Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paypal has its own way of dealing with antiques…
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Marc
WTF?

IPB Image
IPB Image

Source : http://www.regretsy.com/2012/01/03/from-the-mailbag-27/
Tibro
Paypal does not own the merchandise in a payment dispute, how can they require it to be destroyed?
Provenance
Why does someone buy an antique violin without being sure of authenticity or having an agreement with the seller for a process to resolve any authenticity questions?
Phoenix
I once received a reproduction item that was sold to me as an original. The seller had stopped responding to my messages so I filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal just had me return the item (at my expense). I was out the return shipping, but I got my initial amount back and the seller got their item back. There was never any request for me to break anything.
Artemis
So much wrong with this on so many levels.

What possible purpose could the destruction of the violin serve? Even if it did, how do those Paypal assclowns know that the photograph is actually of the disputed violin?
Absomphe
This whole thing smells like my grandma's purse.
Marc
If you have doubts, explain me why the Paypal terms have changed on January 24th 2012 where the violin story has been published on January 3rd 2012. Pure coincidence?
Depending on who the buyer talked to at Paypal, it's perfectly possible that the Paypal-moron asked him to smash the violin in order to prove to the seller that he was 100% sure it was a fake.

Here is what has changed since:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Artemis
I don't think any of the posts above express doubt that the story is true. Absomphe's post can be taken that way, but I don't think that's what he meant.

it's perfectly possible that the Paypal-moron asked him to smash the violin in order to prove to the seller that he was 100% sure it was a fake

Yes.

And if the buyer simply changed his mind and wanted his money back more than he wanted the violin, he could take advantage of this policy and smash the violin, even if he was convinced the instrument was NOT a fake. He could also smash a fake violin, then keep the real one AND the money. The seller could be completely legitimate and still get cheated under this policy. There's a lot that's not explained by the sentence that's highlighted - who determines what is "counterfeit"? Who does the destroying? Only an idiot would use Paypal without a better explanation of these things. Personally, I looked into Paypal years ago, decided it was FUBAR, have never used it and have never regretted it. And that was without hearing about anything remotely like this.
Artemis
I don't know who they think they are ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5begHSoQ1s
Tibro
Pete Townsend is taking up violin?
Artemis
Pete Townsend is alive?
Tibro
I dunno, but Keef Richards is dead and he still performs.
Artemis
In a manner of speaking.

Better than Bob Hope, though. They continued to hit him up with another dose of reanimator juice and wheel him out onto the stage for 20-30 years after rigor mortis set in.
Tibro
Smashing a violin might have enlivened this old corpse's act.
Artemis
I don't know about her purse, but watch Grandma bend some strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhdfNlqRlgs
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Mar 15 2012, 10:04 AM) *

What possible purpose could the destruction of the violin serve? Even if it did, how do those Paypal assclowns know that the photograph is actually of the disputed violin?

PayPal telling someone to bust a violin isn't near as disturbing as someone actually following through. There are always people and organizations telling others to do stupid, violent things with all manner of rewards and punishments, real and imagined, promised for those who do and don't comply. That will never end. The problem is the people who obey the orders.
Tibro
Go fuck yourself!

(You know you want to.)
Provenance
No, even I have some standards.
Tibro
That's okay, I've contracted JailPal, er PayPal, to do the work for you.
Artemis
PayPal telling someone to bust a violin isn't near as disturbing as someone actually following through.

They're equally disturbing to me. The destruction of a perfectly good musical instrument bothers me; that's why I posted the link to the John Hiatt song. Apart from that, its monetary value was surely more than zero to somebody somewhere. Maybe it's a way of discouraging trade in fake antiques (it's not going to work any more than did the prohibition agents busting bottles of liquor). But even if the destruction is legal and effective, I can't see a legitimate place for the likes of Paypal in it.
Provenance
I'm not trying justify the pee-pee people's bizarre request. Of course they shouldn't be telling anyone to break an instrument, irrespective of what someone thinks about the label's authenticity, as a condition of…anything (btw, always loved the Hiatt song). It's just that I'm used to people/organizations saying the wackiest things. It's the follow-through I don't understand. But then, I don't see why navigation systems need to warn people not to turn onto non-existent roads and bridges.
Artemis
I got you kid, I got you good I did.

Your post actually provoked some thought on my part about which was worse, if either, and I even got to thinking about the Nazis (they were only following orders), etc. So I decided to play it safe and blame everybody. If violins were outlawed, only outlaws would have violins.
Provenance
QUOTE(Artemis @ Mar 19 2012, 10:39 AM) *
play it safe and blame everybody

Wisdom incarnate.

In retrospect though, I should have said that people (and PayPal) say the whackiest things….
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.