Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abyss
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Steve
Who the heck are these people? "Since 1811"?! And why have I never heard of an "ABYSS" distillery which they claim was the second absinthe distillery in the Franche-Comte? Also their claim of authenticity is somewhat degraded by their second product, "raspberry absinthe". There are pictures of some old alambics but I don't recognize the distillery.

… 1798 by a certain major Dubied who associated with his son-in-law, Henri Louis Pernod in 1805 to start the first absinthe distillery in Franche-Comte (France), creating a pleasurable drink.
In 1811, a second absinthe distillery was founded, ABYSS distillery that is still today owned by the same family. The distillery rapidly focused the activity on absinthe due to increasing demands. The 2 first houses made absinthe known throughout the whole French country and contributed to expand national railroads to supply with the Green Fairy.

You can find them on twitter or on their website.
Grim
The alambic images are of Lemercier.
Steve
Thanks, Grim! Good to know it's some place I already had no respect for.
Donnie Darko
Oh dear. Looking at their "methods", apparently their source alcohol comes from fermenting the herbs?!?!?!

There are 3 categories of absinthe makers: professionals, amateurs, and then outright frauds. Nice to see that they're competing with Tourment Verte for being the king of category 3.
Steve
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ May 28 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Oh dear. Looking at their "methods", apparently their source alcohol comes from fermenting the herbs?!?!?!

I'm sure that's a misunderstanding by the uninformed person who commissioned the stuff.
Provenance
QUOTE(Steve @ May 28 2011, 09:08 AM) *
their second product, "Bronx Cheer absinthe".

Jaded Prole
Sounds like crap surrounded with BS.

Complex and herbaceous to the nose with hints of caramel and mint offering vanilla flavors. Peppery spices dominance.

Very powerful to the palate. Rich notes of Wormwood offering bitterness to a long and elegant finish.

Sounds burnt™ with lots of coriander and maybe AA in the coloration. Most disturbing however are the historical claims.

And the raspberry absinthe.
Tibro
Thank goodness there's a real expert absinthe educator like Shitbagandahalf to try this stuff and gently and politely set them on the road to redemption.
Jaded Prole
The alambic images are of Lemercier.

Sounds a lot like their copy as well. Apparently this xit's so bad they don't even want to have their name attached to it.
sixela
Can't blame them. If you think their commercial products suck, you should have tasted what they managed to do to Serge Helfrich's recipe when they were commissioned to do something with it.
Aggelos
Meh. Lemercier is also behind Pandor & Phenom, but won't tell it out loud
Kirk
They need a good consultant, like Shabba maybe, to help them make the product look more palatable as absinthe, then they might be able to stay in business.
Stroller
Or they could just light a stack of Benjamins.
Kirk
True, the smell of money burning in the morning usually attracts the big boys.
EdouardPerneau
Soaking The herbs, having been carefully selected are then left to soak. Then after two days, due to the action of natural yeast, the sugar content is transformed into alcohol. The natural fermentation process for herbs takes approximately six to eight weeks. Following this comes the distilling stage, which takes place in a copper still.

huh ? blink.gif
G&C
™.
sixela
Darn. Someone made my bullshitometre explode again.
Steve
I'm glad I wasn't standing next to you!
thegreenimp
I miss Don, damn it would have been fun to see him respond to that mess.
Kirk
He may not dive but I wonder if he can swim?
Kirk
There is major flooding going on in Thailand, don't know if it matters to him.
artiste
Saw this (Abyss) at a local liquor store…more expensive that Lucid…obviously they have poor taste.
eric
Wow!
I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be censored and deleted over here.
Thanks guys!
Feel free to delete this post if you so desire.
Oxygenee
Chill Eric, follow the rainbow bridge.
Tibro
???

IPB Image
Tibro
You may be thinking of this "bridge" nearby:

IPB Image

It doesn't go anywhere. It's an observation platform.

But I'm having trouble seeing what's going on.
Oxygenee
Understand will Eric.
Tibro
Pretty sure you weren't advising him he had to go to Kanada. That would be unspeakably cruel.

Even for you.
Oxygenee
I can be cruel, but I'm not a monster, Tibro.
thegreenimp
You'd only be a monster if you sent someone to Belgium land.
Absomphe
Or mebbe Po'-land.
artiste
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ May 30 2011, 06:35 PM) *

I miss Don, damn it would have been fun to see him respond to that mess.

Why do you miss Don?
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(eric @ Oct 17 2011, 07:52 AM) *

Wow!
I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be censored and deleted over here.
Thanks guys!

What actually happened?!
Tibro
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Oct 18 2011, 12:18 PM) *

Who actually is artiste?!

Not to put words in your mouth, but I was looking for a non non sequitur.
Oxygenee

Wow!
Thanks guys!

What actually happened?!

No one ever tells you anything.
G&C
Mushrooms!
artiste
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Oct 18 2011, 03:18 AM) *

Wow!
Thanks guys!

What actually happened?!

It was either something or nothing. Or something that turned into nothing. Or nothing at all.

Remember, you can neither create nor destroy energy and matter…just change them from one form into another.
Provenance
True. I neither create nor destroy energy and matter. You, on the other hand, are just boring and remain that way in all forms.
Absomphe
Indeed.

QUOTE(artiste @ Oct 18 2011, 12:24 AM) *

Why do you miss Don?

For a number of reasons, but primarily because he was anything but boring.
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Oct 18 2011, 04:52 PM) *

Wow!
Thanks guys!

What actually happened?!

No one ever tells you anything.

Something like that.
artiste
QUOTE(Provenance @ Oct 18 2011, 01:30 PM) *

True. I neither create nor destroy energy and matter. You, on the other hand, are just boring and remain that way in all forms.

And you are just insipid.
sixela
QUOTE(thegreenimp @ Oct 18 2011, 12:28 AM) *

You'd only be a monster if you sent someone to Belgium land.

I haven't got the paperwork nailed down yet for my commission as "Ruler of Heck, Prince of Twilight". Soon, though,…

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.