Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alastair McMillan's collection
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
Marc
Alastair McMillan was one of our customers, a very charming man, with a good sense of humor in spite of his disease and life condition.

He passed away on March 14th 2011, aged 54 year, because of a pulmonary fibrosis which led to a pneumonia.

His collection is mainly composed of spoons and books, he always had a thirst for learning more about the absinthe history. He was a very clever man.

His widow asked us to sell his collection in her place, and that's what we're doing today with great pleasure and pride: http://www.absintheoriginals.com/alastair.html
Artemis
That link doesn't work.

http://www.absintheoriginals.com/alastair.html
Marc
Repaired, thank you Arty.
Artemis
I see he had a Couleru. Eight hundred Euros - ouch.
Marc
I know, I know, but the prices of the books have been discussed with Oxy, and in the case of the Couleru, as it is not for sale anywhere else, we decided to price it a bit high.
And you have to know that the money earned mainly goes to Alastair's widow, Margaret.
Tibro
Which side of the pond are these on at present?
Jay
It's a worthy cause, no doubt, but isn't this same book available on your/Oxy's own site for 520 euro here? If it's already been sold, then you'll probably want to update that page asap so as not to give the wrong impression. Sadly, both are out of my price range, and as I recently mentioned in a thread about this book, I don't yet read/speak French (yet) frusty.gif
Marc
This is a very old page Jay, archived. But still online.
Artemis
I wasn't complaining about the price; I know very well it's a rare book and assumed it would fetch a steep price. I didn't realize how steep, as I haven't looked for one in years, thus the "ouch". The widow has every right to set the price, as it's a seller's market with that book, and I hope she gets every penny she can.
Grim
I want that Couleru. Fuck!

I got scans of the full book… but Fuck!
Artemis
I thought this one would have you going (what is it? skeet skeet?), or do you already have one?
IPB Image
Grim
I've got three of those, brother. Plus the Vade Mecum and the older versions.
Marc
QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 30 2012, 12:47 AM) *

I can offer a discount for you my friend.
pierreverte
Sold my signed copy of Couleru for 750 euros and it was a tough sell at that price…
Marc
Signed or unsigned doesn't make a big difference, same goes for the Duplais.
It's not like a signed copy of a Verlaine poem.
Grim
QUOTE(Marc @ Jun 30 2012, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 30 2012, 12:47 AM) *

I can offer a discount for you my friend.

Thanks, my friend!
abs-cheers.gif

But truth is I'm trying to make alambic/equipment restoration my priority… and it gets less affordable every day.

But DAMN!
pierreverte
QUOTE(Marc @ Jun 30 2012, 08:34 PM) *

Signed or unsigned doesn't make a big difference, same goes for the Duplais.
It's not like a signed copy of a Verlaine poem.

Yeah, that's a good analogy…I could see how a hand-signed copy of a rare book by its author would not make a big difference in its value, if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…
Never even seen a Duplais hand-signed, except with the signature done in the printing.

Wow…really? I have completely lost touch with what make antiques valuable, but, you're the professional…
pierreverte
QUOTE(Grim @ Jun 30 2012, 08:59 PM) *

But truth is I'm trying to make alambic/equipment restoration my priority… and it gets less affordable every day.

If you ever run across a 4 liter Egrot chapiteau, I know of one that needs one…
Grim
Hah!

Interestingly enough, I was thinking of that little beauty when we started turning brass for couplings and realized at this point, with the material, I might be able to have a replacement made. It isn't the same though. I take it, that chapiteau is gone forever? What a shame.

"Chris" on this board, got a hold of a very pretty bain marie, alambic d'essai that looks very similar to yours, but I don't think it's got quite the same volume.

As for Couleru, it's so much easier to flip through the pages of a book and take notes than click through scans. But there is truly many interesting things going on in that book…
pierreverte
Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item, but for a shelf and not for a historian…
Grim
Not impossible…
abs-cheers.gif

Many a book collector would shutter at the sight of me taking a razor to an old book, just so I could read what was between the pages.
Marc
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 01:44 PM) *
if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…
Never even seen a Duplais hand-signed, except with the signature done in the printing.

I didn't want to hurt your feelings Peter but Couleru was not famous, so his signature is worth … Nothing.

Wow…really? I have completely lost touch with what make antiques valuable, but, you're the professional…

Sorry but yes, you have lost touch with what makes antiques valuable, hence your last sales on eBay.

Tu m'en veux ?
Artemis
taking a razor to an old book

Shut your mouth. Puts me in mind of the pirate in Treasure Island: "What fool's cut a Bible?"

