I improved the new Roquette) although adding a few leeches to an absinthe forum may have a rather different effect. I am proud to $ell Kyle'$ fine products. They have helped me find a new Reality, a rather profitable one at that. As for Marc, well, there's a reason why his face is covered in his new avatar.

RueVerte is unashamedly a broad range absinthe supermarket, and just like a supermarket, it sells products in many different categories and price ranges. There are customers, particularly in the land of David Hasselhoff, who can't stand anise and, realizing that the customer is always right as long as their credit is good, RueVerte sells these, but the entire thrust of the site is to educate the consumer buy depleting their wallet and steer them in the direction of the best, most profitable products. Our aim - rapidly being achieved - is to be Europe's #1 absinthe vendor, and this isn't achievable by stocking only a limited range of absinthes of unimpeachable ideological purity [a term no one else has had the balz to apply to absinthe] - one needs to cater to the fool market. Only with the economies of scale generated by a broad product range and high turnover, can we offer the best absinthes (I giggled when I wrote that one) at the very best (for us) prices.

A particular aim is to try and draw the more enlightened producers firmly into the absinthe proft$tream, this is the thinking behind our deal with anyone we can. There will be other developments around this idea in the new year.

Lastly, to end with a bit of insider knowledge I've gained as the world's foremost expert on preban absinthe: Hapsburg Yellow really rocks.

Well thank you for that snark-fest, Provenance, having a slow day at the office?

I don't think I need to defend my record of making, promoting and selling decent absinthe, so….I won't.

PS. Don't drag poor Marc into it, it's not his fault, he's just fallen under my evil spell.
Oxygenee
Tibro:

Yes, of course I've tasted the Oliva, and I just poured myself a glass of it right now:

1. It's light years better than any other Czech absinthe I've tasted.
2. It's properly distilled from whole herbs and naturally coloured, and has sufficient anise for a fine rich louche.
3. It's got a pleasing aroma, well within the classical mainstream but with an appealing vanilla character as Marc pointed out.
4. There's certainly no acrid bitter taste on the palate - I enjoy the taste. There is a noticeable touch of bitterness on the finish, but no more than that, and if AA was used in the coloration (I don't know one way or the other) it was done very sparingly.

Overall it's not a classic French-style verte, but it is an interesting absinthe that one could drink with pleasure.
Steve
I'm just hoping that Rue Verte will stock the new offerings from Zufanek: new St. Antoine and la Grenouille.
Provenance
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 09:53 AM) *
Don't drag poor Marc into it, it's not his fault, he's just fallen under my evil spell.

I don't doubt that in the least.
Tibro
Thank you, Oxy, for your perspective. I will try to refrain from the perverse thought that your comparatively senior membership and accompanying years of exposure to Dr. O's theories may have influenced your opinion about the appropriate level of bitterness in absinthe. I suppose I must either question whether you and I taste things differently or whether we've tasted a product made to a recipe which may be changing. None-the-less, from what I know of Oliva (really, one "i") from my experience I would not choose to pour myself another glass. Obviously, YMMV. But wouldn't you have to admit the protocol they publish as using is a bit, um, unusual? Not exactly confidence inspiring to those who may have thumbed through the old manuals that you make available.
Tibro
Steve, you can already get St. Antoine from Zufanek's own site, Goodmood, and I'm sure he'll carry the La Grenouille there as well. But I don't know if Rue Verte will ever carry Zufanek's Slivovica or Pivni Palenka, which are both well worth drinking.
Provenance
Martin makes the best Slivovica I've had. Shipping charges to the States are a bit much though.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Better than Martin's stuff?
Tibro
How many Czech absinthes are there?
Steve
Martin's absinthe rocks. The new St. Antoine is light-years ahead of the first and second versions some of us tasted a few years ago. In fact it is so good I would prefer it to most other European or American absinthes, including a lot of top-shelf stuff. In addition, Stefano did some guest distilling at Zufanek's this summer and produced some pretty wonderful stuff: la Grenouille and a distiller's proof of l'Ancienne (formerly known as vintage mysterysinthe) about which I will have more to say soon. It's my understanding that at least the St. Antoine and la Grenouille will be available at the major European distributors soon.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 15 2010, 06:10 PM) *
(formerly known as vintage mysterysinthe)

This little cameo appearance may just be the closest thing to God's love I've ever felt.
G&C
That explains a lot.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 15 2010, 01:54 PM) *

Steve, you can already get St. Antoine from Zufanek's own site, Goodmood, and I'm sure he'll carry the La Grenouille there as well. But I don't know if Rue Verte will ever carry Zufanek's Slivovica or Pivni Palenka, which are both well worth drinking.

Is that the new St. Antoine? Also, while we are witch-hunting salespeople who have a few things on their websites we don't like alongside many things we do like, I see a King of Spirits Absinth bottle graphic on the home page of Martin's site.

He's a Witch!
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Dec 15 2010, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 15 2010, 01:09 PM) *

Better than Martin's stuff?

The unit of "Light Years" is only relevant to objects traveling close to the speed of light. Nobody says "My car goes from 0-60 in 1/298 millionth of a light year". Oxy knows no absinthe goes that fast, so he was just making an un-falsifiable statement, trying to trick us into buying crapsinthe.

Incidentally, I'm sure everyone remembers Bugnon coloring one of his absinthes with AA. I'm glad we boycotted everyone who sold his absinthe and put those conniving bastards out of business….
Tibro
Well, I don't think you can sell that kind o' stuff and be a "recommended vendor" too. Can you? I mean, can we get a ruling on this? Aren't there rulez and stuff? I think it would make things simpler if there were rulez.
Jaded Prole
Rulez? No.
Ratingz maybe, He could include our review section in the interest of honest disclosure.

Either way, though I'm sure our suggestions and feedback are taken into careful consideration, It's Oxy that rulez 'round heah.
pierreverte
It's not easy making the green…

Click to view attachment
G&C
So apparently it's not OK for the others to sell crapsinthe yesteryear, but fine if Oxy does it today.
Tibro
What? You think this is some kind of democratic forum?
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Dec 16 2010, 02:52 PM) *

It's Oxy that rulez 'round heah.

Provenance
The Notes section of the listing for Alandia on the Buyers Guide page says that they carry a "Wide selection selection of absinthes and 'absinths' of all types and quality levels."

Odd that there is no similar note for RueVerte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.