Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WS is talking about FV
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Oxygenee
Some dude called Miguel thinks we're just mean.
http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph…st&p=245314
G&C
Nasty mean perhaps.
But never just mean.

Some people will just never 'Get It'.
Artemis
I made my semi-annual post over there, it was about bedbugs, then I read a Boggysinthe topic, because I'm following the reaction to his commercial release, partly to convince myself I'm not full of shit about it, and I see that egregious nonsense from Miguel (or XXXXX, as he was for about a day), so I jumped into it.

Either we're too mean, or too childish, or too Euro, or too old, or something.

It's good to know we will always be too something.
Oxygenee
We're "crass" also.

Euro-crass in fact.
Artemis
- having or indicating such grossness of mind as precludes delicacy and discrimination

Yeah, this from a guy who can't spell knowledgeable and assumed Boggy and Bognoz (Lounge) were the same person because the names look alike.
Artemis
Speaking of Euro stuff, I saw a glowing report on Oxy's speech from Beowulf himself - seems it reduced the wolfman almost to tears. He's rough as a cob, but crass he is not.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 23 2011, 01:00 PM) *
It's good to know we will always be too something.

Indeed!
Zman
QUOTE(G&C @ Jun 23 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Nasty mean perhaps.
But never just mean.

nono.gif
Patlow
I was just telling someone that LFV was the nicest bunch of people I've ever hung out with. Do I have hostage wife syndrome?
Tibro
Because I get enough people calling me ignorant and stupid when I get paid to deal with it

Enough? I remain sceptical.

Value for FV? It is nearly dead.

Post counts alone do not measure the life of a forum.
R3al Caravano
Cross forum fights are hilarious. I going to grab some popcorn and a beer.
You got to keep up; the threads over 'dem parts get moved around for reading [in]convenience.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jun 24 2011, 06:46 AM) *

Value for FV? It is nearly dead.

Post counts alone do not measure the life of a forum.

I'm not sure I'd call a site with a constant stream of new members and average page-views of around a million a month "nearly dead".

And, for what it's worth, the cumulative post total excludes the entire first 6 years of the forum, which is archived separately.
Kirk
QUOTE(Patlow @ Jun 23 2011, 11:37 PM) *

I was just telling someone that LFV was the nicest bunch of people I've ever hung out with. Do I have hostage wife syndrome?

No, now shut up and go make me a sandwich.
Kirk
I'm a schizophrenic series of puppets, one of them must be the boogy man.
Oxygenee
For Patlow's sake, I hope "hostage wife syndrome" stops at "make me a sandwich".
Leopold
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 24 2011, 08:01 AM) *

I'm not sure I'd call a site with a constant stream of new members and average page-views of around a million a month "nearly dead".

You'll be stone dead in a moment

Provenance
crass but knowledgable individuals. But I guess that was too much to hope.

I don't want to read other forums, but they are hard to avoid in this tiny world of absinthe.

Is this for real? People disturbed at the notion of of being exposed to crassness, i.e, something other than then a carefully filtered environment? What on earth has this to do with absinthe, with its history and culture?

Yo, Earth to Wormwood Society: many of those Belle Époque absinthe drinkers -- crass, not giving a fuck about conforming to polite society. Those bootleggers who kept absinthe alive, not your kind of people. People who rediscovered and advanced absinthe, well, not crass and actually really great, kind generous folks, but most of them may not necessarily quite be in keeping with your…uh…standards.

It's hard to imagine what the current state of absinthe would be if FV wasn't a free-for-all discussion forum. If FV had been run as the WS is, the absinthe world would be a much poorer place.

The Wormwood Society isn't about absinthe. And its not for people who want to learn about absinthe. But if you're a self-absorbed, simpering, whiny prick, it's probably the Nanny Forum for you.
Kirk
Momma always told me not to be angry at a person who calls you an idiot.
Provenance
Why would you get angry at the person who calls me an idiot?
Kirk
It's okay to be angry at idiots.
Provenance
So that's why I was screaming in the mirror this morning.

I wasn't screaming but the image in the mirror sure was.
Shabba53
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 23 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Some dude called Miguel thinks we're just mean.
http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.ph…st&p=245314

I hate to jump in here, and I won't follow up after this comment, but Miguel's original points were about LL. His comment about little knowledge to be learned was about LL, not FV. Scroll up several posts (#36) from Oxy's link to see how it all started. It was another FV member who incorrectly attributed the comment to FV.

