Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: greetings from finland
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
delirium
Hi,

I've been recently interested in the world of absinthe and found this site. Lots of helpful information here.

When I first heard of absinthe years ago it was the sinister reputation as hallusinogen that got me interested. Now that I've read a bit deeper it's the history and culture of the drink that fascinates me.

I've only tasted two brands that apparently can't be considered as absinthe (Pere Kermann's & Rodnik's) Judging from what I've read, there's only one brand worth experimenting here in Finland accessible, which is Francois Guy. Or maybe I'll make an online order. While saving money I may keep sipping the Rodnik's. What the hell, at least it has alcohol in it.

Anyway.
OCvertDe
Welcome. It sounds like online is going to be the way to go for you.
Kirk
I used to drink F. Guy.
Tibro
I used to know a Finn.

No, not Mickey.
G&C
A good friend of mine went to school with Mickey Finn.
Bruno Rygseck
Tervetuloa!
hartsmar
Welcome! Get something better to drink.
The Standard Deviant
Welcome to the real (absinthe) world. Have too many drinks and you'll be in a delirium!
delirium
QUOTE(hartsmar)
Welcome! Get something better to drink.

Planning to do so. I've been browsing the collection of reviews and buyers guide at this website. Very helpful stuff.
delirium
It only took me this long to gather the money and to make the order. I'm through the first initiation and pass the point of no return, I think. After browsing the guides I ended up ordering Kübler 53 which I though would be suitable for my budget and easy enough first taste. The main difference to the so called "absinthes" I have tasted before was that this one was really enjoyable and while with the previous ones I had to fight to get them swallowed, this time I had to fight not to drink the whole bottle right away. Really enjoyable drink.
The Standard Deviant
You should try DuVallon, Clandestine, Elixir du Pays des Fées, Blanchette, Sevil. Then eat something to soak up the alcohol a bit.
delirium
I got to taste Mansinthe too. The taste of the herbs was stronger. I will definitely make a new order for something other later.
The Standard Deviant
Looks like there is no hope, you're deep into the absinthe thing now : )
delirium
Sure. I had to make an order for a new bottle and some equipment. I got to try my new fountain with some Jade Edouard. I must admit that the taste is more diverse and challening than the previous ones I have tasted. I guess it's the wormwood, the bitter taste that pushes through. This needs some getting used to as I did like the simple anis taste of Kübler - it was easy and nice.
sardonix
Kubler's a pretty basic absinthe, not very complex. It's a good one to get your feet wet, so to speak, and at least it's authentic, unlike some of the crap out there.
You've taken a huge step forward with the Jade.
Tibro
Actually, Kubler is terribly flawed and pretty vile. Simple, yes, but that just means there's nowhere for the flaws to hide.
sardonix
…But not as flawed or vile as Kermann's or Rodnik's…flawed, yes, but too "blah" to actually be vile…

Tibro
Next you'll suggest that leporine feces is not as objectionable as murine scat.
Jaded Prole
Now there's a man that knows his xit.

Not that I don't fancy a bit of scat myself.
sardonix
Well, I suppose they both have their pros and cons…
Tibro
That's just plain bullxit.
Provenance
QUOTE(Jaded Prole @ Jan 2 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Not that I don't fancy a bit of scat myself.

Now that's my kind of scat.
Bruno Rygseck
Delirium: In case you're in Turku, the museum shop of Aboa Vetus sells great little replica schnapsglasses from the 18th century. The container is about 1cl and works really well with absinthe. Price is around 10 Euros apiece, though.

http://www.scanglas.se/admin/pdf/H2011_15.pdf top row, second from left.

http://www.aboavetusarsnova.fi/en
delirium
Thanks for the tip. I'm not around there, but I'll keep that in mind if I happen to visit there.

You drink absinthe with schnapsglasses?

Btw. No that I've been tasting the Jade Edouard every now and then I've noticed not only one gets used to the taste but I have really learned to like and thirst for it.
Bruno Rygseck
Not usually, but this replica schnapsglass is almost like a scaled-down Pontarlier absinthe glass. If you fill the bulb with well louching absinthe and slowly add cold water until the glass is full you get very nice swirling effects. It's too small for regular drinking, of course, about 5 cl of ready-made drink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.