Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Effect of Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Dr Magnan's Lab
Pages: 1, 2
Bruno Rygseck
Duplais always makes me hungry. How's the aperitif effect of absinthe for you?
Bruno Rygseck
Absinthe doesn't make you trip ballz, but in the long run makes them harder for you to see.

Edit: I meant, your toes, of course.
Jack Batemaster
It pretty much turns regular, nice people into completely obsessed assheads…
Provenance
You used to be a regular, nice person?
Jack Batemaster
So did you!
Provenance
Really? Wow. That's news to me.
Artemis
I never noticed any appetite-enhancing.

But I just had a long conversation about this with someone I trust. When I begin to doubt some of the stuff I've maintained for years, I'll run it by him and if he agrees, I know I'm onto something.

There is a very definite absinthe effect. It's there to some degree in some absinthes. It visibly manifests itself by what I call the thousand-mile stare. It's very obvious in all the best old paintings of absintheurs. The one on the cover of Conrad's book is a prime example. This happens to me after a few sips of a certain HG. I can see it in fellow drinkers. This HG is not the only example, but it's one on which I can count to produce that effect. It is a marker of authenticity for me. Some absinthes produce this effect, as I said, but no other liquor EVER does.

Combine this with the fact that certain absinthe can't be sold in the U.S. because it doesn't pass certain tests. There isn't necessarily a correspondence here, but for sure, the maker of the HG doesn't give a shit about tests and it doesn't have to pass any. Commercial makers admit to compromises .....

So, are all the unwashed miscreants that go on about what is or what is not "the real shit" on various forums (but get beat down when they visit the better ones, and deservedly so, because even if they're right, it's by accident) right, but (probably) for the wrong reasons?
Provenance
Interesting. I've never noticed any such effect myself, not even after drinking preban. On the other hand, maybe I exhibit the "thousand-mile stare" after drinking. Who would notice? It's not like there would be any difference.
Artemis
There is an altered state of consciousness that I associate in myself with the stare. No other liquor has ever produced it. It's difficult to describe. Ted's "Lucid" label is an obvious reference to it. It's a very subtle thing - it's not like cannabis or anything like that.

Good points, though, Provenance - it's a difficult thing to nail down.
Provenance
It's an interesting issue. There are a few non-commericial absinthes that do result in a pleasing effect. I wouldn't call it a stare but that may be purely a matter of description. Or it could be a different subjective impression of the same bio-chemical effect. I agree that any such effects are subtle and unique.

Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Provenance @ Jul 15 2011, 02:21 PM) *

Really? Wow. That's news to me.

That's another "effect." Severe memory loss.
Jaded Prole
I've seen Provenance with his eyes rolled back but that's only a 50 yard stare.

I agree with Arte though. I'd describe it as a slightly heightened visual aesthetic awareness. An appreciation of the beauty all around us. The only commercial absinthe I've ever gotten it from were Deva (yes, the cheap electric green stuff) and Helfrich. Mostly, I get it from HG if I haven't had any Absinthe in a week or so or if it particularly potent in that way. I think some are more likely to experience it that others based on genetic sensetivities.

Provenance
I don't remember any memory loss.
Jaded Prole
You need to take a trip down memory loss lane. The pictures are there.
Tibro
Booze in general makes me hongry. If I drink enough of it. Over a prolonged period of time. And hope to keep drinking more.

Someday I might try absinthe, but I heard it makes you crazy.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jul 15 2011, 02:37 PM) *

That's another "effect." Severe memory loss.

Who? sleepy.gif
Jaded Prole

Someday I might try absinthe, but I heard it makes you crazy.

You got nothin' to worry about.
Jack Batemaster
Any booze makes me hungry, as well. Even beer even.
Jack Batemaster
I still maintain that it makes one "crazy." Not in the traditional "crazy," but "crazy" nonetheless…
Jaded Prole
I can identify with that.
Tibro
Worrying is not really something I worry about.
Bruno Rygseck
I agree. It made me to think that I can speak and write English, or even surf French websites. Ajouter a panier.
Jack Batemaster
Instead, be happy or have a homebrew or whatever the expression is…
Grim
It can also turn you into a Lounge Whore.

