Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1892 U.S. magazine article on absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Marc Chevalier

An American perspective, circa 1892. It concedes that absinthe "may be valuable in cases of exhaustion or extreme fatigue". Whatever.

Donnie Darko
Interesting. That's the first time I've read of calamus or citronelle being used in any vintage recipe...unfortunately I doubt the magazine mentions their source for that info.
Absomphe
I have no doubt that calamus and citronelle were used in the creation of fin de siecle absinthe, any more than I would question an article claiming that pine buds were employed in the use of 19th century absinthe. As a people today we tend to pigeonhole everything, because we are "micro-obsessed" I firmly believe that herbs were employed liberally and sometimes even haphazardly in the name of flavor(not to mention in the name of "louchability" in the 19th century.
Provenance
A silvery thread connects poem to poet, originating at the crown of the head or the base of the spine; the poet has only to yank it gently to retrieve the poem, or, if the poem manages to slip free of the thread, snipping it with a prick of its teeth (Violet had so far only caught a glimpse of the teeth), the poet has only to retrace his steps in order to find it, has only to search the ocean floor or among the tops of trees, of course this may take years, or a lifetime; failing all else he may simply remove his hat, hold it upside down in front of him, and wait.
H. Tavel

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.