Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe and Dreams
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
ellen
After a few months of "experimentation" I have come to the conclusion that absinthe apparently enhances my ability to remember dreams. I am usually poor at dream recall. Other members of the Artemisia genus, especially mugwort, also seem to have this effect but to a lesser extent.

I would be very interested to learn whether others have had similar experiences. I think there may be some intriguing herbal neurochemistry at work.
Absomphe
I find my absinthe enhanced dreams to be particularly vivid and bizarre, but then again, Nyquil™ usually produces the same effects.
Artemis
Same flavor as well.
sbmac
Most of us only remember a small portion of our dreams, and mainly the ones we have at the lighter, closer to waking levels. I find the dreams I recall after several glasses of absinthe are less weird and abstract, in fact.
Who knows however, about the ones I don't remember. They could be skin-peelingly weird, though my dreams before ever drinking absinthe were usually a cross between H.H. Giger, Hustler, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Hard to imagine absinthe making dreams more fucked up than that. I was recently accused by my wife of talking in my sleep in French…perhaps there is something going on.
thegreenimp
I keep having the same dream
Tibro
I had a dream once.

Once and for all.
delirium
My fav subject, dreams. For me, intoxicants worsen the quality of sleep and dream recall.
Brett
There's been inconclusive reports that eating ~20g of Stilton about a half hour before bed time will cause "disturbed" or vivid dreams.

I can't say that it works for me, and I also can't say that absinthe affects my dreams (generally the alcohol just knocks me out and kills enough brain cells for me to forget any dreams). Of course, neither did the anti-malarials with their hyped up promises of vivid and hyper-real dreams.

That said - maybe knocking back a few glasses with a plate of Stilton might really kick start the brain.
delirium
Could that be because of high amounts of tryptophan in the cheese?
sbmac
Stilton and Hills.

PWH
Absomphe
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 16 2011, 10:40 AM) *

Same flavor as well.

Indeed.

If only it louched.
Artemis
... cheese ... will cause "disturbed" or vivid dreams

Welsh Rarebit is legendary in this regard. I remember it from Gomer Pyle. Gomer, after eating the cheese, would sleepwalk and bully Sgt. Carter.

http://malibummm.blogspot.com/2009/09/can-...rebit-test.html
Donnie Darko
I had a dream that I was eating a pillow and when I woke up my giant marshmallow was gone.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 17 2011, 04:05 PM) *

… cheese … will cause "disturbed" or vivid dreams

Welsh Rarebit is legendary in this regard. I remember it from Gomer Pyle. Gomer, after eating the cheese, would sleepwalk and bully Sgt. Carter.

http://malibummm.blogspot.com/2009/09/can-…rebit-test.html

My favorite episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDnFMJRDoIk
Tibro
I wish, just sometimes, I could write with his specific intonations.

Is there a pictograph-thing for that?
Kirk
We need to change the pork-chop filter to Stilton or rarebit.
I have vivid dreams when I don't drink. Kicking any habit throws me into a somnambulistic state of ecstasy.
I always did walk and talk in my sleep but nothing compared to when I short myself of any habituals.
Provenance
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 17 2011, 03:40 PM) *
I had a dream that I was eating a pillow and when I woke up my giant marshmallow was gone.

I had a dream like that once but I woke depressed, feeling down in the mouth.
Poe
'On St. Luke's Day, take marigold flowers, a sprig of marjoram, thyme, and a little Wormwood; dry them before a fire, rub them to powder; then sift it through a fine piece of lawn, and simmer it over a slow fire, adding a small quantity of virgin honey, and vinegar. Anoint yourself with this when you go to bed, saying the following lines three times, and you will dream of your partner "that is to be":
"St. Luke, St. Luke, be kind to me,
In dreams let me my true-love see." '
speedle
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Dec 17 2011, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Artemis @ Dec 16 2011, 10:40 AM) *

Same flavor as well.

Indeed.

If only it louched.

Pre-ban Nyquil did.
Absomphe
And it was way more bitterer.
Tibro
That's all very nice, but now it's time to get to sleep and rest and try to wake up betterer in the new year.
Jaded Prole
Here in the states it's just sundown and the drinks are lined up. A healthy and happy year to all.
Tibro
Fuck that, Nyquil is for sick puppies that need their rest. Always wuz, always will be.

Now, 'peedle and 'somphe, off to bed. No complaints. You're obviously ill.
Greytail
I think I can contribute some hard evidence to the conclusion that , yes, absinthe definitely enhances one's memory of dreams the next morning.

I have been off the fairy for years. Only recently did I start again and had some "Pacifique". That night, I dreamed some vivid and wacky dreams, but the next morning I knew I had because I could remember them well. I couldn't tell you now what they were, but the next morning I could have. Probably like all things, unless you drank half a bottle your body builds up the tolerance and most here who drink on a regular basis may not be able to tell the difference one way or the other.
Tibro
Sometimes I wake up because I rolled over on something wet.

And then I know I had a dream.
speedle
QUOTE(Tibro @ Dec 31 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Fuck that, Nyquil is for sick puppies that need their rest. Always wuz, always will be.

Now, 'peedle and 'somphe, off to bed. No complaints. You're obviously ill.

You're always so sweet Tibro.
Tibro
It took you four months to manage that reply, speedle?

Feeble.
G&C
Tibro's giving lessons again.
Tibro
Oh, shit, sorry G&C. Did I offend you?

You've got me walking on egg-shells.
Jack Batemaster
Des coquilles d'oeufs d'escargots ?
Jaded Prole
A slippery slope!
G&C
How in the fuck could I be offended by you being feeble.

You must be slower than I gave you credit for.
Tibro
It's just like a dream, where the most improbable things become possible.

Kinda like watching the Wealth Channel™.
G&C
You should stop dreaming.
It obviously isn't healthy for you…
Tibro
No, it's okay, I'm over it. You don't have to play the part of Shabba with his frilly blouse for me. I don't need it. And neither should you.

It was always kind of a nightmare anyway.
speedle
QUOTE(Tibro @ Apr 30 2012, 08:23 AM) *

It took you four months to manage that reply, speedle?

Feeble.

Nyquil these days, very long lasting apparently. Although I hesitate to get in between you two in this thread.
Jack Batemaster
Il dort.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 1 2012, 01:20 PM) *

11" dork.

Funny, I always thought you were taller.
Jack Batemaster
J'ai toujours cru que tu étais plus drôle …
Absomphe
Je suis. You' ; re juste pas en valeur l'effort.
Tibro
Funny punctuation, can't deny that.
Absomphe
Venir assez instruit d'un poisson de bavardage, cependant.
Tibro
You experience a problem with your semi-colon and blame a fish. You sound strangely like Ric.
Jack Batemaster
Il utilise un traducteur. Il ne comprend pas : « plus drôle » . Le traducteur n'est pas très correcte parfois.
Absomphe
Oui, oui.

Beaucoup de fois.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.