Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from L.A.!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > The Entrance Hall
ShantJ
Hello there gentlemen (and ladies?). My name is Shant.

I've never actually had absinthe, but I love the mystique around it. I do like anise-flavored drinks, particularly arak.

Is there a "good" variety for a beginner?

Cheers!
Artemis
There are more bad than good, for beginners and everybody else. But in general you can trust the recommendations you may get here.

And welcome.
ShantJ
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 8 2011, 05:37 PM) *

There are more bad than good, for beginners and everybody else. But in general you can trust the recommendations you may get here.

And welcome.

Thanks for the welcome!

I hope there are many good experiences to come.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(ShantJ @ Dec 8 2011, 06:38 PM) *

I've never actually had absinthe, but I love the mystique around it. I do like anise-flavored drinks, particularly arak.

Cheers!

Welcome person from LA.
Beginner's absinthe is made by beginner absinthe makers. You don't want that.
Get Meadow of Love, Leopold, Pacifique or the upcoming Blues Cat in the US. I think Vieux Pontarlier is also good, though some aren't crazy about it. It's simple, but I think it is still good quality with lovely wormwood. If you can get your hands on anything made by Stefano Rossini L'Ancienne I or II or L'Italienne or Grenoulle, those are really distinguished absinthes. As for other imports, there's too many new ones these days for me to keep track of, but generally Pernot's products are the best thing coming out of Europe.
ShantJ
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 8 2011, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ShantJ @ Dec 8 2011, 06:38 PM) *

Cheers!

Welcome person from LA.
Beginner's absinthe is made by beginner absinthe makers. You don't want that.
Get Meadow of Love, Leopold, Pacifique or the upcoming Blues Cat in the US. I think Vieux Pontarlier is also good, though some aren't crazy about it. It's simple, but I think it is still good quality with lovely wormwood. If you can get your hands on anything made by Stefano Rossini L'Ancienne I or II or L'Italienne or Grenoulle, those are really distinguished absinthes. As for other imports, there's too many new ones these days for me to keep track of, but generally Pernot's products are the best thing coming out of Europe.

That's exactly what I was considering. I'll likely go with that, then. Thanks!
Provenance
Please don't quote the post directly above your own.
ShantJ
My apologies.
Tibro
Welcome.
Bruno Rygseck
Welcome. There are several good U.S. brands on the market, I have understood… and maybe one day get to taste…
ShantJ
I'll keep an eye out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.