Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RueVerte has become Absinthes.com
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The Standard Deviant
I thought I should pop my head in here, it's been a while since I posted very much. I've now got a job in absinthe… a few months ago I started working for RueVerte, which as of yesterday is Absinthes.com

I'm reworking all the aspects of the site in English. Descriptions of absinthes, accessories, etc… so if anyone has suggestions, please do get in touch. I'm going to be working on some profiles of individual distilleries, should make for an interesting read.

Of course the really tough part of the job is having to go to places like Boveresse and Pontarlier.

Oh, and hello everyone!
Grim
Congratulations!
The Standard Deviant
Merci beaucoup, Grim!

If anyone is interested in a discount (actually, who isn't?), we'll have one to celebrate our new name and 5 years in the business. It'll go out soon for fans of our Facebook page, and subscribers to our newsletter (the sign up is on the right hand side of the front page on Absinthes.com).
Kirk
Congratulations!
Provenance
QUOTE(Grim @ Jul 7 2011, 04:24 AM) *
Congratulations!
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 7 2011, 05:37 AM) *
Congratulations!

What they said.
G&C
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 7 2011, 07:35 AM) *

Congratulations!
Congratulations!

What they said.

Indeed!
Absomphe
QUOTE(G&C @ Jul 7 2011, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 7 2011, 07:35 AM) *

Congratulations!
Congratulations!

What they said.

Indeed!

™!
Patlow
Cheers!
Jaded Prole
What they said.
Tibro
Seems like a good line of work to be in.
Jack Batemaster
het.gif
Zman
Excellent.
sixela
Just to stop the endless flow of congratulations (you'd think we're on another forum, with all the back-patting going on):

Profiteer™!

We still love you, but I can't say that out loud…
The Standard Deviant
I must admit, you've all taken me by surprise! I was expecting something more along the lines of sixela's reply, even if just to tease.

Something is clearly wrong!

Oh, and Jack has come out of the woodwork, how is the sour beer?
Tibro
Hey, there are jobs a whole lot worse than being a shill. These days it's just good to have work.
sixela
He can't be a shill given he's outed himself as a vendorProfiteer™.
The Standard Deviant
Just like Bogumil!
sixela
I wouldn't exactly compare you with Boggy, but yeah…

You want us to give you his stamp of assproval?
Absomphe
You definitely have my Asss(s)tamp Seal of Approval™, in any case.
The Standard Deviant
Hey, you look familiar!
Steve
TSD, your avatar needs a haircut.
Artemis
so if anyone has suggestions

I like the honest commentary on the Butterfly page (is it truly a reproduction of original Butterfly - probably not - no way to know for sure). Consumers would benefit from the same scrutiny applied to all products.

Nice website, lots of details - impressive.
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 8 2011, 06:52 PM) *

TSD, your avatar needs a haircut.

That's what the Swiss teenagers said.
Tibro
They're quite an opinionated lot. But hey, it's their home turf. They oughta have the ballz to speak up for themselves.
Jaded Prole
As long as they don't claim exclusive legitimacy.
Tibro
Teen-achers drink beer and shots. The world over.
Green Baron
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Jul 8 2011, 12:39 PM) *

As long as they don't claim exclusive legitimacy.

Ha!
sixela
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 8 2011, 08:28 PM) *

They're quite an opinionated lot. But hey, it's their home turf. They oughta have the ballz to speak up for themselves.

A couple of years ago, I'd have said that they sometimes have the udders to do so.
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 8 2011, 09:46 PM) *

Teen-achers drink beer and shots. The world over.

A girl there saw I was drinking absinthe, pulled a disgusted face and said something to the same effect.
Bruno Rygseck
Congratulations, Standard! I hope we can get the Sauvage soon!
Grim
Read a wee bit of the response from WS on the website (absinthes.com)…

I perused each of the options under "Our Selections". Didn't see the crap I expected to run face-first into by the tone of the discussion… in fact, there's a really decent variety of things going on. But nothing American.

Which led me to this: I wonder how much of an unspoken defense of American absinthes against the European option is rearing its head in these forums (granted, there is shit-absinthe on absinthes.com, but that's besides my point).

At the heart of things, I don't find the American absinthe scene really living up to the claims it has established on WS; more a cult of personality kind of effect whereby the folks that drive the direction of forum discussion (authoritatively) assume the accolades and the right to direct favor and preference. Oh, excuse me, the folks that steer the course do so with the utmost, apologetic and indifferent detachment one should expect from a respectable and inclusive venue… n'est-ce pas?

At the same time I wonder how much of the new European scene is being missed for this hope of saving change/coin (especially on shipping fees) by hunting after MOL, Pacific, Marteau, (now) Ridge Verte, et al… the absinthes made by forum American personalities that command the American WS scene.

It's a very kind discourse between the forum heavies in the public eye, so I'm not advocating a colder exchange, just wanting to have earnest discussion on the sense of things by the fora regulars/personalities… or anyone for that matter.

Where this sale-site is concerned, any comparison to Alandia is misplaced. The people backing it are sound. The venture is nascent. There are a good deal of commercial products available that are the best to be had from across the pond (but don't hold a candle to the best HG… Boo-yah!). Why the piss and vitriol?
Tibro
I'm not a regular reader of the WS forum, but if this about creating a little cross-forum pollination, well, I did go to see specifically what you're referring to. Because I think you have some interesting points.

QUOTE(Grim @ Jul 13 2011, 09:22 AM) *

At the heart of things, I don't find the American absinthe scene really living up to the claims it has established on WS;

You'll have to clarify what you see as the "claims it has established" though. I get the big picture, but are there more nuanced points to it?

