Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nouvelle Vague
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
sbmac
I've had my 4th or 5th glass of this…it's quite tasty. Has anyone else tried it? I did a search here, but found nothing on the forum regarding it.

Cheers!
Tibro
Tasty? Is that a new synonym for unpalatable?
Steve
It's interesting. I thought it would be dreadful, but I was pleasantly surprised. I only had a small glass at slp's home, but he gave me a sample that I still have. I'll have to try it again one of these days. I sometimes change my opinion completely after a second or third tasting.
Donnie Darko
I have an album by that band Nouvelle Vague, who does lounge covers of some 80s bands (imagine a lounge cover of Dead Kennedy's "Too Drunk to Fuck" and you get the idea).

Never heard of the absinthe. Who makes it?
Steve
Oliver Matter. It has hints of chocolate and coffee. I know that might sound horrible, but it actually makes an interesting combination with the wormwood.
grUEneFEE
I have been known to dribble absinthe into my coffee, among other things.
Shabba53
Yep. I make a coffee, ginger and absinthe chocolate bar as well. The flavors go together tremendously well.
Tibro
Absinthe into coffee is fine. Coffee into absinthe, in this case at least, is dreadful.
sbmac
I felt these elements were subtle, and didn't stand out in a big way. Certainly not one of my top absinthes, but
I didn't find it bad at all. I was curious about the coffee and chocolate nuances, and what others here felt.
Clearly Tibro is not a fan!
Shabba53
I've tasted chocolate nuances in absinthe before. In fact, I believe one of the might have been another MAtter product. Also in several of the Montmartre versions. I liked it.

I also really like the chocolate absinthe drink sold on Ldf. That stuff be mighty tasty.
Tibro
Chocolate nuances in absinthe is distracting and ill-conceived if intentional. And a flaw if unintentional.

Chocolate liqueur is not a road I've ventured down since being a relative toddler. And can't say that I find tempting in the least now.
Steve
Chocolate and wormwood have an affinity for each other. I found this out thanks to Aggelos. Taste a piece of high quality very dark chocolate with a glass of wormwood-forward absinthe and you will understand (if your mind is open).

I'm not saying Nouvelle Vague is really good or not. I only had one taste. But I found the chocolate and coffee notes very subtle. In fact, I'm not sure I would have identified them correctly if slp hadn't told me.
Kirk
Nothing like an alpine meadow in spring time.
Tibro
I agree, nothing like it at all.

And I agree that eating chocolate and drinking absinthe can be an enjoyable combination. I'm just saying that I don't find drinking Nouvelle Vague to be an enjoyable endeavor. The flavors are distracting, if not outright annoying. If I felt I needed to nibble a piece of chocolate with every sip of an absinthe I would be inclined to say something's flawed.
hartsmar
I think it's a rather nice absinthe. You can tell it's made by the Matters and in my opinion the coffee taste is very subtle and quite interesting.

It's not my every day absinthe but I quite enjoy it.
fryke
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jan 15 2011, 08:11 PM) *

I agree, nothing like it at all.

And I agree that eating chocolate and drinking absinthe can be an enjoyable combination. I'm just saying that I don't find drinking Nouvelle Vague to be an enjoyable endeavor. The flavors are distracting, if not outright annoying. If I felt I needed to nibble a piece of chocolate with every sip of an absinthe I would be inclined to say something's flawed.

I think after the third or fourth post the general audience got your point. But I'm sure after your next post to this thread pointing out that you find it a bad idea to have chocolate and/or coffee aromas in an absinthe, I'll start to like your negative posts.
I kinda liked the Nouvelle Vague, when I tried it. I find it an interesting piece of experimentation with different aroma profiles. I don't necessarily want this in my every-weekend absinthe, but nonetheless… Not as absurd as it sounds.
Tibro
Just figured if I gave you a reason to defend Matter you'd come around and post more.

Trying to look on the positive side, I suppose it's possible that I'd like Nouvelle Vague in brownies or something. That's it, I'll take the more kindly view of thinking of it as a "cooking absinthe" from now on. Better?
thegreenimp
Why not just make an absinthe, that tastes like absinthe?
absinthist
Coz it is not longer kewel?
Kirk
Because nobody knows how. Just once I'd like to see some of these producers make a superior absinthe, once, and I'd shut my mouth.
absinthist
They have three paths to go: come back to the earliest basics, master what they know, or experiment aggressively within the traditional boundaries. Sadly, the money and profit blur the vision where to tread.
G&C
Then, there are those with your artistic talents…
Absomphe
Ain't it the trough.
G&C
I've been thinking of what I posted.
I'm not sure anyone has the talent equivalent.
Jaded Prole
Thank goodness for that!
Tibro
Unique the talents of that one are.
OCvertDe
I don't know about all that, but I just finished a glass of PF 1901, and I'm now eating a Chocolate flavor Jello Pudding snack. It tastes WAY better than it usually does. I doubt I'd want my Absinthe to taste like this, but whatever the 1901 did to my taste buds, it sure set them up nicely for it.
sixela
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jan 16 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Because nobody knows how. Just once I'd like to see some of these producers make a superior absinthe, once, and I'd shut my mouth.

