Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Whisky
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Grim
A friend of mine is headed on a very awesome project…

I know others here enjoy a variety of other spirits, whisk(e)y certainly one of them.

I just get a really inexpressible feeling that makes me truly elated when I hear about so many good people doing creative things with the art. So I thought I'd share.
Grim
Same goes for the absinthe scene: what David… Cheryl… Peter… Marc Bernhard… all of you people who've been sticking with this for so long are doing.

CHEERS!

Especially the HGers! Keep kicking ass!
Donnie Darko
I've only had the 12 year old Suntory. It was much better than I expected, but didn't align with my taste preferences. What are some good Japanese Whiskys? This sounds interesting.

You're right though. It's really remarkable what has developed over the last 10 or so years with Absinthe. Ted laid the groundwork of research and inspiration, then a lot of enthusiasts collaboratively figured out how to make quality product, meanwhile David and Peter were reviving Pontarlier's Absinthe capabilities (and have really made leaps and bounds over the last couple of years) and creating a wonderful online resource for pre-ban and absinthe education, and the US law relented thanks again to Ted (and Kubler), and now there's many delicious things to be had. And HG hasn't stopped climbing the ladder of gustatory progress either. Meanwhile, there has been a revival of classic cocktail craftsmanship with a remarkable level of obsessive detail and dedication.

These are wonderful times for booze.
Kirk
They are indeed, thanks for bringing that up, with all the criticism dealt out, by me and others, I often wonder if the people receiving it know how much we love them.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Feb 11 2011, 11:29 AM) *
What are some good Japanese Whiskys?

Nikka makes some very good whiskey.
Grim
Haven't heard from Brendan since March 11th… saying he had limited power on his laptop, but hopefully things are looking up.

I don't know how many of you remember Kevangogh… but he's headed to Southern Japan as we speak. I wish him the best…
Absomphe
Indeed, I do remember Kevangogh.

He afforded me my first opportunity to sample Edouard Pernod, a few years back.

My best wishes go with him, as well.
Artemis
I know him from another forum. I don't know if people realize, he actually lives in Japan - heading for the south was necessary for him because his home was close to the destroyed reactor.
pierreverte
"The Miyagikyo Distillery (Nikka) is also in northern Japan, in Sendai (lat.38 N), Miyagi Prefecture, northern Honshu. Travelling in the area one day, Masataka came upon this site completely enclosed by mountains and sandwiched between two rivers. He immediately knew that this was the perfect site for whisky distilling. Sendai's fresh water, suitable humidity and crisp air produce soft and mild malt."

quite sad…I was told all their warehouses are(were) at the port.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.