Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Syria
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Bruno Rygseck
Sad news daily. There seems to be no solution. And they produce the best aniseed in the world, I have heard.
Jaded Prole
It's horrific and worse, it threatens to set off a regional conflagration.

A good example of why I generally don't like humans.
Tibro
Regional conflagration? It's just like the good old daze with Amerika arming one side and the Ruskies the other. Good business for the suppliers but the end users feel obligated to do something with those weapons.

Similarly it's going to be interesting with Amerika arming the Egyptian military while the democratically elected president is an Islamist.
Père Ubu
ain't that where the good green anise comes from?
Tibro
Did you even bother to read the opening post?

PTFA!

Only by dint of some inexplicable grace have you entered this hallowed graveyard without a bomb landing on your head shredding your green anus.

Wouldn't it be inexplicable grace if the UN actually had the world's support to separate the combatants?
Jack Batemaster
Qui est-ce «Soreia» ?
Greytail
What's green anise?
Tibro
The carrier for the polonium dust that Yasser Arafat was poisoned with.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 15 2012, 11:03 PM) *

Wouldn't it be inexplicable grace if the UN actually had the world's support to separate the combatants?

If only Russia agreed… And now there are also worries about WMD use against the people…
Père Ubu
Note to self "Read OP before posting"

Russia might see it as foreshadowing of their own situation, so they are unlikely to back down. And that is their next to last Boy down there, so again, they are unlikely to back down. One by one, a lot of their Boyz have been taken out lately, and the Capo di capos in Moskva is not happy.
IF the USA gets involved, I don't want it to go beyond McLean, VA providing organizational help to get the Gulf states to do all the gun and logistical help to the Free Syria Army.
Jack Batemaster
PèreOpie!!!
Père Ubu
I wish I was as rich as that bald headed mother fucker.
Jack Batemaster
Aussi Ricard qu'Absomph ?
Père Ubu
Oh, I haven't met the clown in person. Didn't know he was follicaly challenged.
Jack Batemaster
Il porte un tapis sur sa tête.
Père Ubu
Voila!

IPB Image
Jack Batemaster
Je dois dire, Absomph ne ressemble pas à cet homme…
Kirk
I don't know when it will fall apart but organizing is the beginning of the end.
I toured the Ohio Hopewell mounds recently. All across Ohio and West Virginia there are amazingly complex and accurately aligned architectural constructions. A highly advanced metal working and astronomical tradition arose coincident with these mounds. Finely made sheet copper and silver was forged into a large array of decorative and functional items including life size deer antlers and intricately repoused breast plates depicting fantastic gods.
The Hopewell culture survived for about 700 years, their trade network covered thousands of square miles. Until recently it was thought that a great density of population allowed such a flowering of art and culture but in the last decade it has been shown that these were primarily hunter gatherers who were entering a transition period to mas agriculture. No more than 3 Hopewell homes have ever been found in a group, no large villages were created in or near these pyramid like mounds. No large fields of crops were grown during the Hopewell Adena period. What's more the Hopewell had no complex political system. After the Hopewell culture ended there was zero metal work done in Eastern America and no mounds or pyramids were erected. What was accomplished in the post Adena period was mas agriculture and complex political systems, as well as large population centers. During the Indian wars in Indiana, the military found corn crops extending uninterrupted from Fort Wayne to South Bend, (they burned it all at harvest time).
When our countries fore fathers were seeking a new constitution they looked no further than the bi cameral system of the Iroquois, a very complex political system indeed. With these things in mind I am proposing a new theory of progress;
Large population, agricultural sciences and complex political systems can not be equated with cultural, artistic, or scientific progress.
Jaded Prole
Good food for thought. It wasn't just the Hopewell. In the Inca Empire, all the land was the Inca’s and large parts were allocated to the Temple of the Sun and other religious cults, others to the army, and yet others to the Crown. The rest which the state did not claim was granted to local communities for their subsistence production.

Inca Economics
Kirk
I know why guys like Tod Akin are against abortion in cases of legitimate rape;
they want to have a family,
protect the gene pool,
all those mean women keep aborting the bastards,
they want to settle down in a nice little compound,
It's the only way they can have off spring.
R3al Caravano
Those people are hilarious…Kirk, do rosemary and hyssop make decent companion plants? (No metaphor, literally)
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Kirk @ Aug 25 2012, 09:51 AM) *

I know why guys like Tod Akin are against abortion in cases of legitimate rape;
they want to have a family,
protect the gene pool,
all those mean women keep aborting the bastards,
they want to settle down in a nice little compound,
It's the only way they can have off spring.

The idea of such a buffoon breeding and raising children with his empty-headed drivel gives me night terrors.

The other reason why he said what he said is that he is a intellectually lazy jaw-droppingly stupid man, who "earns" his paycheck by appealing to voters who think that congress's job is to legislate their version of morality.

Of course this man surely thinks the earth is 6,000 years old, which no less stupid of an idea than the conjecture that women have some magic biologic process that blocks conception when they're raped.
Tibro
May I rape your icon?
Tibro
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Jul 18 2012, 12:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Tibro @ Jul 15 2012, 11:03 PM) *

If only Russia agreed… And now there are also worries about WMD use against the people…

How times change.
Tibro
Anybody see Kerry read his set piece to the senate? His tongue kept darting in and out of his mouth, taking the temperature. The heat was on and he was coiled to strike. He wanted to carry his venom out through the cameras to the public.

I don't trust a snake, particularly in its lair.