Well, some of Matter's Brut d'Alambic (which he made for LdF from a Duplais recipe) were very good, actually.

And I tasted Mansonsinthe right from the alembic and it wasn't bad at all; in fact, I thought it was better as a blanche than once it was coloured and bottled for sale.
eric
I thought it was better as a blanche than once it was coloured and bottled for sale.

I would guess that chlorophyllin copper complex might be at least slightly detrimental to the flavor and aroma of a blanche Absinthe.
pierreverte
is that how the Mansinthe is colored?
eric
I do not know for sure but it does explain how a "100% natural" green color is impervious to sunlight exposure.
pierreverte
But your original statement made it pretty much sound like you are convinced that's how it is colored.
eric
I pretty much am convinced that the sample that I used for the test in this thread was colored w/ CCC.
http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?sh…ic=4182&hl=

I was able to reproduce the same results by coloring a blanche Absinthe w/ CCC obtained at a local heath food store.
pierreverte
Is that the only way to make that green color?
eric
Of course not.
However, it is the only way that I know of to obtain a green color that does not fade when exposed to long tern direct sunlight and still be considered "100% natural".

Perhaps there are other possibilities, but I do not believe that there is.
I am open to enlightenment.
pierreverte
I doubt Matter will share his secret, and you can speculate on how it is done, but unless you have lab-test proof, you probably shouldn't throw out such assumptions appearing as conclusions, based on the data that you have and your status here as an experienced distiller.
My guess is Matter knows a hell of alot more about distilling and plants than well, everybody on all these forums.
eric
you probably shouldn't throw out such assumptions appearing as conclusions,

Perhaps you are correct on that point.
However, if presented as a (very)plausible explanation, I can see nothing wrong with sharing my experiences and opinions.
We can all draw our own conclusions.
Tibro
QUOTE(eric @ Jan 17 2011, 02:42 AM) *

I would guess that chlorophyllin copper complex might be at least slightly detrimental to the flavor and aroma of a blanche Absinthe.

Having never heard of CCC before I was curious to see what I might find.
The FDA monograph for drugs with the active ingredient chlorophyllin copper complex is titled “Deodorant Drug Products for Internal Use.” This monograph describes chlorophyllin copper complex as “generally recognized as safe and effective”, and describes the following uses: (i) “An aid to reduce odor from a colostomy or ileostomy.'' (ii) “An aid to reduce fecal odor due to incontinence.''

Sounds like it would be the opposite of a flavor enhancer if was to be used as a coloring agent. Not that I know or am making any definitive conclusions.

Now, if someone who drinks Mansinthe were to make the claim that their xit don't stink…
hartsmar
again.... using a colorant such as E141 or E144 would require the additive to be stated on the label. It is not.
Alan
I don't think that is true in every country.

In USA and France, colourings do have to be declared on the label. But in UK, many other countries in Europe, and Asia, it is not necessary.
Artemis
My guess is Matter knows a hell of a lot more about distilling and plants than well, everybody on all these forums.

Is that not an "assumption appearing as a conclusion"?
pierreverte
Does the phrase 'my guess' appear to be a conclusion?

Anyone want to step up as a more knowledgeable producer, or nominees and why?
I'm happy to be proved wrong, or see how people really feel about the true lifetime skills of their pet producers, because I actually learn from it…
Artemis
I recognize a guess when I see it, regardless of the words in which it's wrapped. Eric guessed. You guessed. You both presented conclusions based upon assumptions.
Eric expressed his opinion, based upon his experience.
You expressed your opinion of another man's experience.
You were correct in deconstructing the logic of Eric's statement, in that just because product X is capable of making liquor green and tastes bad, it doesn't follow that a given green liquor that tastes bad contains product X.
But you can't prove that this guy "knows more" than the people on "all these forums" any more than Eric can prove that the stuff in question went into that product.
OCvertDe
Having imbibed almost all of Matter's commercial offerings myself- as well as every other commercial distiller on these forums- I humbly submit that IF Oliver Matter knows more about his craft than the rest of these folks, he hasn't chosen to prove it by making better Absinthe than the rest of them. Not only is Matter Absinthe not ahead of the curve, I doubt he could pray to catch up to it at this point.
pierreverte
that's your opinion and guess…

"Clear things up? Most likely not, but we likes things cloudy around here…" - me
Absomphe
I'll go with Emile Pernot's new distiller Dominique over Matter, especially when one considers how much flavor he managed to coax out of that 56% Berthe de Joux recipe.

But, again, that's just my opinion and guess.
pierreverte
I'll be sure to tell Dominique on Wednesday that you think so!
Steve
Dominique is a very talented distiller and a super nice down to earth guy. All of the new things coming from Pernot are superb.
Absomphe
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jan 17 2011, 05:54 PM) *

I'll be sure to tell Dominique on Wednesday that you think so!

Please do! abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.