Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Face Palm*
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Brett
So after 11 or so years of me buying various absinthes and inviting friends to try them, a metal-head turned goth turn steampunk friend of mine finally decided to buy his own absinthe. This is a guy who'd been invited to try any of my absinthes since I'd been buying them, but for some reason never took me up on the offer. He knew that he could get them online, and he knew that I could recommend places…but he went out and bought a bottle of La Fee. Sure, everyone has to start somewhere, but the facepalm moment came one of his friends started commenting on his status about buying La Fee…stuff about hallucinogenic properties, etc. The level of ignorance makes me feel like its 2000 again! I should just let people be happy buying Czechsinthe or La Fee and let them have their delusions about tripping ballz.
ellen
QUOTE(Brett @ Nov 30 2011, 05:27 AM) *

So after 11 or so years of me buying various absinthes and inviting friends to try them, a metal-head turned goth turn steampunk friend of mine finally decided to buy his own absinthe. This is a guy who'd been invited to try any of my absinthes since I'd been buying them, but for some reason never took me up on the offer. He knew that he could get them online, and he knew that I could recommend places…but he went out and bought a bottle of La Fee. Sure, everyone has to start somewhere, but the facepalm moment came one of his friends started commenting on his status about buying La Fee…stuff about hallucinogenic properties, etc. The level of ignorance makes me feel like its 2000 again! I should just let people be happy buying Czechsinthe or La Fee and let them have their delusions about tripping ballz.

The steampunk world would have a natural affinity for real absinthe if it were marketed to them. My silver-plated, teeter-totter brouilleur is the ultimate steampunk gizmo - all the better for the fact that it is historical.

Really, the absinthe sellers should start sending posters to these bars.
Kirk
Please don't quote the post above you.
Brett
On the plus side, I was able to educate one of the commentors on my friend's Facebook wall, so at least someone is willing to accept that much of what they know is a myth or misinformation. As for my friend - he as yet to chime in. Probably too busy trying to convince himself he's "feeling the effects."
The Standard Deviant
Are you sure you have been preparing your absinthe right? I just read this on Youtube:

[…] what people don't understand is that they also use to drip Arsenic on the sugar cube before you light it. I have tried it this way with Absinthe from Progue. I'm not sure of the ppm.gif levels but I know it was very high plus with the Arsenic (Do not try this it can kill you) was very intense. I didn't remember anything for two days….
Tibro
Makes sense to me, especially with the historic alpine connection.

In small amounts, though, white arsenic is said to be good for you; it stimulates the production of red blood cells. Once taken as a nutritional supplement in Alpine countries, it supposedly gave people ruddy complexions and increased their ability to work.
Brett
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 1 2011, 04:51 AM) *

Makes sense to me, especially with the historic alpine connection.

In small amounts, though, white arsenic is said to be good for you; it stimulates the production of red blood cells. Once taken as a nutritional supplement in Alpine countries, it supposedly gave people ruddy complexions and increased their ability to work.

Ruddy complexion, that explains why I came back with a long-last reddness in my face after 7 months in South West Asia…it was probably all the arsenic in the food! Damned developing countries.
The Standard Deviant
More likely syphilis or malaria.
sbmac
Or not having your pants pulled up.
Brett
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Dec 5 2011, 07:51 AM) *

More likely syphilis or malaria.

They had pills for the malaria, with a long list of awesome psychological side-effects…none of which I was fortunate enough to experience.

There was also a disclaimer stating that if you experienced any of the psychological side-effects, it was probably just a sign of a larger issue, so don't blame the pills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.