Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A stunning HG
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Under the Bridge
sbmac
A mystery HG found its way to me via new FV friends; the maker is a man of few words and great knowledge it seems. My perception of what is possible in absinthe has certainly been modified, and I will hold them to a higher standard. I feel honored and fortunate to have had the opportunity.

This absinthe was bold, juicy, powerful, yet smooth and sophisticated. One of the greatest colors neat I've seen.
Delicious and balanced, with a layered flavor and finish, a discreet, warm brandy base…rich mouthfeel with tingle, pull, and linger….While drinking it, nary a sexy dame would've turned my head. Damn. It's empty. no.gif
Donnie Darko
Yep, that's what happens.
Absomphe
Indeed.

Absinthe epiphany.
sbmac
Don't get me wrong… I have several friends who are commercial distillers, and their journey is hard and dedicated. I don't mean in any way that it is fair to compare a small run of staggeringly good HG to the challenges of producing large quantities of consistently great commercial absinthe. I can only imagine how different the two must be.

Provenance
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Aug 6 2011, 05:34 AM) *
Absinthe epiphany.

What he said.
Steve
That absinthe is one of the best things I've ever tasted. An epiphany even for someone as jaded as moi.
Jaded Prole
You guys are making my mouth water. Does this mysterious HG have a name?

I could use an epiphany.
Patlow
Me too! I'm bored with my absinthe cabinet right now. Although the Sauvage I am looking forward to.

sbmac
Good reason indeed… It's good stuff.
Artemis
Why is this under the bridge?

Who's trolling?
sbmac
Hey Artemis, I assumed this thread was for logged on members, and didn't want to mention it in a public way…
I did that once elsewhere, and was corrected/warned (in a friendly way), and thought it best to be careful. Is this an issues with you guys, or are you more open about such discussions? Also, it seems the "under the bridge" is not a "sign in to see it" thread anyway… Well, that's why….Great shot of the Kirk's elephant's trunk in the other thread BTW!
G&C
Rule #4.
Provenance
It's not just HG that should never be mentioned, no absinthe should ever be discussed. It's all naughty.
sbmac
Ok, I could have sworn I've seen others talking about it here, but please, if need be, please edit the thread title, and change the required initials to "absinthe."
Absomphe
QUOTE(Provenance @ Aug 12 2011, 07:57 AM) *

It's not just HG that should never be mentioned or no absinthe that should ever be discussed, as a matter of decorum, no absinthe forum should even exist. It's all naughty.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Aug 6 2011, 06:34 AM) *

Absinthe epiphany.

Just like I'm experiencing at this very moment.
Kirk
QUOTE(sbmac @ Aug 6 2011, 01:59 PM) *

Don't get me wrong… I have several friends who are commercial distillers, and their journey is hard and dedicated. I don't mean in any way that it is fair to compare a small run of staggeringly good HG to the challenges of producing large quantities of consistently great commercial absinthe. I can only imagine how different the two must be.

It's no harder to produce a lot of good absinthe than it is a little, 'cept for all the work and the added expense of using quality herbs. There are those who say that the law will not allow them to make good absinthe, that also is not true.
Provenance
In addition to the Work™ and the Herbs,™ producing a great absinthe takes KnowHow™
Tibro
KnowHow™ and YouKnowWho™, a perfect team with YouKnowWhat™.
sbmac
After the recent samples I was fortunate enough to enjoy, quite a few of the commercials I have simply don't cut it for me anymore. They will go out on the table at tasting parties, and hopefully become empty. Most are drinkable, but not great. The bar has certainly been raised. I'd like to think that absinthe's comeback is in its toddler stage, and that there is room for improvement, growth, and paradigm shifts. Perhaps as (if) people's awareness grows, more commercial producers might do something about this, and step things up. I won't hold my breath however.
Provenance
Hope you've got some electricity by now to go with the absinthe.
sbmac
Thanks, yes. Power came back on yesterday, after 5 days off. I had forgotten the shocking evilness of cold showers.

I always had ice though, and to be honest, having great absinthe while off the grid, via candlelight on the front porch, was pretty nice.
G&C
Unless it's 30° below freezing…

Good thing it's warm summer weather.
Tibro
Hurricanes have their season, and freezin' ain't it.
G&C
Earthquakes don't care how cold it is.
Tibro
They name earthquakes now?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.