Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the News
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Provenance
Jailed Afghan rape victim freed but 'to marry attacker'

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has pardoned a rape victim who was jailed for adultery, after she apparently agreed to marry her attacker.

A government statement said she agreed to the marriage, although her lawyer said she did not wish to marry him.

The woman, named as Gulnaz, gave birth in prison to a daughter who has been kept in jail with her.

State Department Comment on Afghan Rape Survivor Gulnaz

Question Taken at the November 22, 2011 Daily Press Briefing

Question: What is the State Department comment regarding reports that Afghan rape survivor Gulnaz is faced with the choice of incarceration or marriage to her rapist? What does this say about the rule of law in Afghanistan?

Answer: Gulnaz’s situation is one no woman should have to face. Our heartfelt condolences go out to Gulnaz and her young daughter.

The Law for the Elimination of Violence Against Women was a major advancement for the rights of women in Afghanistan; but without full training and implementation, situations such as this one will continue to occur. We expect Afghan prosecutors to properly apply the law while also upholding Gulnaz’s rights. The United States and its international partners will continue to work with the Afghan government to promote country-wide rights-based training for lawyers, prosecutors and judges, increase public awareness about women’s rights, and engage with men and boys to make them partners in social justice.
G&C
It's a good thing we've finally brought them freedom and democracy!
Donnie Darko
It's a too slow and very painful process. As long as cultural traditions there favor female slavery and abuse, then law enforcement will have a hard time enacting justice for women. That being said, things there are "somewhat better" than before. Before, she would have been executed, nobody outside of Afghanistan or even probably outside her village would have known about it, and that would have been considered acceptable. She would have been executed if she tried to learn to read. She would have been executed if she tried to do pretty much anything aside from be an illiterate fuck doll slave, which is all women are to Islamic radicals. So in some sick way, this is better. While we abolished slavery in 1865, Blacks weren't legally recognized as human beings until 100 years later, so we have an intimate local example of how a very bloody war and subsequent changes in legislation do not result in social justice overnight. Progress takes time (in Afghanistan's case it will take a very long time), and while Afghanistan is an unholy mess now, at least it's not the totalitarian genocide machine it was in the 90s.
G&C
…™
Donnie Darko
…?™
Donnie Darko
Then again, you don't have to look all the way to Afghanistan to find such despicable occurrences:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation…article2230097/

Tibro
True, humanity is not always so humane. We can study the behavior of animals in the wild and record atrocities in other species with objectivity. But our developed brains, our consciousness and ability to reflect on "right" and "wrong" is supposed to raise us above the feral behavior of wild animals.

We are not the only species to exhibit behaviors laden with acts that speak both of compassion and guilt. But we can't communicate with other species. We can communicate among ourselves. We can know and agree on communal standards. And the community, the tribes, share more and contribute acts, words and ideas towards a common definition of the human species daily. Daily our world shrinks. No tribe can remain isolated. No behavior beyond scrutiny.

Words are our stones. Actions our axes. Ideas our altars.

We need to build and hew and plan for our collective preservation.
Donnie Darko
Communist.
Tibro
A lonely position most days.
Jaded Prole
Less lonely as many awaken to the reality of a failing sham system.
Tibro
All systems are human constructs and subject to failure. We're not quite like ants where the collective is everything. Individuality is an important part of our experience. The more of us there are the more people there are with monkey wrenches.
Kirk
Or torque wrenches.
Tibro
Or torches.
sbmac
Who could heed the words of Charlie Darwin
Fighting for a system built to fail.
Spooning water from their broken vessels,
As far as I can see there is no land.
sbmac
Who could heed the words of Charlie Darwin, fighting for a system built to fail
Spooning water from their broken vessels, as far as I can see there is no land…

A moving a beautiful performance:

Low Anthem
Artemis
Pretty good.

Jools has probably the best of the live music TV shows. I saw Squeeze live in NOLA late in the 70s when Jools played keyboards for them. He knows his stuff. Elvis Costello was on the same bill. It was satisfactory.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 4 2011, 03:08 AM) *

Communist.

Muppet. Oh, wait, according to a reliable source that's the same.
sbmac
Sorry about the double post guys. I don't know what the Hell is wrong…too easily distracted and over-tired I suppose.

Here's one that I just had to share:

News
Artemis
That's fucking brilliant. I actually laughed out loud several times. Finally a realistic view of the "news".
thegreenimp
But left the question unanswered, Did the Bear ____ in the woods, or the lawn?
Jaded Prole
It's better journalism than most I've seen recently. The more terrible and depressing the real news gets, the more BS gets covered -- even with big letters on the front page of the paper much less days of repetitive TV coverage. Things like "Kitten rescued from pipe" and "Poor children get cute toys" . . .
Donnie Darko
The Onion never ceases to knock me out of my chair with laughter. What's even more amazing (or sad) is that basically all they did was take actual news footage and overdub their own dialog.

And in doing so they made the story much more accurate.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.