Anyway, at the recent fete in Boveresse, which also serves as a nexus for FV members, I found it interesting that fellow attendees repeatedly referred to FV as "the international forum". Not "the international English-language forum". Not "the biggest and best" or some such hyperbole. Just an acknowledgment that this is where the international community comes to compare notes. There's always an American "delegation" in Boveresse. Sometimes bigger, sometimes not so bigger. And then a lot of people from all over Europe. Speaking English usually, but also not unusually authorities from absinthe fora in their native countries. Nothing pretentious about it, seems like a natural outgrowth of and respect for the resources and experience that are gathered here.

Does Hiram still run his for-profit WS gatherings? Did they ever draw on or interest the international community? Or has Shabba taken over the get-together planning for the east coast and Joe Legate for the mountain coast? Are these functions international? Honest questions I don't have an answer to.

I see some crooning over on WS about it being no. one, but I don't really see it respected that way by the international authorities. My impression is that it's trumped-up from the inside, but maybe I don't read there enough. On the other hand I'm pretty sure Joe Legate is unapologetic about lacking any motivation to join this forum, in spite of whatever respect for it he may espouse. Seems a bit provincial for a member of their advisory board.

Just a few quick observations. I hope I didn't miss the real point. Because if it's just about commercial markets, there's not a real symmetry there. Maybe absinthe is just another rock and roll victim. European bands have crafted their music in English for a long time to crack the American market. I mean, how many records can a Czech singer sell if only Czechs understand his words?

Grim
No, I would be compelled to avoid making more specific statements, lest what I meant to say be mistook as some kind of bitter chastisement of what every maker does on these boards; varying degrees of shilling.

I think the machinations at WS are a little more flourished, systematic and tellingly more organized in the way the vested interests have gone about it. Which is not to say FV is guiltless and disenfranchised from commercial interests.

But at WS, you often see the directing of interested buyers to American absinthe in an "aw shucks, why pay that much on shipping when you can just go to (insert Stateside Vendor)… but Euro-absinthe is good stuff."

So that's what I'm wondering, would the shilling knights of absinthe education more readily accept Absinthes.com if it were a US venture with US brands on deck? Would, then, the casual, rational, evenhandedness instead win out with more earnest comments like "well obviously, though there are vestiges of poor absinthes that still manage to occur on the site, the premium absinthes now dominate… and David Nathan-Maister and his team are behind it… and he was collecting absinthiana before I even became a member of internet absinthe forums, yet alone an important figure on the (internet) Advisory Board…"
Jack Batemaster
What's with all the pompousassedness?
sixela
House style? When in Rome,…
Grim
I mean let's be honest, the first time I tried a Pacifique (American absinthe; deeply entwined with WS) and the first time I had BdJ (Euro-sinthe, deeply entwined with FV) I was like, am I mssing something here? Because to hear each of these absinthes discussed in the comfort of their nest/home-forum was like hearing Absomphe talk about Verte de Fougerolles in 2004… we need to be a) less compelled as fora participants to give out hometeam advantages; and b) less tolerant of the soft shill. Does that mean that vendors should not participate in absinthe discussion - no. But I think it is to consumers extreme disadvantage to make the most educated decisions where the politics of internet-absinthe-forum-business is so well disguised or inserted in the forum experience.

The goal of giving absinthe a fair treatment means there should be certain barriers that are respected between brand advocacy and the forum experience. If you heed what you say in honest reflection over a product for fear of offending the forum-host, your participation is more akin to visiting a tasting, an industry or trade event… nodding mindlessly in acceptance of what the rep has to describe for you. And that, my friends, is nowhere the experience of simply enjoying an absinthe.
G&C
The belle epoque this is not…
Nor will it ever be.

Drink your absinthe.
It's good for you.
Grim
QUOTE(sixela @ Jul 13 2011, 09:20 AM) *

House style? When in Rome,…

Hah, yeah… Read the comments there and see what forum-style I was channeling. JBM picked up on it accidentally.
Jack Batemaster
It's snow accident.
Provenance
QUOTE(Grim @ Jul 13 2011, 08:33 AM) *
I think the machinations at WS are a little more flourished, systematicly censorious and tellingly more [deleted] in the way the vested interests there have gone about it.

I'm glad to see this thread cleaned up, thanks mods!
Artemis
I understand, I think, most of the points Grim is trying to make, but he's all over the place.

It helps if we can follow the dots.

Grim, did this come out of reading the Rue Verte thread at WWS, and the Absinthejack thread that was apparently part of it but got separated?
Jack Batemaster
"AbsintheJack" hehe
Artemis
Suspicious character, to be sure.
Jack Batemaster
:snicker:
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 13 2011, 11:47 AM) *
the Absinthejerk thread

Glad that H has his own thread.
Tibro
Are you saying the "AbsintheJack" got put somewhere where it doesn't show? Because I can't follow those dots.
Grim
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 13 2011, 11:47 AM) *

I understand, I think, most of the points Grim is trying to make, but he's all over the place.

Yes I am… head's foggy for reasons you know.

And yes, came from reading those threads.
Artemis
Sorry, after reading Grim's posts here, I just went there and used the "new posts" function (for which you have to sign in, just like here, only here I stay signed in), and both threads appeared, along with other stuff I haven't read. I notice now that the Absinthejack thread is categorized in a different section than the RueVerte thread. Maybe it's just a matter of signing in (for which you have to be a member, obviously). It could be a section for which you have to have special permission in addition to being signed in - I wasn't aware that I had any such special permission there, but that could be the case, too.

Basically, if I understood it correctly, Absinthejack had jumped into the Rueverte thread and made some noise about them being treated by WWS with deference that wasn't accorded to some other commercial site (Alandia, I think).
Tibro
And that's cause for cauterizing the thread?
Stroller
The Lord™ works in mysterious ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.