I have several first editions of books, which in many cases fetch high prices even when the author is not so famous, but when he is, OUCH! I have a biography of Rasputin, autographed by his daughter, who wrote it. Fascinating man, Rasputin.
pierreverte
QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 1 2012, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 01:44 PM) *
if the author was some unknown schlep like Couleru or Duplais…

I didn't want to hurt your feelings Peter but Couleru was not famous, so his signature is worth … Nothing.

Sorry but yes, you have lost touch with what makes antiques valuable, hence your last sales on eBay.

Tu m'en veux ?

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it? Or that he might only be important if you have a signed copy of Couleru to sell?

If you really cared about the widow, you would buy the poor guy's collection back, at the price you sold it to him, or fair market retail, which you now dictate, and then resell it again without fanfare, and suck up the loss as personal goodwill. And not mention anything about it….but where's the marketing in that?
Artemis
got other things going now

2002 or 1902, just a bunch of stuff somebody would have had to sell when you died, anyway. No sarcasm whatsoever intended. I'm done "collecting" anything but love, if I can get it. I wish you the best going forward.
Grim
Tibro
What is fame?

Once upon a time I knew a man who was known all around the world for his works. His observation? He found that fame in itself was not very interesting, but valued its utility for getting laid.

And, yes, I have signed first editions.
Marc
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 2 2012, 04:21 AM) *

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it?

As I said before, Couleru is not Verlaine, he's only known by less than 100 people in the absinthe world (and I'm being generous here).
A signed copy of Couleru's book is a nice thing for sure, I'd love to have one myself, but it doesn't add a financial value to the book, that's what I meant.
Marc
QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *

Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item

Now this adds value to a book from what I've heard from a books collector. The signature adds no value, but the fact that it's uncut does.
pierreverte
QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 2 2012, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 2 2012, 04:21 AM) *

Remember, you heard it here first from your most trusted resourse of absinthe antiques, all you absinthe people, the most important period historian of the absinthe époque is NOT famous, thus NOT important, thus his personal signature has NO collectable value… that's what you are saying, isn't it?

As I said before, Couleru is not Verlaine, he's only known by less than 100 people in the absinthe world (and I'm being generous here).
A signed copy of Couleru's book is a nice thing for sure, I'd love to have one myself, but it doesn't add a financial value to the book, that's what I meant.

QUOTE(Marc @ Jul 2 2012, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(pierreverte @ Jul 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *

Mine was also un-cut, so it was impossible to fully read as the pages were still attached by foilds. Was really a collector's item

Now this adds value to a book from what I've heard from a books collector. The signature adds no value, but the fact that it's uncut does.

You should probably stop at this point…
Artemis
By all means, stop.
It would be nice if you two would mend whatever differences you have.
Life is short; just ask the guy who died and left that old crap behind.
Oh wait, it's too late ...........
Marc
Ok I stop.
Don't worry Artemis, I met Peter many times and I still consider him as a friend. We sometimes have online disputations but c'est la vie, we can't always agree on everything, same goes with my wife and my daughter, and I love them.
Oxygenee
Yeah, let's all have a group hug.
Steve
Hug it out, bitches.
Marc
Better steve?

IPB Image
Steve
Yes, much better! Thank you.
Oxygenee
THAT'S the picture I was looking for!
Tibro
So much for asking, "Where's Jack when you need him?"
Père Ubu
Isn't he in Europe, hacking into the EP computers?
Tibro
More likely at a clandestine printer running off forged copies of a Beligiquian Couleru signed by "Ned Brew".

And hugging himself.
sbmac
Everyone on this thread needs to get seriously drunk, together.
Jay
You mean that isn't what's been happening during these last several posts, Scott?
Tibro
No, the last few posts are about a frog being shafted by a peter.

According to the rules and regulations of Off. Jack Batemaster.

You fucking wanker.
Tibro
Expect any subsequent re-broadcasts on the Wealth Chanel™ to be edited to protect the name of any investment adviser who may or may not have made a profit off the sales of these items.

And I'm not talking about the famous guy. He'll get his cut regardless.
Jay
Wouldn't "fucking wanker" be an oxymoron?

(Brace for impact, Oxy.)
Tibro
Where'd you get your decoder ring?

You may or may not be due a refund.

Just tell us how it feels when you get hard.
Tibro
Mebbe your head's too soft for a skull fracture.
thegreenimp
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jul 2 2012, 11:48 AM) *

THAT'S the picture I was looking for!

Fee Verte one big hot tub of love.

Click to view attachment
Père Ubu
And that is why skinny dipping is a bad idea in TX. Some things are best left covered, extensively covered.
sbmac
They're eating corn dogs in that hot tub. It's painfully funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.