Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coincidence?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Provenance
A friend pointed the following out to me and did not think the timing was coincidental.

President Obama's State of the Union address: January 25th @ 9:00pm
Turner Movie Classics broadcast of General Spanky (1936): January 25th @ 9:15pm

From the Black Film Center/Archive (Indiana University):
General Spanky (1936) - A Civil War period piece which finds Buckwheat as a lost slave who teams up with Spanky. The two, joined by the gang, eventually become responsible for defending a plantation against an attack by Northerners. There are references to slave masters, pickaninnies, and the like. Discovering that he's lost, Buckwheat attaches himself to Spanky, knowing that a slave without a master is likely to be shot. Billie Thomas stars as Buckwheat.

Buckwheat (Billie "Buckwheat" Thomas) is a slave on the same riverboat, and is constantly getting into trouble. His master and the other slaves go ashore without him, and when Buckwheat hears that all runaway slaves should be shot, he begins looking for a new master to take him in, in one of those infamous film scenes that must be seen to be believed. Buckwheat and Spanky meet, both fall off the riverboat, and find their way to Valient's plantation, where Valient invites them to stay.
I realize this is a film made for the family, and there are a number of funny episodes strung together, but watching little Billie Thomas asking strange men if they would be his new master, or having Spanky claim Buckwheat as his slave to avoid a fight with other kids, is still something I had never seen onscreen before, and trust me, I thought I had seen it all.

Tibro
…and then Edward Snowden stole the show.
Artemis
Discovering that he's lost

Unlikely to happen with Obama. He's like George Costanza, driving the parents of his dead fiance (whom George had inadvertently killed) to his imaginary estate on the shore, arrogantly ignoring all their attempts to call his bluff, maintaining the lie until the car is almost in the ocean. Turner Movie Classics is right there with Seinfeld as one of the last good things on TV.
Tibro
Remember when televisions were housed in big boxy wooden cabinets that allowed you to actually place things on top, like your drink when you got up to change the channel on the damn thing? That's probably the last time I remember something good being on the box.

Simpler times. Few of us considered exactly who that RCA pooch thought he heard.
Artemis
I remember, all right. Three channels, all in black and white. The news man was always an older, dignified, well-dressed man with impeccable diction, and he told you what had happened without telling you what to think about it. The idea of plastering logos and other crap over half the screen for the duration of a show either didn't occur to them, or was shot down as insane, not merely unnecessary. Commercials were infrequent and brief, and even if they hedged the truth about the product, at least you could identify the product, and they didn't make you feel like you just had a bucket of shit poured down your throat.
Tibro
…and our futures were secured with the threat of Mutually Assured Destruction.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 24 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Three channels, all in black and white.

Sounds like enough.
Tibro
Uncle Milty in a dress.

Steve Allen and The Tonight Show.

"…and that's the way it was."
Artemis
And Groucho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTR-G9NpGNI
Kirk
Now my channel 7 meteorologist says; "tempature" and the news caster shows us "pitchers" of the event, while the sportscaster astounds us with the questions he axed. The rest are busy removing all the d's from the middle of their "didn't's.
Based on a true story.Also I can't forgive everybody for starting every sentence with "so".
Jaded Prole
I hate it when they say, "At the end of the day . . ." as well.
sbmac
Russel Brand puts some cornflakes in their place, in style. Worth watching the whole 9 minutes.
at about 6 minutes in, he nails it.

Video
Artemis
This is a hotbed of neurosis

Thank you for your casual objectification

Kirk
Some one tell this woman to get her feet off of my couch.
Taken in the "Formal" Green room at the White House.
Tibro
Actually, the photo and its composition are too good to complain about shoes on the furniture. In fact, that's an important part of the statement.

I'm glad you reminded me I have such a nice couch though.
Kirk
Bullxit, she sets an example, if you want to act like a slob, do it somewhere else, not in my formal greeting room, I know she wants to look relaxed and liberal but that's not the place to do it. The silk upholstery alone probably cost $10,000, not to mention the priceless antique it's mounted to. At least take your shoes off first, bitch.
Jaded Prole
It's just stuff and has probably been replaced and reupholstered before. She isn't standing on it. Nice photo.

I don't think every move a person makes, even the first lady, has to "set an example." I hate that whole "role model" thing.
Kirk
I liked her, but I have to say that is shocking behavior for a mother and a person who is setting an example, keep your feet off the furniture, especially in a symbolic room, it becomes a symbolic pose and I don't appreciate it one bit.
Jaded Prole
I'm sure for worse things have happened in that room.
Kirk
Was it in "Parade Magazine"?
G&C
I need a cigar.
Jay
Wow, there sure is a lot of hysterical vitriol directed a woman sitting on a couch who dares to have the side of her shoe touching the fabric. Perhaps we should all gain some perspective, have a drink and calm down.
IPB Image
sbmac
I recall a photo of James Baker sitting across from a Saudi King or Prince, with his legs crossed. One shoe was tipped up, its sole pointed directly at the royal who was staring at the shoe in disgust and surprise…that the Secretary of State of the USA would not know that this was a horrible insult. Baker was smiling, the Saudi's gaze was fixated at the shoe's sole, eyes popping out in disbelief. It was priceless. They later hired his law firm to protect the Saudis in the lawsuit brought against them by families of 9/11 victims. They must have gotten over his shoe. At least it wasn't on the sofa, however.

Tibro
Blame the people that extended her lease on the property. And deduct any damages from the deposit.

