Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eye Candy
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Artemis
Click to view attachment
Phoenix
Clearly you under watered it. pirate2.gif
Jack Batemaster
C'est la Bockysinthe marron ?
Tibro
under watered

Was that meant to be snotty?
Artemis
The absinthe, yes.

The remark, no. Phoenix has his spider senses working.

And no, it's not Bogumil's work. Some old batard called Pernod.
Jack Batemaster
C'est la même couleur, non ?
Artemis
Similar.
Tibro
spider senses

Must be preying on the same bugs. I meant the libation.
Jay
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 4 2012, 07:22 PM) *

Some old batard called Pernod.

Baguette and tag it.

Is it 1914-ish? I had a couple of samples of a 1910 which was noticeably lighter (almost peach) compared to yours.
Artemis
I don't remember, but 1914 seems to be about right. I searched the reviews I did, but all of them seem to be later than when that photo was taken, which was in May of 2004, if the metadata on the photo is correct.
Greytail
That carafe with the absinthe, the measurements were there for the bistro/cafe' to know the tab right? A full carafe was presented to the table?
Artemis
The carafe holds water. The thing with the marks is called a topette. They're intended to help somebody keep track of how much absinthe is used. Whether it's the bartender, waiter, or a group of customers at the same table sharing a topette, I can't say.
Greytail
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
Jay
QUOTE(Greytail @ Jul 3 2012, 12:49 AM) *

A full topette was presented to the table?

This is something I've always wondered about, particularly for topettes with 7 or 8 doses, as that's quite a bit of absinthe to have to "know" you're going to drink. It seems that, barring someone making a note somewhere (which would seem to defeat the purpose, at least in part), it would always have to have been topped off to the highest dose level (the line labelled "1") in order to ensure the customer was correctly charged.

Reminds me of pre-paying for gas at the pump, and trying to guesstimate just how much you need without going over.
Artemis
My guess is that it's a labor-saving device so that the waiter doesn't have to come back multiple times and pour shots from a bottle. If he leaves the bottle on the table, unless the patrons paid for the whole bottle, arguments might arise as to how much was consumed. So if two people sat down and intended to have two each, he filled a four-dose topette and billed them accordingly. The waiter works less and neither patrons nor bar owner get short-changed.
L'Assommoir
Seems logical.

Maybe the 7-8 dose would be for a table with several customers, when the table will split the tab, or one guy is buying.

Stroller
I need to frame this.

Click to view attachment
Stroller
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 4 2012, 12:22 PM) *

The absinthe, yes.

The remark, no. Phoenix has his spider senses working.

And no, it's not Bogumil's work. Some old batard called Pernod.

I've got some of that old batard's stuff.

Click to view attachment
Artemis
I need to frame this.

Indeed.
Click to view attachment

Artemis

I know, Grim said we're going to drink it in New Mexico this summer. I'm looking forward to it.
Stroller
I think Grimmy would rather have-

Click to view attachment
Artemis
I remember trying a chili pepper beer 20 years ago at a beer festival, after reading about it previously. I seem to remember it was made by some guy who lived in a cave, probably a hermit named Dave.
thegreenimp
There will be six different restored, vintage Herbsaint posters out in a few weeks.

Click to view attachment
Provenance
QUOTE(Stroller @ Jul 3 2012, 03:58 PM) *

Don 't let your last thought be, Dang, I shoulda opened that bottle.
Grim
Prezactly.
Stroller
Opening the likes of King Tut's tomb could be dangerous.
Artemis
Not if you take the precaution of doing the ancient Egyptian ritual known as the "opening of the mouth".

And pour some absinthe in.
Grim
Barnaby Conrad would grab that drank and use that shit to take a body-shot off the lower back of a syphilitic whore…

IPB Image

"You're not Barnaby Conrad the 3rd, Stroller."
Stroller
Nope, I'm not. thank you very much. We do have a similar receding hairline though.
Stroller
Title:

The Power of Absinthe Compels You!

Click to view attachment
Jaded Prole
I can relate.
sbmac
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jul 3 2012, 08:47 PM) *

I remember trying a chili pepper beer 20 years ago at a beer festival, after reading about it previously. I seem to remember it was made by some guy who lived in a cave, probably a hermit named Dave.

Yup…Dave's Cave Creek Chili Beer. It burned a bit on the way down if I remember correctly.
Stroller
I bought a 6-pack of that in 93. I still remember how bad it was.
Jack Batemaster
Elle brûle aussi à la sortie
Artemis
The festival was in Portland, 1992. The only beer I remember other than the chili beer (one was enough for a lifetime) was a woodruff ale that I liked so much I made some myself.
Patlow
I need to start brewing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.