Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are your favourite presently available absinths?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Xandria
Greetings and salutations.

While I've asked in the welcome area, I thought I would inquire of the regular denizens here:

What are your favourites of the brands currently available?

It's been too many years since I've ordered absinthe (scotch has claimed my soul for about the last decade) and I have renewed interest in this wonderful drink, and therefore need advice. While the Buyer's Guide is helpful, most of those are no longer available. So I'm asking the ardent imbibers among you.

Thank you very kindly for your re-education.

*bows*

PS: I just found the Personal Top 5 thread. I shall read with enthusiasm, but if anyone still wishes to chime in here, please do so. Thank you.
Kirk
When I answer that question it always costs me more than it does the person asking it, it should cost you more than 4 posts.
We are the same here as there so question moot, thanks for trying and stop being redundent.
Show us you're tits.
eric
chickawow.gif
Xandria
*laughs* Nice, Kirk, nice. My apologies for making such a feeble request of your epic greatness. Although you did take a few seconds to reply in your own snipey, inimitable way (or is that a macro you have on stand-by for newbs?). *snorts*

Yes, know my sincerity and person from the mere quantity of posts I have made. I'm amazed to know that at least one person has never had a low post count on any forum.

What matter of discourse from myself would be deemed acceptable for earning the right to walk in these halls? Do you prefer the repetitive proclamation of love for absinthe? Or candid stories of drunken debauchery involving insidious new uses for absinthe spoons? Pray, what is considered worthy from a mere newb with posts that count under 10… 20… how many until one is no longer a newb? Is quantity really the marker of quality?

I confess that while I do not have considerable time so sit around your all hallowed boys club, I do enjoy reading and learning, and I shall continue to do so. Thank you.

Cheers.
Kirk
Door number 2 please; "debauchery"
Xandria
Tales of debauchery to be told later. But I leave you with images of one too many at an office party where full body on floor dancing was the entertainment du jour. I'll let your vivid imagination roam where the absinthe spoon is concerned.

I'll definitely need to return to reading these forums when I have more than a couple hours. Perhaps I'm being overly fussy in my desire to obtain a few exquisite bottles of absinthe.

From what I've gleaned here, a distillery is not always consistent and therefore a specific label that was once excellent, may be found lacking years later -- and vice versa. And there are bottles that everyone seems to rave about for a while and then become swept aside as almost inferior.

For instance, I thought perhaps that Roquette 1797 might be nice, but now I'm not so sure. The Jades are certainly up and down in terms of quality with the PF considered overrated. I have yet to find any information about the Berthe de Joux except that it's either excellent or overpriced.

So… I shall take a deep breath and return this weekend to glean some more. Thanks to all for providing a very informative read, even if it tests my last two remaining brain cells.
absinthist
Get Berthe de Joux and Butterfly as the new stuff. In the meantime get some St. Antoine from Czech Republic.

Get Pacifique and Walton Waters as the old stuff.

Get L'Italienne, Sapphire or DuVallon Veuve Verte if your requirements are higher.
Tibro
Move to New Zealand and learn to make your own.
Artemis
full body on floor dancing was the entertainment du jour

You're talking to a man scarred by multiple Louchefests, where he had to step over that on the lawn just to get into the house.
Xandria
Thank you, all, for your helpful responses. I'm still reeling at how much has changed over the years and there's no doubt that the Internet has definitely been instrumental in the resurgence of absinthe and association between fellow imbibers.

@Tibro: Tempting, but alas, Vancouver is where my heart is (although Tokyo claimed my soul long ago).

@Artemis: Ohh, human lawn ornaments! Better than gnomes, and dare I say far more entertaining!
Tibro
Think of New Zealand, then, as a state-of-mind.
G&C
Ohh, human lawn ornaments!

More like 'living dead' art.
Xandria
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 13 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Think of New Zealand, then, as a state-of-mind.

It has mountains, I will give it that!

QUOTE(G&C @ Jan 13 2011, 04:41 PM) *

Ohh, human lawn ornaments!

More like 'living dead' art.

But art you can decorate and enhance for further entertainment. The possibilities are endless. Thankfully I was spared such humiliation.
Jaded Prole
Think of New Zealand

I like that.
Tibro
It's not the fact of the mountains but how you manipulate the stream.
Jaded Prole
prezactly.