His comment where he used the term 'forums' (plural) was a general comment about ALL forums, not absinthe forums specifically. He had mentioned elsewhere that he tries to avoid getting involved in any forums on any subject for multiple reasons.

The issues with FV sort of took off from there.

I'll also point out that several people, including myself, made several statements in which we tried to avoid another FV discussion. They aren't productive, or even entertaining anymore.

QUOTE(Brian Robinson @ Jun 23 2011, 07:05 AM) *

Are we really going to get into another WS vs. FV discussion? Come on people, let's move on. Nothing to be gained by having that match again. Nothing good has ever come of it.

One newbie, mentioning another forum doesn't really constitute 'The WS is talking about FV', especially since it was FV members who made it about FV. Mountains out of molehills.

Cheers.
Kirk
Not me, I made it about me.
Tibro
You see, I would have never gotten that information straight if I hadn't come to FV and read the truth (as laid down by one of those knowledgeable Society guys, no less).

Win - win.

Who every said nothing good has ever come of it is a liar.
Artemis
It was another FV member who incorrectly attributed the comment to FV.

Are you talking about me? Do you mean that I incorrectly attributed comments as being ABOUT Fee Verte?

"Miguel" wrote, BEFORE I got involved:

Also, everytime I google about a subject (for example rectifying balls), LL and FV threads come up. Regretfully you have to read through a ton of shit in between posts by people who actually know how to make absinthe.

and

All these past issues, makes it difficult for a noob to get invovled. And un-appetizing. The basic reason I did not join FV, as much as I admire what Oxy has on his regular websites.

and

I should just avoid the other forums, as the information gained is minimal. I was thinking that the other forums would have crass but knowledgable individuals. But I guess that was too much to hope.

And even if he was talking strictly about the Lounge, which he clearly was not, it still offends me, because there are knowledgeable people there, and I am a member there as well.

His comment where he used the term 'forums' (plural) was a general comment about ALL forums, not absinthe forums specifically. He had mentioned elsewhere that he tries to avoid getting involved in any forums on any subject for multiple reasons.

ALL forums except WWS forum, you mean. He doesn't seem to make any attempt to avoid that one, which has every bit as much shit as any other forum. It may be shit that doesn't offend him, but it's still shit.

I'll also point out that several people, including myself, made several statements in which we tried to avoid another FV discussion.

I wasn't content with other people's statements. I wanted to make my own, so I did. An admin responded as though I was talking to him - he should have stayed out of it. You responded accusing me of "twisting" something, which I didn't. If you wanted to avoid another discussion, you should have stayed out of it - I wasn't going to keep on posting about it.

But I'm wrong, Oxy is wrong, Kirk is wrong, we're all wrong, except you.

You don't want shit, don't start shit, and don't defend shit when you see it.

sixela
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Jun 24 2011, 03:55 PM) *

I hate to jump in here, and I won't follow up after this comment, but Miguel's original points were about LL. His comment about little knowledge to be learned was about LL, not FV.

Miguel did say "Value for FV? Nearly dead". Not anyone else.

Not that I think for a moment you necessarily agree with him we're dead.

I don't have gripes with types like Miguel. If he wants to live in a sheltered environment, I'll gladly leave him to do so. It's all the whinging about why it's "better" to live that way and that smug superiority-by-association thinggummie that irks me.
Artemis
Well said.
Donnie Darko
Prov and Six eloquently said what I was about to say. I'm glad there's a forum for Princesses who get all in a tizzy if somebody walks into the room without taking their shoes off first, because they'll spend their time over there, rather than here.

What I will also say is that, from my point of view, I'll freely admit that I think this place is superior, elite, etcetera. Why? We're here because, even though we may have sophisticated knowledge about the drink, we are not interested in appearing all that sophisticated. This is no "society". From where I stand, being down to earth about your libations is superior to dressing up green booze in decorum.

Can one improve their education in regards to absinthe over there? Absolutely. They do a decent job of conveying accurate information and there are many smart people who visit that forum (along with some fools).