Then one day you wake up in Las Vegas and have to pretend you enjoy living there.
Jack Batemaster
Or totally insignificant and never'll amount to anything…
Grim
Or totally insignificant and over 27, correct.
Jack Batemaster
thus, never'll amount to anything.
Jaded Prole
Or a puppet master with no real personality handing out worthless autographs to drunken pygmy lap dancers at 3:00 a.m at weird geezer parties.
Jack Batemaster
True story, but I really was on MTV in the 1990s.
Grim
But that's also insignificunt… hence the truth is still the truth.
Jack Batemaster
But at least it was before I was 27,
Jaded Prole
That long ago?
Absinthesizer
There's a five-year-old post by moi about the absinthe effect.

The most relevant part:
… Our senses are not heightened when we drink absinthe.

But our sensibilities are. The world doesn’t look different when the green fairy visits; it’s just that the same old world looks more interesting. My wife and I both become more visually engaged — admiring the modeling of a shadow, the curve of of a branch on the jade plant, the glint of light through an ice-cube. It makes perfect sense that artists liked absinthe. Heck, it makes me wish I could paint.

This doesn't always occur, but it's fairly frequent and it's still one of my favorite things about absinthe.
Jack Batemaster
It's all in your head, Mental Case™.

Or xould I say, "Asshead."
Grim
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jul 15 2011, 03:01 PM) *

But at least it was before I was 27,

Yeah but you're still pushing 40, so being less insignificant then doesn't make you any less of a crotchety bastard now.
Jack Batemaster
PTFA!!! The Absinthe did that… to me…
G&C
Me thinks it only amplified it…
Jack Batemaster
You might be right, but I've forgotten.
Absinthesizer
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ Jul 15 2011, 05:10 PM) *

It's all in your head, Mental Case™.

Well, duh.
Artemis
The thing I'm talking about is not a matter of visual effects. It takes place before any senses engage any outside stimuli. It's something I feel inside. It's the green fairy saying "I'm here". I never checked it in a mirror, but I'm confident it accompanies the onset of the stare. When I see the stare on others, I know the fairy has come calling. It's really not that subtle, either. She knocks with a hammer in some cases. But it's a fudge hammer. She doesn't come to flirt with hogs at the trough, either. Keep drinking, and it's soon a matter of drunks looking and feeling like drunks.

Voila, la marteau lourde et les clous subtil.
sixela
You sound like my son when he wants to say "le marteau lourd et les clous légers". It pains me to see that he's clueless at learning French even though I'm actually French-speaking.

I know, that wasn't subtle.

Artemis
Maybe he would appreciate the significance in this instance of a female (green fairy, get it?) hammer, and unlike you, has read the poem, written by a French speaker, that includes the words "clous subtil" verbatim. But if he shows any further signs of thinking outside the box, by all means try to embarrass him in front of his friends. Or better, just break his fingers. Why should you be the only one in pain?
Kirk
I thinks it's a matter of the hammer and the vice.
Alcohol loosens you up, may make you hungry, good tasting herbs may make you hungry.
Tastes come and go, some of them bring back memories. Your taste buds and your memories together are the hammer and the vice. Fuel and food. Or a position and a place to put it.
Some settling may occur.
grey boy
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 15 2011, 06:39 PM) *

it's a fudge hammer.

Absinthe at The Cuff™.
Grim
Don't threaten me with a good time.
grey boy
I miss you.
Grim
Ditto, kiddo.

I'll be on your coast some time in November. Where've you been?!
sixela
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 16 2011, 01:38 AM) *

by all means try to embarrass him in front of his friends.

He doesn't need my help at all. He's got a knack for it, just like his father does.

Jack Batemaster
Masculine, Feminine…what about Androgynous french?
sixela
No such thing in French. Everything under the sun (male) and the moon (female) has to pick sides -- sorry, pick a side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.