And, dear lord, make sure you keep that magazine out of the hands of impressionable youngsters. Heaven forbid they grow up to be "slobs" like that woman.
Kirk
I guess it pays to be oblivious.
G&C
I read that as obvious…
Artemis
The shoe isn't really touching the fabric, not the sole anyway. I guess the pose is supposed to convey ordinary folksy-ness. Kirk has a point, though, you probably wouldn't have caught Jacqueline Kennedy sitting that way. He just old school.

When Bobby Flay (he of the sticky bun story) whipped the Iron Chef in Japan, he jumped up onto the table. The Japanese were shocked and disgusted, but then they eat sitting on the floor. It's all fun and games until somebody gets sued.
Kirk
I like symbolism, like not talking when the musician is playing, and keeping my feet off of formal couches.
Tibro
…and Baudelaire and Rimbaud and Mallarme.
sbmac
I remember that one Artemis. Flay beat Morimoto, then stood on top of the cutting board with arms raised in victory. Morimoto said gruffly to the host "no chef would do this. He is not a chef." Then again, who am I to comment… my spit bucket leaked at Absinthiades. I held it up for all to see, claiming the absinthe was responsible for the hole in the bucket. It was a true Team America moment.
Kirk
In fact, that's an important part of the statement.

How very conservative of me to hope for her to be able to liberally express herself and her ideals within the narrowly defined restraints and confines of this formal greeting room, are you saying she did not understand what I expected?
If I follow, where would you like me to keep this sofa kingdom?
Tibro
First, my assumption is that this is a posed composition. The geometric hard verticals and horizontals, looking in to the Blue Room behind which is round, is masterful. She sits, contrapposto, centered in the photo yet on the extreme end of the couch. A centered figure in a dynamic field, with a dynamic pose. The color composition too. Her magenta dress boldly weighing down, dominating, disrupting the vertical green and white stripes of the couch, projecting her in front of the woodsy-green wall. The brightness of it playing off the cool blue of the background rug, the dark shadowy recesses sinking into the yellow patterned wall. She is modern and at home even against the clearly antebellum portrait over her right shoulder.

If anything, I see it not as a liberal portrait but actually rather conservative. The centering of the figure, the lines and edges of objects that hold her in place, define her in time. The foot on the furniture is gracefully perched, sole up, and probably done at the photographer's suggestion. It is youthful, in my opinion, not disrespectful. It lends vibrancy and motion to her figure. It helps to bring her out of the past, out of the defined, textbook historical stasis of the past into the living moment. The placement of the foot implies the subject is at ease and at home.

There is nothing sloppy about the composition or about her pose. It is confident. It is accomplished. It is a study in contrasts and complements. The image, the pose, the message is one of both strength and of vulnerability. She is not planted firmly, she is neither constrained within her surroundings nor fighting against them. She is fluid with them, elegant and posed, thoughtful.

Do you know the name of the photographer?
G&C
She should still have the decency to keep her feet off the furniture. But I guess if you use her husband as an example, you'll see where she gets it.
Tibro
Fucking Amerikan executives. No respect.

IPB Image
Tibro
Ronald Reagan trying to look liberal during his 1980 presidential campaign.
Kirk
It's a beautiful photograph but the picture is insulting.
Feet on the desk are nothing, that's what desks are for, walls, ceilings, all are fair game.
Provenance
Which is why Liver promised never host another A-town fest.
Tibro
My mother, may she rest in peace, could never accept blue jeans as anything but work pants. As casual wear she tsk'd and tutted and thought the world was going to hell in a handbasket as they became de rigeur among young and old alike. It also made her visibly shudder to see someone eat their meal with their fork firmly in their left hand through the meal, cutting with their right and transferring the food directly to their mouth without switching hands. Barbaric.

Well, I can point to footprints on walls throughout my house. No, no washable enamels on those walls. But the furniture's okay. You'd be comfortable in my house, Kirk. And I don't care what you wear or which hand you hold what cutlery in.

I wouldn't care much to see a picture of the first lady with her shoes on the green silk walls of that formal White House room though. I can't imagine the composure would be properly manifested.
Artemis
My mother never wore pants of any kind in her life.
She never learned to drive; never had a driver's license.
No footprints on her wall.
I've been in more than one house with holes in the walls.
Jacqueline Kennedy looked like she came from a house as ritzy as the White House; she looked more like one of the objects of art in there than an inhabitant, but people liked her anyway, because she came across as a genuinely nice person without posing.
Jaded Prole
"I wouldn't care much to see a picture of the first lady with her shoes on the green silk walls of that formal White House room though. I can't imagine the composure would be properly manifested."

Sounds Kennedyesque.
Tibro
Coincidence?
Artemis
Duplicate deleted ...
This forum has a bad habit of including graphics in a different post than intended lately, and refusing to accept edits. Time for an upgrade or an arson.
Artemis
Sounds Kennedyesque.

The Kennedys maybe, Jacqueline Bouvier, never.
Click to view attachment

G&C
"Kennedyesque."

That would be Jackie's ass print on the wallpaper.
Artemis
I doubt it. Maybe Marilyn's. Or Bill Clinton's.
Tibro
Ben Franklin's visits were the reason for an early redecoration.
Jay
Forget having somebody follow me around playing my eponymous theme song on a ghetto-blaster boombox -- I want Tibro to follow me around to provide a running commentary on the composition of various photographs I am in. That was a marvelous analysis yesterday - honest, objective, and thoughtful.
Provenance
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(G&C @ Aug 21 2013, 05:35 PM) *

…That would be Jackie's ass print on the wallpaper.

Ne dois pas m'inclure !
Kirk
That was an impressive review, Tibro.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.