And with impunity.
Kirk
Door number 3 Alex, for 500$;
Pretty much all the absinthe on the market today is poorly made swill or flawed to the point of unpleasantness.
I honestly could not recommend anything on the market, with the exception of Walton Waters and Meadow Of Love. For whatever reason this person (Cheryl, at Delaware Phoenix Distillery) has managed to make a beautiful absinthe, sweet, soft and with none of the flaws that you will find in most of the other offerings.
There, single handed I have ruined the craft distilling industry by answering your question, not to mention seriously offending a handful of good friends who are in the business of trying to make decent absinthe.
G&C
Specially since your talking out of your ass.
Kirk
Did I say I like Pacifique? I'll add it to my short list, I was just trying to keep it simple, there are a few more too.
OCvertDe
My favorite Absinth is Eichelberger 68. That isn't saying much though, Absinth pretty much sucks.
fryke
? … You make it sound like it was some czech swill. It's an absinthe alright. The German word for absinthe is, you might have guessed it, "Absinth".
sardonix
Walton Waters gets the nod from me at the moment…
absinthist
Ditto. DP's constant in mastering her Art.
Grim
Look, I know you were banned at WS, but don't plan on making this your new home if you plan on the same old antics.
absinthist
So what? What's the big deal that you know? I will just ignore you-it is very comfortable.
Grim
Aw shucks, kiddo, I know nothing.

I just pay close attention to the doors at this place… hope I can have my glass in front of me without shit getting flung on the counter tops… and, kiddo, you've flung it here before.
OCvertDe
QUOTE(fryke @ Jan 15 2011, 07:28 PM) *

? … You make it sound like it was some czech swill. It's an absinthe alright. The German word for absinthe is, you might have guessed it, "Absinth".

No shit.
To reiterate: I said it was my favorite of the "Absinths" because almost everything labeled as such- regardless of where it's made- is swill; furthermore, the fact that E68 actually is Absinthe doesn't make it good. As I implied, it's only good when compared to other products labeled "Absinth". Since this is not Germany, not a German forum, most of the members by far are not German, and the rest of the topic title was in English, the logical conclusion is not that the use of "Absinth" was some German was asking about our favorite Absinthe. On the contrary, the pointed use of the word "Absinth", which is now commonly accepted to represent inferior products of dubious quality and authenticity, seems quite deliberate.
Jay
Walton Waters is still my favorite, followed closely by Doubs Mystique, Meadow of Love, and Pacifique. In spite of all the attention that Berthe de Joie received over the past couple of months, it hasn't cracked my top five (although I do like it).

For blanches, it's Capricieuse and Clandestine.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Grim @ Jan 16 2011, 07:02 PM) *

Aw shucks, kiddo, I know nothing.

I just pay close attention to the doors at this place… hope I can have my glass in front of me without shit getting flung on the counter tops… and, kiddo, you've flung it here before.

Don't worry Grim, I've got Security keeping an eye on him.

sardonix
shock.gif Yikes!
Xandria
See what a typo can cause?! *head-desks*

Despite my German heritage, I did intend on the plural of absinthe, which is absinthes, unless I'm incorrect, which I may very well be given my lazy typing. Oh the shame!

My most profoundest of apologies for causing any disharmony by my typo.

PS: Why can I not edit the title of my original post? :-(
Xandria
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jan 14 2011, 06:06 AM) *

Door number 3 Alex, for 500$;
Pretty much all the absinthe on the market today is poorly made swill or flawed to the point of unpleasantness.
I honestly could not recommend anything on the market, with the exception of Walton Waters and Meadow Of Love. For whatever reason this person (Cheryl, at Delaware Phoenix Distillery) has managed to make a beautiful absinthe, sweet, soft and with none of the flaws that you will find in most of the other offerings.
There, single handed I have ruined the craft distilling industry by answering your question, not to mention seriously offending a handful of good friends who are in the business of trying to make decent absinthe.

I appreciate your sacrifice. Truly. :-)
OCvertDe
QUOTE(Xandria @ Jan 17 2011, 06:53 PM) *

Despite my German heritage, I did intend on the plural of absinthe, which is absinthes, unless I'm incorrect, which I may very well be given my lazy typing. Oh the shame!

If it makes you feel any better, I really meant nothing hostile towards you. I was only joking, until Captain Obvious took the case.
Xandria
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Jan 17 2011, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Xandria @ Jan 17 2011, 06:53 PM) *

If it makes you feel any better, I really meant nothing hostile towards you. I was only joking, until Captain Obvious took the case.

Oh good lord, I know, and thank you for saying so. I've gleaned enough from this forum to realize there is much subtle wit and friendly repartee amongst its denizens. Although I also detect some notes of disharmony on occasion, but such is the substance of all forums on occasion. I take everything with a grain of salt… or a cube of sugar.

Regardless… it's all amusing to one degree or another, and nothing is worth getting truly angry over.

Cheers! abs-cheers.gif
Provenance
The plural of absinthe is drunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.