Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe in Russia before 1917?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Bruno Rygseck
I tried, once again, to correct some misconceptions about absinthe on a Finnish herb website claiming that "absinthe was banned [around 1915 it said], also in Finland" -- Finland was an autonomous part of Russia until 1917 -- but I could not find any data on absinthe ban in Russia/Finland. There was the Finnish prohibition and also a Russian/USSR prohibition (I think) before the Russian revolution, but I have not yet found anything mentioning absinthe in particular. Does someone have any information about this?

Artemis
Seems like Russia went dry in 1915 or even before:

http://www.ukrainebiz.com/Articles/prohibition.htm
Bruno Rygseck
They tried, because of WW1, it seems. But at least in Patricia Herlihy's book The Alcoholic Empire, Vodka & Politics in Late Imperial Russia, absinthe is not mentioned at all. I was so much pissed off by this particular comment on that website as to go to the National Library and get myself a library card so that I could borrow the book and educate myself (something good can come out of websites pissing people off).
Provenance
Russia has never gone dry. Perhaps the law did.
thegreenimp
The Russian ground crews were always good at siphoning out the alcohol out of the windshield de-icers on the Mig-25s, and replacing the alcohol with water.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jul 1 2011, 02:16 PM) *

They tried, because of WW1, it seems. But at least in Patricia Herlihy's book The Alcoholic Empire, Vodka & Politics in Late Imperial Russia, absinthe is not mentioned at all. I was so much pissed off by this particular comment on that website as to go to the National Library and get myself a library card so that I could borrow the book and educate myself (something good can come out of websites pissing people off).

Newspapers from around that time could be excellent sources for information with ads for wine/spirit stores etc.
I once found a finnish website with scans of lots of newspapers from around the country in the period of 1800 and up to early 1900's...
Bruno Rygseck
Thanks for the advice. Interesting reading as that Herlihy's book was, it did not touch the subject of absinthe ban more than mentioning the French and Swiss temperance leagues and their influence to similar movements in Russia -- I have to admit that I mostly skimmed through the text though (starting by looking for 'absinthe' in the index of course).

One reason why it is interesting whether or not there was a Finnish ban is that every now and then well preserved shipwrecks are located in the Baltic that carried some 'precious' cargo that had survived well in the depths of the cold sea. Or, some hidden storage behind a cellar wall in an old building might contain some liquid of interest… Of course such bottles belong in a museum and their dangerous contents should be safely disposed of
Jack Batemaster
Isn't Hartsmear and/or Sqertz from Finland?
Bruno Rygseck
They are near, I think. Gertz is from Denmark and Harts from Sweden.

Note to self: Plan a trip to Copenhagen and Malmö…

Provenance
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jul 22 2011, 10:42 AM) *

Isn't Hartsmear and/or Sqertz from Finland?

QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jul 22 2011, 11:58 AM) *

Gertz is from Denmark and Harts from Sweden.

Isn't that all the same country?
Bruno Rygseck
Sweden and Denmark are… well, culturally different..
Jack Batemaster
Aren't Sweden and Denmark in Finland?
Jack Batemaster
Crap, I'll be in Hamsterdamn in 2 weeks…that's definitely in Finland.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jul 22 2011, 11:58 AM) *

They are near, I think. Gertz is from Denmark and Harts from Sweden.

Note to self: Plan a trip to Copenhagen and Malmö…

That you should!
Jack Batemaster
I will be in Hamsterdamn in about a week and a half…isn't that real close?
Maldoror
OMG this conversation…. Maybe we should arrange a meeting on neutral ground f.ex. in Norway wink.gif
Bruno Rygseck
Good to see that Jack is now safely back from…Finland. Here's something that was new to me:

Swedish prohibition referendum 1922

Nice poster, that anti-prohibitionist Kräftor Kräva Dessa Drycker.
hartsmar
Yup, even Sweden thought that alcohol was a problem... who knew!?
Provenance
I thought it was the price of alcohol that's a problem in Sweden.
hartsmar
It is today... It wasn't then...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.