Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: absinthe substitutes
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
delirium
Maybe it was the wikipedia article that mentioned that they started to produce pastis about 17 years after the absinthe ban. So it wasn't an immediate substitute. How about herbsaint? I read that they were cautious of anise based strong alcohol drinks in general in France after the ban.
Père Ubu
Where is the Imp's keeper when you need him.
thegreenimp
Jung & Wulff made their first absinthe substitute in New Orleans in 1913, it would appear under a handful of names until they ceased business in NOLA at the start of W.W. II.

Legendre Herbsaint wasn't a Pastis, neither was Jung & Wulff's brands, or Yochim Bros. these three from New Olreans were at one time hoping to get a designation from the feds as "New Olreans Absinthe", as a substitute for absinthe, but given their small market share, and the government being unwilling at that time to allow the word "Absinthe" on a liquor label, they were not able to receive that designation.

There were a few other brands in the USA to try their hand at the same thing, only Herbsaint survived to date.
thegreenimp
I saved a copy of that one back in the day it was posted. abs-cheers.gif

Du Bouchett's Alstina made by Many-Blanc, a brand held by Schenley which had purchased L.E. Jung & Wulff. (Perhaps the origin of Alstina)

There was Mohawk's Abson, Wexmar's Wexasinthe…look that one up on Cocktail DB, Lyon's Jadine, another called Abisinthe, and so on…plus the two Maltese Falcons, Milky-Way and Greenopal. (From Jung & Wulff in NOLA)

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4693

http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3908

Click to view attachment
delirium
Thanks!
Several sources say that after the ban, some companies changed to producing pastis, though it seems that they first had other substitutes and only after years started to make pastis.
sbmac
I believe pastis was created in 1932. Pasties however, have been around longer.
Père Ubu
Mugwort flavored arak might do in a pinch. Now that I remembered of it, I need to find such a thinga ma bob.
thegreenimp
There are a couple of recent vintage finds I'll add to the list soon. (I like saving surprises)

Some of them are six degrees of Kevin Bacon, to one another…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.