The point worth noting, however, is that the bulk of said accurate information about absinthe was originally acquired from here, so I prefer to stay close to the source rather than the messenger. In here, you can say exactly what you think and feel in any manner you wish, while over there you are taking a risk by doing so. If I'm pouring liquor down my gullet, I'm certainly not going to withhold part of my personality for the sake of the most sensitive people among us. In vino veritas is on full display here for better or for worse, but sometimes I wonder if the culture over there is for drinkers.
kaseijin
I don't really have much to add save that, once you get to know a couple, FV folks are just about the nicest and most genuine folks around, and every one that I've had the pleasure to have met has been amazing to a fault. Self-congratulatory back-pats for all!

Seriously, though. I spend all day, every day online for my job. Some of that is browsing forums. Most of these are technical, true…but every now and then I peek over at a lifestyle forum such as these. While I do value WS, enjoy discussion with some of the folks there, and find that there is a very definite value in providing a warm welcome mat for new enthusiasts, I always tend to think of FV as more familial. Probably because it's the site that started me off? Like a first car, first job, first girl…

This is still where I come if I want to see an honest opinion on something, with no smoke being blown up anybody's arse. And there is a value in that, too -- every bit as much as in the "big tent" approach.

Apples and oranges, if you ask me. And if people don't like some variety? Then I honestly think that's kind of their loss.
Artemis
I got a PM from Shabba that frames Miguel's comments in a context with which I can't argue.

And I admitted to him that I wasn't really THAT offended.

People have tribes; they form tribes, they join tribes, they sit around the fire and snicker about the other tribes. It's a natural thing.

I'm going to let it go.
Donnie Darko
Damn, I'm going to have to get that tribal tattoo of the FeeVerte logo removed now. That's gonna sting.
Tibro
I'm still miffed.

If you really want the tat removed I can do it with one swift blow. I might find it cathartic. Maybe not. But you'd be rid of the tattoo. And I'd at least have another practice swing in.
Artemis
Remind me not to ask you for help taking off my tinfoil hat.
Tibro
Tinfoil hat? Good as knowing the secret handshake. No worries.
Provenance
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jun 24 2011, 10:12 AM) *
I can do it with one swift blow.

You must have a lot of customers asking for refunds.
Tibro
My services usually cost an arm or a leg. Rarely both. No refunds.
Stroller
I got a PM from Shabba

Did he mention the fleshy-headed mutant in sector 16B?

Marlow
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 23 2011, 04:42 PM) *

WS is talking about FV

Not only that, but FV is talking about WS talking about FV!
Donnie Darko
It's a simulacrum of a synecdoche.
Tibro
Metonymy "r" us.

Nothing that a little hatchet play can't clear up.
Bruno Rygseck
I just had to dig this up because it cost me a new keyboard and a mouthful of mediocre absinthe.

Neither was a big loss compared to the fun. And the screen was easily cleaned.

Stroller
Now I'm sad, Outerlimits has been sorely missed in Southern Cal.
Tibro
Oxy's still toeing that line with his latest post at that Society joint. I feel ashamed and take the criticism personally.
sardonix
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jun 24 2011, 10:40 AM) *

The Wormwood Society isn't about absinthe. And its not for people who want to learn about absinthe. But if you're a self-absorbed, simpering, whiny prick, it's probably the Nanny Forum for you.

I can't imagine how LFV might have gotten a rep for being mean… ohmy.gif
And I'm actually just being an asshole for continuing this, but this Sharks vs. Jets thing is way too much fun on a Friday night after a few glasses… tongue.gif
In the immortal words of Mr. Rodney King, can't we all just get along? There's plenty of self-absorbed, simpering whiny pricks to go around… wink.gif
Me, I just like to drink the green stuff.abs-cheers.gif
Stroller
It fookin' annoys me when shabba, hiram or some other fucktard admin decides to parse up a thread at WS. How about leavin' it readable? Too difficult for ya or does the overwhelming need to over-moderate, steer and control content take over?

Wait! I think I know the answer, no need to send a PM Shabba.

abs-cheers.gif
Grim
I really can't fuckin' stand Shabba.
Grim
QUOTE(Zman @ Jun 23 2011, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(G&C @ Jun 23 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Nasty mean perhaps.
But never just mean.

nono.gif

Why don't you quit being a little whore and come visit your home (FV) more… you know damn well the hugfest is getting old. We'll even give you a puppet to speak your mind…
Stroller
Dunno Zman man that well but I've always appreciated his ability to exercise discretion when posting. Boring as it may be..
Grim
Z is a way-good guy.
Stroller
Seems there needs to be a hugfest intervention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.