Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: recommendations
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
delirium
I'm looking for recommendations for my next order. This far I've really tasted only few absinthes: Kübler, Mansinthe, and Jade Verte Suisse & Edouard. The last three have been delicious. For the Jades I paid 65 euros for a bottle. I thought that my next purchase shouldn't be more expensive. So… any ideas?
optional
QUOTE(delirium @ Jun 28 2012, 02:06 AM) *

I'm looking for recommendations for my next order. This far I've really tasted only few absinthes: Kübler, Mansinthe, and Jade Verte Suisse & Edouard. The last three have been delicious. For the Jades I paid 65 euros for a bottle. I thought that my next purchase shouldn't be more expensive. So… any ideas?

Ridge, Berthe De Joux, Duplais, Delaware Phoenix (any of theirs)… The list goes on. Look around here and WWS, and you'll find people talking about the same bottles over and and over.
delirium
Well yes, I was a bit lazy. I thought that by asking I don't have to check if the recommendations are overpriced.
Jaded Prole
I recommend not quoting the post immediately above yours. Also, rather than going to a place where people slobber praise over anything, you might read more of what has already been posted on this forum or go to our Buyer's Guide section.
Tibro
Bite the bullet.
Break the bank.
Buy King of Spirits Gold.

Nothing else compares.
delirium
Fuuuuuuuu….. I mean.. recommendations accepted.
Greytail
L'ancienne.
Tibro
Fuuuuuuuu…..

Is this your assessment of something you've never tasted?
Stroller
MARTEAU Absinthe is the finest 19th Century style, fully authentic absinthe to be made and sold in the United States since 1912

There you go, straight from the website.
Stroller
Or you could buy Pacifique & Walton Waters.

Both are very good.
Père Ubu
Ridge, Delaware Phoenix, Pacific, and Philadelphia, are all American distilleries whose current offerings are quite good. By current, I mean within the last couple of months, and no earlier than that. No matter which ones you go with, some oxygenation and proper storage, have worked for me. I find slow drips help, but that is true of louche challeneged absinthes. My favorites have a louche that could hide submarines even if backlit by the sun.
If you are in Europe, Emile Pernot's Sauvage, Duplais Verte, and La Clandestine have all tickled my fancy. Regretfully my favorite Euro-sinthes (Sauvage, L'Anicienne, & L'Artisanale) are either out of production, or are priced at Jade levels or more.
sbmac
Slow drips are highly over-rated. You wind up missing a lot of the movie. I cut down on the large sodas at the concession stand.
Père Ubu
My experimentation shows that it helps make a thicker louche, even in decent louching absinthes. On the lesser louchers, like Sauvage, it makes a huge difference. Now on the likes of BC, the artist, and the old one, they can stand so much water, it doesn't really matter. Funny those last three are on my top 5 list.
Tibro
KoSG requires no water. No flame. Pour it. Knock it back. Your enjoyment is complete.

What could be easier?
Père Ubu
Doesn't it require Edwardian costumes to be worn?
Tibro
Thez you, thespian.

Wear a Count Chocula outfit if like, but count on it being better than anything boiled in a gnostalgic way.
Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jun 28 2012, 11:54 AM) *

KoSG requires no water. No flame. Pour it. Knock it back. Your enjoyment is complete.

What could be easier?

Stepping on a landmine, perhaps?

Try it, and let us know.
Bruno Rygseck
  • Duplais Balance
  • La Maison Fontaine
  • Akveld's Verte
  • Akveld's Blanche
  • St. Antoine

Edit:
QUOTE(delirium @ Jun 28 2012, 02:12 PM) *

Fuuuuuuuu

Oh yes, I forgot Verte de Fougerolles, or Enigma Verte.
Stroller
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jun 28 2012, 11:54 AM) *

What could be easier?

KoSG?
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jun 28 2012, 01:54 PM) *

poop.gif requires no water. No flame. Pour it. Knock it back. Your enjoyment is complete.

What could be easier?

Spewing on the rug maybe?
Stroller
I recommend you not buy an $18.00 glass of Kubler at the Old Absinthe House.
Grim
La Veuve Verte is a good absinthe made by a humble distiller.

Sauvage is really the best example of what comes out of Émile Pernot's distillery.

Sapphire, if you can find unclaimed bottles, is one of the best examples of commercial Swiss absinthe… oh, but what a wonderful clandestine La Bleue is floating around there (and those at Boveresse 2012 can testify to this!).

Luc Santiago-Rodriguez makes very tastey absinthes that have a lot of bold, base-alcohol-forward, anisated, deep-coloured character. I'd suggest testing them out.
Steve
Yes, yes, yes (oh hell yes) and yes!
Jay
Seconded (or thirded, if you were getting in on the action, Steve?) about the Sapphire. I was lucky enough to have a couple of glasses, and it was delicious. Too bad about those pesky testing levels…
Jaded Prole
What are these testing levels as you call them?
Jack Batemaster
Trop de fenouille, je penserais.
Grim
All chop.gif.
Bruno Rygseck
What Grim said. La Veuve Verte I recommend too. And Devoille absinthes like Coquette (however not the Libertine product line).
delirium
Thanks everyone. This will help me orient myself at the buyer's guide -section!
I guess I'll break my piggy bank with a hammer and invest to a couple of bottles at the same time.
Jack Batemaster
Êtes-vous déjà allé au Delirium Café ?
Greytail
Nice avatar.
Jack Batemaster
Ce café est très fou ! Ils m'ont appellé «Le monsieur»
Greytail
Must have too much chop.gif in it.
Tibro

Ils m'ont appellé «Le monster»

Prolly mistook you for something that came from down under. The ground.
delirium
They have arrived. La Coquette. Uhhh yeahh..
SethP
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jun 30 2012, 10:12 PM) *

[…] La Veuve Verte I recommend too. And Devoille absinthes like Coquette (however not the Libertine product line).

I'm not saying that Libertine (intense 72) is a top of the range product or anything like that, but I actually find it quite tasty nevertheless. I got a bottle very recently.

But… It is "intense", so to get it out of the harsh and astringent spectrum I personally have to use plenty (!) of cold water. (I'd say even above 6:1.) Then I find it quite smooth and rather appealing.
Kirk
The best absinthe I have had recently is called Mt. Defiance, I picked up a bottle of their batch #12 yesterday and it was damn near perfect, in my book it is the best currently available absinthe on the market.
G&C
That wouldn't be because of their herb source…
Jaded Prole
Sounds like the have the best source. I wish it was available around here.
OCvertDe
Hm. VA only, eh? Hopefully that doesn't last.
Kirk
They make cider, rum, and apple brandy too. I drove up there on the Shenandoah parkway, it's a perfect color storm up there right now, never seen it so bright. I hauled a load of green anise that you could smell from a block away, I know because I parked in Middleburg (beautiful town) and walked a block away and could smell it; like candy, it's red.
Jaded Prole
Delicious stuff. Andalusian anise is the best. They should consider using Panela dolce really dark, unrefined sugar for their rum. I get it at a local Central American Bodega. It comes from El Salvador in cones wrapped in cane leaves and tied with cane twine. It can have fibers in it but it has a really rich molasses caramel flavor.
Kirk
You can buy their products at the distillery and also on line at: http://www.cordialwine.com/ and also at Central Liquors (202) 737-2800 but you have to call because it is not up on the website.
OCvertDe
Well that's cool. Thank you Kirk, I will squirrel this information away for later.
Jaded Prole
Very nice stuff. Tastes like a Nimes with really nice hyssop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.