If the goods are good show them to the UN.
Jaded Prole
His tongue kept darting in and out of his mouth

Proof he is one of the Reptilian overlords.

Syriously though, he is a sickening shill and I'm proud to say I never voted for him. Syria is looking more and more like Bosnia circa 1914. Obama is finally becoming a uniter. He has united Americans accross the political spectrum against the idiocy with the exception of the most owned and beholden to our military-industrial interests and the most partisan Dimascraps.

We could use a little T-bagger obstruction on this in Congress.
Bruno Rygseck
Manufactiuring and storing chemical weapons is a crime in itself in my opinion, let alone deploying them on anyone. Russia should freeze any arms deliveries to the Syrian government, like, right now.
Jaded Prole
I agree. In this case (as with Iraq) England sold them the weapons and the components of production. The US has used chemical weapons including white phosphorus in the recent past. The hypocrisy is thicker than Texas Nimes. Bottom line: The US does not rule the world and has NO business bombing anyone. Let then UN and world courth do it's work and yes, embargo weapons and freeze banking accounts as needed.
Artemis
If the goods are good show them to the UN.

Where have I heard that before? But they moved them before the UN could find them. To Syria.
Tibro
The US and Russia both agree that chemical weapons have been used in Syria. The UN will soon confirm the fact, although you'd have to be an idiot to dispute it. Both cornermen should agree to forbid anymore of whatever brass knuckles they've been putting in their combatants' gloves. In fact, take their gloves away. Deny water and a cooling wave of the towel. And absolutely no more girls with a card for the next round number.

The signatories of the chemical weapons treaty are agreed that the treaty has been violated. They should act together to find out who perpetrated the violations. They need to resolve measures going forward to ensure it doesn't happen again. There is some agreement that can be built on.

Unfortunately, they will never agree on the best geopolitical outcome. And the house of cards comes tumbling down. Struck by cruise missiles.
Artemis
I had reference to the stuff that was in Iraq, but was moved to Syria before the UN could find it, according to a book written by an Iraqi general. You know, the stuff that existed only in the imagination of George Bush.
But I haven't actually seen the book, and maybe that's imaginary too. I heard this during the ten minutes of news on the Syria situation I heard night before last (the first I've heard, as I haven't been paying attention to the issue). Last night I watched several hours of it to see what it was all about and I saw Obama getting a bunch of shit about an answer to a question about some "red line", which I thought he didn't deserve, not on substance, because I saw him give the answer and what he was saying basically was that he didn't draw the line, the world did. And apparently he's right; various countries have been signatory to a treaty since the end of WWI that the use of chemical weapons won't be tolerated. But his demeanor left a lot to be desired (he's such an arrogant ass) and he could have explained it a lot better. As for the UN, it's about as useful as tits on the proverbial boar.
Tibro
The best line I've heard so far is that the US administration is proposing to become Al Qaeda's air force. Kerry though, apparently, has flatly denied the presence of Al Qaeda in Syria. Al Nusra, the largest and most militarist of the opposition forces, of course is not Al Qaeda. The fact remains though that they have avowed allegiance to Al Qaeda and the US has declared them a terrorist organization. Putin has declared Kerry a liar for splitting hairs.
Jaded Prole
You can blame the Brits for the presence of Nerve Gas. The US has already trained local death squad "rebels" who are no doubt raising bloody hell in Syria. Nothing positive has ever been accomplished with the US plan currently in action except that certain very influential industries make a lot of money at an unspeakable cost. This is still in large part the ongoing result of our former regional calamities going back decades.

Having used such heinous chemical weapons as white phosphorus in Iraq much less our history of helping supply Iraq with chemical weapons to use against Iran, we are in no position to get all indignant about international law.

Tibro
US military use of depleted uranium is another gracious gift that keeps on giving.
Artemis
I never thought of white phosphorus as a chemical weapon; more of a smoke/illumination agent that happens to take the hide off a rhino, but when you get right down to it, gunpowder is a chemical. Gamma rays put all that old-fashioned shit in the shade. People aren't going back to sticks and rocks unless they have to. And it might come to that.
Jaded Prole
Might come to that yet.
rob fritz

Now that's a great movie !
sbmac
Jaded Prole is correct; WP was admittedly (by the US) used as an enemy clearing agent in buildings and structures, against people, not simply as cover and smoke for their own movement. This use, is expressly illegal in combat. I believe this was in 2005, and I don't know if it has continued.

I personally find it very strange that a bullet, or being crushed by a tank in a trench, is
a more legal form of death, than any another in combat. The suffering of a soldier's loved ones, certainly is the same, either way.
Hillbilly
QUOTE(sbmac @ Sep 7 2013, 09:27 PM) *
or being crushed by a tank in a trench,
Is that literally an option? Are you offered the choice?
<------Prepares a small absinthe to begin watching 'Things to Come'.
Tibro
A bullet and a tank both have predictable trajectories that are under the control of the operator of the weapon. Gas is a bit more nebulous. Kind of like statements from the secretary of state. They can be taken on the wind to places they were never intended to go.
sbmac
This is true. Though both bullets and tanks have been used against civilians, on a fairly regular basis, by many, through many wars. I was merely commenting on what I perceive as irony, in the definition of "legal" weapons
in war, when countless are victimized by the legal ones as well.

Tibro
Look on the bright side, even if you can't deploy tear gas on your enemies during war it's still fair game to use it on your citizens during peacetime.
sbmac
yup, there's always that silver-lined cloud…. or in this case, grey.
Tibro
It's exceptional!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.