Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Doctor Ordinaire
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Artemis
I copied part of the following from a different thread - I first posted it there, but it deserves not to be buried there.

There's a lot of cool stuff at the French forum lately, including the birth certificate of Dr. Ordinaire, which is significant in view of the fact there's been speculation about whether he actually existed.

http://arcetsenans.com/resources/CEGFC+-+Dr+Ordinaire.pdf

"Pierre fils de Nicola l'ordinaire et de susanne fagnon mari et femme demeurant à la grange des routes est né le 11 septembre 1741, et a été baptisé le même jour. Le parrain a été pîerre parreau, et la marraine magdeleine chaillet, illetrée."

Pierre son of Nicola l'Ordinaire and Susanne Fagnon husband and wife residing in La Grange des Routes was born on September 11th, 1741, and was baptized the same day. The godfather was Pîerre Parreau, and the godmother Magdeleine Chaillet, illiterate.

Here's some new information, posted by g_painblanc in response to subsequent comments at the French forum:

Suite à votre demande sur Pierre Ordinaire, nous vous avons retranscrit la page de son acte de décès ci-dessous :
(registre des décès de Couvet) : Pierre Ordinaire, fils de feu Nicolas ORDINAIRE de Quingey, Département du Doubs, et de sa femme Susanne, née Fagnon, âgé de 79 ans, est mort de rétention d'urine le 1er août 1821, inhumé le 3e dudit.

Further to your request on Pierre Ordinaire, we retranscribed for you the page of his death certificate below:
(register of deaths of Couvet): Pierre Ordinaire, son of the late Nicolas ORDINAIRE of Quingey, Department of Doubs, and of his wife Susanne, born Fagnon, 79 years old, died from retention of urine on August 1st, 1821, buried the 3rd of the aforementioned (month).

Pierre Ordinaire s'est marié avec Henriette PETITPIERRE († le 01/03/1827), fille de François et Marie-Louise PETITPIERRE. Pierre Ordinaire s'est fait naturaliser le 17/10/1786, après 18 ans de métier dans la Principauté de Neuchâtel.

Pierre Ordinaire was married to Henriette PETITPIERRE (died 01/03/1827), daughter of François and Mary-Louise PETITPIERRE. Pierre Ordinaire was naturalized 17/10/1786, after 18 years of activity in the Principality of Neuchâtel.
dr_ordinaire
I'm smiling now, Arty, but my first reaction to the title of this thread was:

Fuck, what did I say wrong THIS time?
Provenance
…Pierre Ordinaire……est mort de rétention d'urine le 1er août 1821, inhumé le 3e dudit.[/i]

Has the cause of death triggered any discussion of the dreaded chop.gif?
Artemis
I don't see much of the porky chop over there in any thread. In any case, if it took 60 years to kill him, who can complain, even he?
Artemis
If I understand the conversation over there, which is by no means certain, there's a lot more on the record about the doctor than people have assumed. Unfortunately, there is nothing about his Corsican horse, but apparently he had several children who also became doctors, and even a descendant who was a senator. This gives rise to speculation that his place of interment might be relatively elaborate (therefore easier to locate). Either way, if located, it could become a sort of shrine, a place where absintheurs imbibe in the moonlight. Calling Mr. Grim ....
dr_ordinaire
I don't know if the analogy is correct, but:

.info/thujone-absinthe-20.html" target="_blank">http://www.chop.gif.info/thujone-absinthe-20.html

before any knee reacts with a jerk at the twice mentioned Thujone-Bottle.jpg, I want to remind you of an illness named Brewers Droop, that was caused apparently by the constant handling of hops, since it was more common among brewers than drinkers. So the constant handling of wormwood may have made distillers get in contact with much more chop.gif than absinthe drinkers.

http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles6.htm
G&C
Can't be.
My brewer isn't drooping…
Jaded Prole
You haven't had enough to drink.
G&C
He said handling, not drinking, made it droop.
…apparently by the constant handling…
Bruno Rygseck
Thanks for posting and translating this at FV!
Artemis
No problem.

This gives rise to speculation that his place of interment might be relatively elaborate (therefore easier to locate).

I raised that possibility over there, but was told that unless it received upkeep out of the ordinary, it's unlikely to even still exist. Apparently much cemetery ground is recycled in that area after a fairly short time (certainly well less than 200 years), apparently due to real estate limitations. The people working on this have even located a living descendant and talked to her. She knew little of the doctor and nothing at all of absinthe.
dr_ordinaire
Does anybody know of any image of Him?
OCvertDe
I don't,

but I am curious what motorcycle's skeleton that license plate is hanging from in your image.
Artemis
I have corrected a date in the post about Ordinaire's birth and death; there was a typo.
Note: French format for dates is day/month/year.
It was correct in the original French.
I had switched it to month/day/year in the English translation, which transposed the month and the day for his date of naturalization.

Artemis
QUOTE(dr_ordinaire @ Mar 22 2015, 12:33 PM) *
Does anybody know of any image of Him?

You're lucky Jack is gone.
Bruno Rygseck
Him
L'Assommoir
I just noticed this in the document, from the link in the original post.

Click to view attachment

This may be just a fanciful representation but probably based on something.
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(OCvertDe @ Mar 22 2015, 07:11 AM) *

I don't,

but I am curious what motorcycle's skeleton that license plate is hanging from in your image.

It was a 2002 Harley Sportster.

Thanks, L'Assommoir.
OCvertDe
Really. Huh. Looks more like a sport bike to me, couldn't have been much farther off I suppose.
Artemis
Agreed, Sportster fender is usually almost on the tire, and the license plate is on the fender.
No empty space at all between the wheel and the seat, unlike true "sports" machines.
Triumph sport motorcycle:
IPB Image
2002 Harley Sportster
IPB Image
dr_ordinaire
QUOTE(L'Assommoir @ Mar 22 2015, 03:36 PM) *

I just noticed this in the document, from the link in the original post.

Click to view attachment

This may be just a fanciful representation but probably based on something.

Years ago I had a small blue plate (was it from Delft?) that had an image that I recall similar to that one. It had a legend "L'absinthe" or something similar.

I lost it in a move.
dr_ordinaire
Yep, my Alzheimer is mild today…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LABSINTHE-Vintage-…=item2346d39491

Just got a replacement. There's another one available being auctioned.
L'Assommoir
Nice find!
dr_ordinaire
This plate is actually part of a set of four:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-Delft-Belgiu…=item20f66e9a9e

depicting different beverages. It's curious that the absinthe is shown without spoon, sugar or water carafe. If this plate is an accurate depiction of the way absinthe was drank (at least in Belgium) it lends weight to the theory that absinthe was originally drank neat, and the watered-down and sugared version was a marketing ploy to attract women.
Kirk
There are 2 more, not depicted making it a set of 6.
dr_ordinaire
Right you are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Boch-Delft…=item1c4ada45a5

Eau de Vie
Le Cidre
Le Rhum
L'Absinthe
Vin Ordinaire
Pale Ale
Artemis
it lends weight to the theory that absinthe was originally drank neat

Keeping in mind that the drawing is anecdotal (I've had the opportunity to use that word a number of times this week, starting in the movie guessing game at the other forum), depictions of absinthe use at the time of Ordinaire would be depictions of the use of medicine. So yes, neat or with a bit of water so it wouldn't burn like hell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.