Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthiades 2012
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Pages: 1, 2
Marc
Please start contacting me now if you plan to be part of the Absinthiades 2012 (October 6/7).
Like for Boveresse I will organize the hotel and the private parties.
We plan to organize a very nice private party on Saturday evening for the first time ever, something similar to the Friday party at Boveresse, so we need to know how many of you are coming.
Grim
Any chance of running into DuVallon?

Sounds fun…

How many people actually showed up for this past Friday. I heard 55, but wasn't sure if that included Fuss' crew.
martin.zufanek
I am in!
Marc
I'm afraid Duvallon won't be there but I'll ask him again, he's usually away until mid-October.

We were 55 last friday, including Diane and Fuss' crew.

Habu
Is the Fuss' crew again on the jury list?
Jack Batemaster
Je vais être très occupé …
hartsmar
Me and Anders will be there.
sbmac
I'm booked. Can't wait to see all you guys again! (New friends too).
Père Ubu
Are you going to instruct locals on how to properly louche absinthe?
Jack Batemaster
Je vais encore être très occupé…
Grim
Oh what the fuck!

Now you guys decide to go?!

I'm broke (real busy).
Tibro
Who will ride herd on the Bohemians?
Habu
QUOTE(Grim @ Jul 18 2012, 04:43 AM) *

Oh what the fuck!

Now you guys decide to go?!

I'm broke (real busy).

I was broke last year and yet there I was.
Steve
Difference being, Grim doesn't have anyone who will pick him up in their van and drive him there.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(Martineau @ Jul 17 2012, 07:43 PM) *

…I'm broke (real busy).

L'absinthe est le poisson pour les Ricards.
hartsmar
Plane tickets.... check.
Jack Batemaster
Je suis trés occupé…
hartsmar
Je suis trés happy about that.
Jack Batemaster
Puis, j'y vais.
Communikaze
Still possible to get room and participate? Thomas /dk
Communikaze
plane tickets booked. See you! Thomas, DK
hartsmar
To those of you who was supposed to be here but couldn't make it... We missed you.
To those of you who just didn't bother to go... Your loss.

Thanks to all good people and friends that made this another great absinthe infused weekend.
Steve
I wanted very much to be there. I hope you will be in Boveresse next summer so you can tell me about it.
Grim
We'll be seeing you in Boveresse 2013!
Marc
I just wanted to show you this picture which perfectly sum-up the ambiance in Pontarlier during the Absinthiades. Well, the ambiance we created ourselves by doing private parties…

This was right after a very pleasant cheese fondue party in the mountains, we were in our hotel suite.
Very nice smiles don't you think?

IPB Image

QUOTE(hartsmar @ Oct 7 2012, 09:47 AM) *

To those of you who was supposed to be here but couldn't make it… We missed you.
To those of you who just didn't bother to go… Your loss.

What he said.
The Standard Deviant
But MOST importantly, who won the competition Marc?
Marc
Who cares?

IPB Image
Patlow
Nice pic Marc! I see Mr. Voodoo Magic continues to represent. See you all in 2013…
hartsmar
VoodoMagic level was rather low this year. Guess that's only really working in Boveresse. Magic IS needed to cope with the Swiss... wink.gif
Tibro
QUOTE(Marc @ Oct 8 2012, 02:22 PM) *

Who cares?

Prolly no one this year.

Except Kyle.
OCvertDe
Just finished reading the newsletter from Absinthes.com, and the Absinthiades '13 blog, and I think I have a wooden token's worth of clue where you're coming from with that last post now.

How is it possible, really, that anyone with any kind of affinity for Absinthe whatsoever, could award a gold medal to Kubler 53 in a blind test that included four others that I know of which would have blown it out of the water, no pun intended. I mean, anyone who has had it should know a stick of black licorice with absolutely nothing else to make it interesting, and score it appropriately whether they recognize it as Kubler or not.
Artemis
Benoit Noel (Xmas) made a series of long posts about these competitions in the last week or so at the French forum, interesting but difficult to read. I said:
Mais je n'ai aucun chien dans cette lutte; je crois que toutes les médailles sont une farce. Ma devise est "drink it or sink it".

OCvertDe
Difficult to read is right, we have one too many members who can't deign to post in the language everyone else is using here already. On a French forum, I would expect to have to do a little more work to communicate, but regardless, I get "drink it or sink it". And it only drives the point farther home: how in the world did Kubler 53 leave with a gold medal? Normally I'd be looking for conspiratorial shenanigans, the dog named "Farce" as the case may be, but encountering that taste in a blind test I'd be reaching for the spittoon and asking what the joke is.
Jack Batemaster
Je préfère la Kubler 45 …
Tibro
Good news, you've been accepted to be a judge at the 2014 Absinthiades.
Jack Batemaster
En effet !®
Artemis
Please do away with that stupid-ass signature.
Absomphe
Lo que dijo.

No necesito añadir epilépticos a mis otras dolencias de hombre muy viejo.
Artemis
On a French forum, I would expect to have to do a little more work to communicate, but regardless, I get "drink it or sink it".

The gist of it was Noel's contention that an absinthe mixed from distillates of individual herbs (as opposed to one made from all herbs in the still at one time) shouldn't be disallowed from a competition on that point alone, but in the process he seemed to be taking up for a German with whom a lot of people have a problem over marketing practices, among other things. What I said was:
I don't have a dog in that fight, but I think that all medals (for absinthe) are a farce. My motto is "drink it or sink it".
Benoit agreed with the motto, but said he couldn't ignore the way the competitions are run. But I don't remember reading anything really laudatory about any of them.
Tibro
If he's not able to ignore the way the competition is run, then better to find the amusement in it than to be a scolding skewl marm trying to correct it. The report I heard was that the only satisfying absinthe in Pontarlier that weekend was an HG from artisan disinterested in finding a marketing gimmick for it.
Artemis
Sounds about right. Certainly there's no argument for mixed absinthes being unauthentic or non-historical. On that point Benoit was right. I made the point that if a medal is going to be awarded to a mixed absinthe, and the distiller and the mixer are the same entity, what's the problem? But if they're not, who gets the credit? Crediting only the distiller wouldn't be right, because no matter how good the extracts are, they don't automatically add up to a good mix. On the other hand, a good mixer who isn't the distiller can't exactly be credited with making a good blended absinthe.
But you don't try to enter a dog in a cat show, even if I suspect that the rules were set up to favor absinthe makers from a certain area, people who don't so much favor cats as deny that dogs exist.
Jack Batemaster
2014 quand ?
Tibro
Don't worry about it, you'll be, you know, bizzee.
Jack Batemaster
Je vais aller en France cette année.
Tibro
Do tell.
Kirk
He's been building up to it
Tibro
So to speak.
Artemis
Coming more or less soon to a location not anywhere near you!!
Musing!
Announcing in the Chapel!
Theatrics by some guy!
Cartoons!
Collections!
Disgustions!
Exposings (as exemplified by the wench hollering so loud, one teton falls out).
Almost as good as a Louchefest.
But I'll be real busy that samedi and dimanche.

IPB Image
Provenance
Your translation really does make it sound like a Louchefest.
Jack Batemaster
Je vais être sans argent….
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.